One-Shot in Ghostwalk?

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

One-Shot in Ghostwalk?

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 05, 2018 7:39 am

I just found an interesting topic on the DnD Reddit called One-Shot in Ghostwalk? (that sadly didn't get any replies there):
malsjal at Reddit wrote:I'm needing to run a little one shot in the city of Manifest (that's in the Ghostwalk setting for those of you unfamiliar). I have ideas of generic 'help the city watch with cadaver thieves' blah blah blah... I was just wondering if you all had anything at hand.
Help the city watch with cadaver thieves

The cadaver thieves idea is a good one. Grave robbers work with the Necromancers of Night Alley and the masterminds behind the plot would probably be based in The Gathering of Thanatos, in the Lower Level of the Undercity and working with cultists of Orcus.

There might not be enough time to deal with that in a one-shot game, but if the players wanted to continue on, it would give you a theme you could start a long-term campaign around.

The Necromancers of Night Alley section (pages 104-105 of the Ghostwalk book) also says this:
The Necromancers of Night Alley wrote:This is a place teeming with skeletons, zombies, and other undead creatures, as well as the criminal tomb robbers and ghostnappers employed by the necromancers. However, even many of these criminals are undead themselves. Ghouls in particular gather here late at night, then move in packs to the Tombyards. Skulking about, wrapped tightly in cloaks and using balms and perfumes to mask their deathly stench, these ghouls seek easy ways to break into the cripts and steal some bodies. Some of these, they bring back to the Gathering of Thantos to sell to necromancers, but others they keep...and consume.
So cadaver thieves wouldn't need to be living people working for the Gathering of Thantos. They could also be a bunch of disguised ghouls looking for a meal. :twisted:

I do like the idea of the cloaks, the balms and the perfumes. I think you could have the PCs discover a cloak at the scene of a grave robbery and then investigate to see if they can find any clues from it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: One-Shot in Ghostwalk?

Post by willpell » Sat May 05, 2018 8:57 pm

I don't use Reddit, but if the OP here wants to join the Piazza and run the game here, I'd be very on board with helping him.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 10, 2018 7:41 pm

willpell wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:57 pm
I don't use Reddit, but if the OP here wants to join the Piazza and run the game here, I'd be very on board with helping him.
Malsjal would be most welcome to come over. He has not logged in there for a while.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 10, 2018 9:44 pm

I got a suggestion from a lady in the Ghostwalk group on Facebook:
Elisabeth at the Ghostwalk group on Facebook wrote:How about tracking and stopping a Yuan-ti patrol trying to assess Manifest's military strength?
or
A mysterious device has appeared at Dras' Wondrous Devices. Any ghosts that approach it are 'fused' with any host body that stands nearby. Players must determine who placed the device at Dras' and why, then decide if they should destroy it, give it to one of the temples, etc.
She told me that Dras's Wondrous Devices is on page 96 of the Ghostwalk book. I had a reread of the section and didn't have any additional ideas from the canon, but the fact that Dras's is in Portal Ward does mean that the player characters could carry her mysterious device down to the Grand Portal and try throwing it through into the True Afterlife.

I wonder how many ghosts would end up getting fused to host bodies, before the PCs could deal with the device.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri May 11, 2018 8:29 pm

What exactly does "fused to a host body" entail here? Possession? Haunting? Does it only work on corpses, and if not, is the living person displaced? (I don't have the book handy here, but I suspect it doesn't answer very many of these questions anyway, or I'd likely have noticed it on previous readthroughs, incomplete though they are.)

Also, I've never gotten why exactly Ghostwalk pushes the Yuan-Ti as the major bad guys. I'd overwhelmingly prefer Xaphan. Having established that ghosts aren't undead, and that being dead isn't so bad as long as you keep your body safe, it's perfectly obvious that a necromancer-run nation is the Joker to this particular Batman.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 12, 2018 12:45 am

willpell wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:29 pm
What exactly does "fused to a host body" entail here? Possession? Haunting? Does it only work on corpses, and if not, is the living person displaced? (I don't have the book handy here, but I suspect it doesn't answer very many of these questions anyway, or I'd likely have noticed it on previous readthroughs, incomplete though they are.)
Elisabeth was probably talking about an item power based on Ghost Powers from the Path of the Dominator. That's the Ghostwalk Path that involves Possession.

The Path of the Dominator has six feats connected to occupying other people's bodies: Corpse Maelvolence, Expanded Possession, Ghost Ride, Grande Malevolence and Minor Malevolence.

The Ghost Powers from those feats only last a certain amount of time. But Elisabeth's idea seems to be permanent.

Maybe the ghosts that are fused are just riding (as per the Ghost Ride feat) or maybe they are supposed to have control. Or maybe the Ghost and the host both roll every round to see who has control of the physical body. I didn't ask her.
willpell wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:29 pm
Also, I've never gotten why exactly Ghostwalk pushes the Yuan-Ti as the major bad guys. I'd overwhelmingly prefer Xaphan. Having established that ghosts aren't undead, and that being dead isn't so bad as long as you keep your body safe, it's perfectly obvious that a necromancer-run nation is the Joker to this particular Batman.
The Yuan-Ti are not the major bad guys - they are one of the major factions.

If Xaphan was the only faction, there would be less challenge to Ghostwalk adventures, as everything would be an Orcus plot and the PCs would never really need to look to see if anyone else was up to anything.

Return to “Ghostwalk”