Are Artaagliths in other D&D products?

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Are Artaagliths in other D&D products?

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Ghostwalk has a monster, called an Artaaglith, which is a ram-headed demonic servant of Orcus. I looked at the 3rd Edition Monster Index and they are not in any other 3e product, but have they been used in earlier editions of D&D?

They do seem like something that would be used in the Planescape product line, or in the 1e or 4e Manual of the Planes.

I am assuming that these critters would have been living on the Outer Planes before the cultists of Orcus invaded Inuitea. And I am assuming that the Araagliths would originally have been involved in the Blood War, up until the time they were summoned to the Material Plane. So which plane is the most likely home plane for the Artaagliths? And is there any sort of area on that plane that is more tied to Orcus that the rest of that plane?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Are Artaagliths in other D&D products?

Post by Havard » Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 pm

Great find!

I have never heard about this creature, but that doesn't mean it has not been used before.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Are Artaagliths in other D&D products?

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri May 11, 2018 9:41 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:16 pm
Ghostwalk has a monster, called an Artaaglith, which is a ram-headed demonic servant of Orcus. I looked at the 3rd Edition Monster Index and they are not in any other 3e product, but have they been used in earlier editions of D&D?
No, but there have been similar goat or ram demons in other editions. The bulezau, from Planes of Chaos originally, is similar (though they're associated with Baphomet more than Orcus). The 2e and 3e Diablo sourcebooks had goat demons too.
So which plane is the most likely home plane for the Artaagliths?
They're demons, so the Abyss.
And is there any sort of area on that plane that is more tied to Orcus that the rest of that plane?
Orcus's realm in the Abyss is called Thanatos.

Return to “Ghostwalk”