[Ghostwalk] Sean K. Reynold's sketch map found

"And if I die I'll see you in Manifest before I go."
The Book-House: Find the Ghostwalk book.

Moderator: Big Mac

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Ghostwalk] Sean K. Reynold's sketch map found

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:55 pm

I just found a thread on ENWorld called Ghostwalk countries map (sketch) posted! that used to link to Sean K. Reynolds' sketch map of Ghostwalk.

The link in his post no longer works, but thanks to the Wayback Machine, you can now download Sean's original map of the Ghostwalk Campaign Setting and compare it to the one published by WotC (which is included in the 2nd Ghostwalk Web Enhancement).

I've not yet had a chance to compare the two maps, but this map has some very interesting details on it.

I would love to know if Sean has any more things (setting things) for Ghostwalk that were cut out of the final product.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Ghostwalk] Sean K. Reynold's sketch map found

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:10 pm

Big Mac wrote:I've not yet had a chance to compare the two maps, but this map has some very interesting details on it.
The biggest changes seem to be:
  • The Turin River is slightly shorter on the WotC map (it doesn't start in the Valin Mountains),
  • The Grey Towers (and Trin) have been moved slightly east on the WotC map (and lead towards Lake Kerl rather than Lair of Saurivdartak),
  • Sean's map includes an "off the map" location called Jajin, that is not included on the WotC map,
  • Sean's map includes an "off the map" dotted line that continues the Durham Coast, and another dotted line (a river, geographic border or country border) forks away from the coastline,
  • Sean's map has the geographical border Chenurall Forest continue "off the map" and
  • Sean's map has an "off the map" dotted line (a river, geographic border or country border) forking away from the Varlin Mountains at a 90 degree angle (west of Chenurall Forest).
I generally think that the WotC map looks a lot better than Sean's map, but do wonder about those things that he was working on at the design stage. Those mysterious dotted lines are interesting enough that I might try to contact him to ask what they are. Obviously they got cut from the WotC map, as Sean had not properly included them inside his box, so I don't "blame" the cartographer for the omissions.

Both maps miss the following things (all page numbers are from the main Ghostwalk book):
  • Falar (south west of Lake Dallin in Bazareene on page 138) and on the border of Durrath is missing from both Sean's sketch map and the WotC version (I would guess that the road to the south of Lake Dallin is the road to Falar),
  • Durrath (the country to the west of Bazareene mentioned in the Falar section) is also missing from both maps (as is the western border of Bazareene),
  • The Hikirian Peninsula (containing the forest that Manifest is within on pages 138-139) is not named on either map,
  • The Spirit Wood (the forest containing Manifest on pages 113-114) is not named on either map,
  • The Hidden Palace Glen (the home of the Aboreal Guardians within the Spirit Wood on page 114) is not shown on either map (to be fair it might be too small to see at that scale or might be something only the GM is supposed to know about),
  • The Howling Vale (also within the Spirit Wood on page 114) is not shown on either map (and may also be too small or a GM-only feature),
  • The Lairs of the White Hound (close to Chualla and Argalos, from what I can tell, on page 139) are not shown on either map (perhaps because they are temporary*),
  • The Manifest Ward (the magical zone around Manifest on page 222) is not shown on either map (again, it may be too small to show, but I'm not sure if it is larger or smaller than the Spirit Wood),
  • Sura-Kiri aka The Forest Home (the forest to the north west of the map containing Corenial Maskanastacia, Thalth Lanalusa,and Kavaniivaediir on pages 143-147) is not named on either map,
  • Porune (northeast of Sevvil in Tereppex on page 150) is listed as not on the map in the book (it is the border town, where Tereppex trades with the nomads of Temaaki),
  • "Temaaki lands" (the lands north of Tereppex mentioned in the Porune section) are not shown on either map,
  • Jajin (in Thurkasia on page 153) already mentioned above as only being on Sean's map (I guess that the road from Valarn leads there).
* = Perhaps Sean should have listed Nila, the White Hound in another way. A monster entry for White Hound might have been a good way to fit her into the setting (as a unique creature). I wonder if Nila uses Ghostwalk abilities to return from the dead if killed. :?

Anyhoo, I would love to see a fan made map that restores Sean's additional features from his sketch map and adds in the things that were never there. (I might cast a Summon Dave L. spell on this thread! :twisted: )
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:23 pm

The link from ENWorld to the map doesnt seem to be working :(

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:03 pm

Big Mac wrote:The link in his post no longer works, but thanks to the Wayback Machine, you can now download Sean's original map of the Ghostwalk Campaign Setting and compare it to the one published by WotC (which is included in the 2nd Ghostwalk Web Enhancement).
Emphasis mine. ;)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:06 pm

Thanks TAD! :oops: :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:36 am

Big Mac wrote:Those mysterious dotted lines are interesting enough that I might try to contact him to ask what they are.
I just heard back from Sean K. Reynolds about two of the three dotted lines:
Sean K. Reynolds wrote:David!
1) The dotted line extending southeast from the coast is a continuation of the coastline.
2) The dotted line extending southwest from that dotted coastline is a river.
<snip>
Sean
It is awesome that he took the time to get back to me. As I feared, he does not recall much more about the other places that are off of the map.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:23 pm

I've found out that someone called sim_james* made his own Ghostwalk map. But sadly, the map seems to have been taken down by Livejournal. :(

* = If I'm right sim_jim is the James O'Rance that did some really cool maps for Dragonlance.

I wonder if he still has a copy on his own computer. :?

TBeholder
Hill Giant

Post by TBeholder » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:11 pm

Big Mac wrote: [*]The Grey Towers (and Trin) have been moved slightly east on the WotC map (and lead towards Lake Kerl rather than Lair of Saurivdartak),
And 3 towns on the road were moved E more, so that Trin is E of the Towers rather than W and Kerl-Paluak road is almost equal to Paluak-Reldek rather than close to 1:2.
Also, the cartographer's patience for placing hills so that roads zigzag between them ended before the path N of Nonaull. :)
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." - Michele Carter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:00 pm

TBeholder wrote:
Big Mac wrote: [*]The Grey Towers (and Trin) have been moved slightly east on the WotC map (and lead towards Lake Kerl rather than Lair of Saurivdartak),
And 3 towns on the road were moved E more, so that Trin is E of the Towers rather than W and Kerl-Paluak road is almost equal to Paluak-Reldek rather than close to 1:2.
Also, the cartographer's patience for placing hills so that roads zigzag between them ended before the path N of Nonaull. :)
Thanks. I'll have to recheck that.

I wonder if any of the text refers to the relative position of any of these features.

Return to “Ghostwalk”