Land of the Frost Giants

Hear the wind rush by with each powerful flap of your scaled wings. You are a dragon - majestic, invincible, supreme!
The Book-House: Find Council of Wyrms products.

Land of the Frost Giants

Postby Havard » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:22 pm

This label is found to the north of Io's Blood Isles on the map from the Council of Wyrms Boxed Set.

What is known about this land?

How would you use it in a Council of Wyrms game?

What creatures might be found here besides Frost Giants?

What source books might be useful for expanding on this region?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Land of the Frost Giants

Postby Angelika Tatsu » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:14 am

Havard wrote:What source books might be useful for expanding on this region?
I am not that familiar with Council of Wyrms. I used to own the Box Set and the hardcover but had to sell them many moons ago. Anyway, here's my two cents on this.

For a land concerning frost giants, I am sure that Frostburn would come in handy. Giantcraft, a Forgotten Realms 2E book, might prove to be useful. Against The Giants (1E) and Storms Kings Thunder would be good modules to use. For STK, some finagling would be necessary to adapt it from Storm Giants to Frost Giants, but still doable. I am not familiar with ATG so I am not sure how much work it would be to convert it from the intended rule-set to another.
In morte veritá.

Projects: Erath (TBD), Sundered Realms
Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:19 am

Havard wrote:What creatures might be found here besides Frost Giants?

White dragons are most likely to be going up against frost dragons. I forget which, if any, metallic dragons are cold loving. And I don't know if any of the gem dragons are cold loving, but I would have guessed that there would be metallic dragons and gem dragons in the north who could come to blows with frost giants.

The SRD has some rules for Arctic Races and I think it could be reasonable to use the variations on the humanoid races that CoW uses. It shouldn't be too hard to compare these to 2nd Edition variant races to see how to retroconvert any of them. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby The Dark » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:30 am

Big Mac wrote:

White dragons are most likely to be going up against frost dragons. I forget which, if any, metallic dragons are cold loving. And I don't know if any of the gem dragons are cold loving, but I would have guessed that there would be metallic dragons and gem dragons in the north who could come to blows with frost giants.

The SRD has some rules for Arctic Races and I think it could be reasonable to use the variations on the humanoid races that CoW uses. It shouldn't be too hard to compare these to 2nd Edition variant races to see how to retroconvert any of them. :)
Only gold doesn't prefer temperate or warmer climes among the metallics (gold are "any"). Silver are immune to cold, but their climate listing is "Tropical, sub-tropical, temperate".

Among the gems, amethyst like cold lakes, crystal like cold mountains, sapphire are any subterranean, and topaz are cold seacoast. They also will all live in temperate lands, but those are the ones that list cold in their climate description. The crystal and topaz dragons would be particularly apt, since they are immune to normal cold.

Frost giant lands would also seem to be a good place to insert linnorms.
The Dark
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:23 pm

The Dark wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Only gold doesn't prefer temperate or warmer climes among the metallics (gold are "any"). Silver are immune to cold, but their climate listing is "Tropical, sub-tropical, temperate".

Among the gems, amethyst like cold lakes, crystal like cold mountains, sapphire are any subterranean, and topaz are cold seacoast. They also will all live in temperate lands, but those are the ones that list cold in their climate description. The crystal and topaz dragons would be particularly apt, since they are immune to normal cold.

Frost giant lands would also seem to be a good place to insert linnorms.

What are linnorms?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:What are linnorms?

Linnorm is an old Scandinavian word that means more or less the same thing as dragon or serpent.

I know an old issue of Dragon Magazine presented Linnorms as dragon-like monsters for AD&D 2nd Edition. I dont know if they appeared in later editions as well?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:17 am

Havard wrote:I know an old issue of Dragon Magazine presented Linnorms as dragon-like monsters for AD&D 2nd Edition. I dont know if they appeared in later editions as well?

Linnorms were introduced in a two-part article in Dragon #182 and #183, and reprinted in the Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume One.

In 3rd edition, they were in the Monster Manual II, and in "The Ecology of the Linnorm" in Dragon #356.

In the Pathfinder RPG, the Pathfinder Bestiary has the crag linnorm, ice linnorm, and tarn linnorm. The Bestiary 3 includes the cairn linnorm, fjord linnorm, taiga linnorm, and tor linnorm. Lands of the Linnorm Kings details a unique linnorm named Fafnheir.

Briefly, linnorms are wingless, serpentine dragons, more bestial than true dragons.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Zeromaru X » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:20 am

I was convinced that Drakes and Linnorns were the same thing in D&D...
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Return to Council of Wyrms