D&D Attack Wing: Perfect for CoW?

Hear the wind rush by with each powerful flap of your scaled wings. You are a dragon - majestic, invincible, supreme!
The Book-House: Find Council of Wyrms products.

D&D Attack Wing: Perfect for CoW?

Postby Havard » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:42 pm

http://wizkids.com/attackwing/dnd-attack-wing/

Has anyone played Wizkids' D&D Attack Wing? What do you think of using this with Council of Wyrms? It seems like a perfect combination. D&D Attack Wing is a miniatures mini game focusing mainly on Dragons fighting other dragons, though other creatures can also be bought for the game.

What do the rest of you think about combining the two? AFAIK D&D Attack Wing has no setting, so Council of Wyrms might be useful for Attack Wing fans as well?

Has anyone checked this out? I have the starter set and two extra figures (Shadow Dragon and Pegasus), but I have yet to play it.

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: D&D Attack Wing: Perfect for CoW?

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:00 am

Havard wrote:AFAIK D&D Attack Wing has no setting, so Council of Wyrms might be useful for Attack Wing fans as well?

According to the website you linked to, D&D Attack Wing is connected to the Forgotten Realms:
D&D Attack Wing page on WizKids website wrote:D&D Attack Wing is a Dungeons & Dragons tactical flight and ground combat miniatures game, featuring pre-painted dragons, siege weaponry, and troops from the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms universe.

However, I couldn't find any references to Forgotten Realms in the quickstart PDF on that page. The Rules of Play PDF does mention Forgotten Realms, but only in the same way as that webpage. I see no actual Realms content in the meat of the PDF.

I did see something potentially raidable though. Page 34 of the Rules of Play PDF says that they have something called the Primordial Graveyard campaign storyline in the starter set, that continues through the first 19 expansion sets. Perhaps Primordial Graveyard can be converted into a Council of Wyrms adventure path. :cool:

D&D Attack Wing: Rules of Play wrote:CAMPAIGN ARTIFACTS
This Starter Set comes with 3 Campaign Artifact Upgrades, and more Artifacts will become available in future expansion sets. To add to the flavor of the storyline, players should not equip these Upgrades until after they have earned them during a particular Adventure (see “After the Battle Paragraphs” above). Players who have won a particular Artifact should record this in the Adventure Log. During a future Adventure, that player can choose to include one (and only one) Campaign Artifact that he has earned, but he must pay the Legion Point Cost for that Upgrade as normal. When playing the same Adventure multiple times, a player should not be able to use the same Artifact in more than one session of that particular Adventure. This encourages players to try different Artifacts that they have earned when playing the same Adventure multiple times.

There are two adventures:
  • ADVENTURE #1: IN FOR A PENNY, IN FOR A POUNDING and
  • ADVENTURE #2: AMBUSH IN THE VALLEY

Both adventures are a bit simplistic, compared to tabletop adventure modules, but I think they could be used as the basis for plot hooks in a Council of Wyrms game.

The artifacts in set one seem to be:
  • Aerobat Amulet (Adventure 1),
  • Iron Tail Spike (Adventure 1) and
  • Ring of Swift Breath (Adventure 2).

It looks like these artefacts are described on cards that come with the sets. If you have a look at the cards, you can probably see how easy it would be to convert the artefacts into D&D items.

There also seems to be three named dragons to go with the three minis in this set. There doesn't seem to be much detail in the Rules of Play book. But maybe there is something else in there that gives you more of a biography.

So it looks like each set would give you:
  • 3(?) miniatures,
  • 3(?) dragon names that can be converted into NPC dragons (or maybe pregens),
  • A couple of "adventures"
  • A few artefacts.

It's all probably going to be based on close-up combat, so I think that a pure Primordial Graveyard plotline might be a bit monotonous for tabletop play, but if the Primordial Graveyard adventures were used as the action pieces in a campaign where the GM added a lot of non-combat encounters to join up the "adventures" it could be a lot of fun. And if the "adventures" can be played in any order, it could make for a very flexible campaign, where the PCs have a lot of choice.

Perhaps the way to incorporate the named dragons in the sets could be to decide which dragon in an "adventure" is the "defending" dragon and swap out the other dragons for the PCs. (Or use the other dragons at NPCs that the PC dragons speak to before having a battle with the defending dragon and winning an artifact.) :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Coronoides » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:51 pm

I know nothing about this.
Let's say that at the end of a campaign the Council fails and Dragon-War covered the Isles.
Would attack wing provide a way to run mass combats involving large numbers of dragons?
What about vassal ground troops, are there rules for ground troops?
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article
Coronoides
Gnoll

Postby Havard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Coronoides wrote:I know nothing about this.
Let's say that at the end of a campaign the Council fails and Dragon-War covered the Isles.
Would attack wing provide a way to run mass combats involving large numbers of dragons?
What about vassal ground troops, are there rules for ground troops?

AFAIK the game focuses on skirmishes between dragons, so I don't know how many dragons it could handle. The game does provide rules for ground troops however and you can buy hobgoblins, gobins, sun elves and other ground troop packs to be used with the game. Other flying creatures are available as well.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Council of Wyrms