CoW References in other editions?

Hear the wind rush by with each powerful flap of your scaled wings. You are a dragon - majestic, invincible, supreme!
The Book-House: Find Council of Wyrms products.

CoW References in other editions?

Postby Havard » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:52 pm

Did any editions after 2nd Ed contain references to Council of Wyrms or Io's Blood Island Chain?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: CoW References in other editions?

Postby Zeromaru X » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:16 pm

In Nerath's setting, metallic dragons of old conformed a society named literally the "Council of Wyrms", although it its different from that of CoW setting, as it was originally composed only of metallic dragons. That changed with the foundation of Arkhosia, when some "illuminated" chromatics joined the Council (this is briefly mentioned in the 4e draconomicons).

In the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, when the dragon princes of Murghôm meet to talk and that stuff, their reunion was called also the "Council of Wyrms".

Beyond that, I guess that the dragon civilizations of Arkhosia and Argonessen (Eberron) somehow are based on the idea of the Io's Blood Island Chain civilization: a land were dragons of all kind live in one organized society that defend itself from the threat of other humanoid races. Argonessen mostly (an isolated land of dragons).
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Marsupialmancer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:55 pm

That's fascinating, I had no idea they'd reused the name for those settings! It kind of gives me this weird head-canon that the Io's Blood Island Chain was on some manner of proto-world near the dawn of time from whence dragons immigrated to other worlds and brought some of that society with them.

Realistically it's probably just an homage name-drop for Nerath and Returned Abeir, but still cool.
Marsupialmancer
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:49 am

Zeromaru X wrote:In Nerath's setting, metallic dragons of old conformed a society named literally the "Council of Wyrms", although it its different from that of CoW setting, as it was originally composed only of metallic dragons. That changed with the foundation of Arkhosia, when some "illuminated" chromatics joined the Council (this is briefly mentioned in the 4e draconomicons).

In the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, when the dragon princes of Murghôm meet to talk and that stuff, their reunion was called also the "Council of Wyrms".

Hmm. There were a lot of rebooted D&D adventure locations added into Nentir Vale.

I wonder if this was literally supposed to be the Council of Wyrms, with a Points of Light twist to it. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:26 pm

Marsupialmancer wrote:That's fascinating, I had no idea they'd reused the name for those settings! It kind of gives me this weird head-canon that the Io's Blood Island Chain was on some manner of proto-world near the dawn of time from whence dragons immigrated to other worlds and brought some of that society with them.

Isn't Council of Wyrms supposed to be set in the distant past? :?

Maybe the dragons of the CoW planet eventually spread out (via planewalking and spelljamming) to colonise some/most* of the worlds in the multiverse.

* = Delete as applicable. ;)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:37 pm

Big Mac wrote:Isn't Council of Wyrms supposed to be set in the distant past? :?

I have always assumed that the Blood Island Chain described in CoW takes place contemporary to the other AD&D 2nd Ed settings of the 1990s. Of course there is nothing wrong with moving it to the past, but I don't think that was one of the assumptions of the boxed set/had back.

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:07 pm

Havard wrote:

I have always assumed that the Blood Island Chain described in CoW takes place contemporary to the other AD&D 2nd Ed settings of the 1990s. Of course there is nothing wrong with moving it to the past, but I don't think that was one of the assumptions of the boxed set/had back.

Maybe I've been given incorrect information.

Having it set at the same time as other 2nd Edition Era campaign settings would certainly make crossover gaming *cough* Wyrmspace *cough* easier.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Coronoides » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:06 am

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:

Having it set at the same time as other 2nd Edition Era campaign settings would certainly make crossover gaming *cough* Wyrmspace *cough* easier.

Well its actually deliberately vague about when and where it is hence 'campaign option' to be dropped into other campaign worlds. However page 7 book 1 quote "The time is the distant past, the world an unnamed sphere much like Toril or Oerth yet subtly different."
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article
Coronoides
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 am

Coronoides wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:

Well its actually deliberately vague about when and where it is hence 'campaign option' to be dropped into other campaign worlds. However page 7 book 1 quote "The time is the distant past, the world an unnamed sphere much like Toril or Oerth yet subtly different."

Thanks Coronoides.

That is "proof" that the CoW world is not in Realmspace or Greyspace. I'm not sure it the term proves a Spelljammer connection. I'm guessing that the sphere is the world that has no name.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Coronoides » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:10 am

I've been to a sphere with a world with no name, it felt good to get out of the rain...
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article
Coronoides
Hobgoblin

Postby Coronoides » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:43 am

To muddy the waters Dragon issue 315 outright states that Slavicsek intended the Council of Wryms to be able to be dropped into the ocean of any campaign world.
Coronoides
Hobgoblin

Postby Boneguard » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Coronoides wrote:I've been to a sphere with a world with no name, it felt good to get out of the rain...

Well so need a "like" button. Although catching the reference does show my age.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Return to Council of Wyrms