Origin and Legacy of the Council of Wryms

Hear the wind rush by with each powerful flap of your scaled wings. You are a dragon - majestic, invincible, supreme!
The Book-House: Find Council of Wyrms products.

Origin and Legacy of the Council of Wryms

Postby Coronoides » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:17 pm

Anything I’m mistaken about or have missed?

The 2e era saw the introduction of many iconic campaign settings. These introduced many ideas, especially character races, that influenced later editions of D&D including the current 5e. While Council of Wryms never had the popularity of Planescape or Ravenloft, the Council of Wryms has also greatly influenced later editions. Council of Wryms did win the 1994 Origins Award for Best Roleplaying Adventure. Unlike other settings Council of Wryms was only ever intended to be a single boxed set, though there were a number of articles for the setting in Dragon and Dungeon magazines.
I think the first mention of playing dragons as PCs in an official D&D book was in the 1e DMG. Gygax mentioned shapeshifting gold dragons as a monster likely to join a band of adventurers and then proceeded to try to convince you not to do it. No rules were provided. Despite Gary’s advice numerous fans tried to write home brew AD&D dragon PC rules. My version of dragon PCs for AD&D 2e can be found in RPG Review Issue 9. At the time I was play-testing my version Bill Slavicsek was writing the first official D&D PC dragon rules, the Council of Wryms. Bill’s Dragons were a monstrous race class presaging those seen in Savage Species of 3e. Dragons as a PC race would re-emerge during the 3e era in Savage Species, the Draconomicon, and Dragon magazine issue 320. The rules for PC dragons in the 3e Draconomicon included sudden increases in power on attaining age categories like those in Council of Wryms and also suggests each player controls two PCs (one dragon, one humanoid) as is done in Council of Wryms. The idea of dragons ascending to become godlike appears the Council of Wryms and is made a prestige class in the 3e Draconomicon. The Draconomicon also included a Dragon Kith prestige class which was a 3e version of the bonded humanoids called ‘kindred’ in Council of Wryms. Towards the end of the 3e era WOTC released ‘Dragon Magic’ which despite the title is a guide to settings heavily influence by dragons or living under dragon rule. Notably, Bill Slavicsek was ‘Director of RPG R&D’ for WOTC during this period.
Council of Wryms also introduced the earliest half-dragons. These were a PC race of humanoids who undergo a slow transformation into a humanoid creature with dragon powers, quite unlike the ‘bipedal dragon’ versions seen in later editions. Council of Wryms half dragons were a design ancestor of today’s dragonborn who were originally members of other races who transformed in Races of the Dragon 3e. They became a true independent race in 4e. The 4e backstory of the dragonborn also included an empire ruled by dragons though it differed greatly from the Council of Wryms.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article
User avatar
Coronoides
Bugbear
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:18 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Origin and Legacy of the Council of Wryms

Postby Zeromaru X » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Interesting compilation! I've always loved the lore of Council of Wryms (and all draconic lore of D&D, in fact!) and its interesting to know how CoW influenced current D&D. Never have played it but since a I got the book always have loved it.

However, a minor clarification. According to Dragon Mag 365, the 4e dragonborn (and hence, the 5e ones) aren't based in the half-dragons. They were based in the actual dragons of Council of Wryms. Or rather, in the concept of having a draconic humanoid playable race (dragonborn are full draconic creatures, not unlike true dragons—they are not hybrids, or dragonlike, or something like that).
User avatar
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:24 am

Re: Origin and Legacy of the Council of Wryms

Postby Coronoides » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:36 am

Zeromaru X wrote:Interesting compilation! I've always loved the lore of Council of Wryms (and all draconic lore of D&D, in fact!) and its interesting to know how CoW influenced current D&D. Never have played it but since a I got the book always have loved it.

However, a minor clarification. According to Dragon Mag 365, the 4e dragonborn (and hence, the 5e ones) aren't based in the half-dragons. They were based in the actual dragons of Council of Wryms. Or rather, in the concept of having a draconic humanoid playable race (dragonborn are full draconic creatures, not unlike true dragons—they are not hybrids, or dragonlike, or something like that).


Yes and no. Re-reading that that article the evolution is clearly dragon then dragon-humanoids including the 3e transforming dragonborn then the modern 4-5e dragonborn. Half-dragon of CoW who are dragon-humanoids who so closely resemble the original transforming 3e dragonborn are obviously more direct ancestors than CoW dragons.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article
User avatar
Coronoides
Bugbear
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:18 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Origin and Legacy of the Council of Wryms

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:26 pm

Coronoides wrote:Anything I’m mistaken about or have missed?


Very interesting topic. You are more of an expert on dragons, than me, so I'm not sure I can spot things that you "missed", but I've got a few comments.

Coronoides wrote:The 2e era saw the introduction of many iconic campaign settings. These introduced many ideas, especially character races, that influenced later editions of D&D including the current 5e. While Council of Wryms never had the popularity of Planescape or Ravenloft, the Council of Wryms has also greatly influenced later editions. Council of Wryms did win the 1994 Origins Award for Best Roleplaying Adventure.


There was definitely something going on during AD&D. It actually started mid-way through the 1e era (although that was long before Council of Wyrms was written). I've been trying to learn more about the smaller D&D campaign settings, since I joined The Piazza. I originally thought they all came out in the 2e era, but I had overlooked settings like Conan and Lankhmar that came out in the 1e er

I'm actually keeping an eye on the relative popularity of various small campaign settings (including Council of Wyrms). I was doing it privately for years, but posted a topic about Piazza forums "levelling up" back in June.

Coronoides wrote:Unlike other settings Council of Wryms was only ever intended to be a single boxed set, though there were a number of articles for the setting in Dragon and Dungeon magazines.


Actually, Spelljammer was originally intended to only be a single boxed set. TSR changed their mind about it and decided to extend it into a larger product line.

I wonder what might have happened if Council of Wyrms had been extended into a product line and Bill Slavicsek had been asked to write more...and more...and more, and had been forced to extend beyond his original goal.

Coronoides wrote:I think the first mention of playing dragons as PCs in an official D&D book was in the 1e DMG. Gygax mentioned shapeshifting gold dragons as a monster likely to join a band of adventurers and then proceeded to try to convince you not to do it. No rules were provided. Despite Gary’s advice numerous fans tried to write home brew AD&D dragon PC rules. My version of dragon PCs for AD&D 2e can be found in RPG Review Issue 9.


I didn't know you had written for a magazine. That's pretty cool. I don't think I've heard of RPG Review before (although the name rings a bell). Did it have any articles on Council of Wyrms?

Coronoides wrote:At the time I was play-testing my version Bill Slavicsek was writing the first official D&D PC dragon rules, the Council of Wryms. Bill’s Dragons were a monstrous race class presaging those seen in Savage Species of 3e. Dragons as a PC race would re-emerge during the 3e era in Savage Species, the Draconomicon, and Dragon magazine issue 320.


That kind of highlights the difference between the 2e Era and the 3e Era. You get the same sort of creativity with concepts (like playable dragons), but while 2e tended to at least give us a sandbox where the context of weird rules would be "normal", 3e tried to go with the idea of selling weird ideas as something that works anywhere. I really like 3rd Edition - it's my favourite edition of D&D - but I do prefer the 2nd Edition way of building entire campaign worlds that support a funky idea and make it a central theme.

I would much rather learn more about Io's Blood Islands than find out how to raid it's bst ideas and shoehorn them into 3e, 4e or 5e campaign settings. However, the fact that Bill Slavicsek might have been dropping rebooted Council of Wyrms concepts into core 3e products is pretty interesting.

I've seen a few people suggest that the Council of Wyrms planet evolved into the Dragonlance planet. But with core 3e books having a "Greyhawk lite" theme, that could mean that some of the culture of Io's Blood Islands actually made it's way off world and ended up on Oerth. I'll have to have a search to see if Bill Slavicsek wrote any Forgotten Realms or Ebrron sidebars that would give Toril or Eberron a "Council of Wyrms transplant". ;)

Coronoides wrote:The rules for PC dragons in the 3e Draconomicon included sudden increases in power on attaining age categories like those in Council of Wryms and also suggests each player controls two PCs (one dragon, one humanoid) as is done in Council of Wryms.


I guess that part of that is down to the best ideas from Council of Wyrms being folded back into the core rules. But I'll have to have a good read through Draconomicon, at some point. :)

Coronoides wrote:The idea of dragons ascending to become godlike appears the Council of Wryms and is made a prestige class in the 3e Draconomicon. The Draconomicon also included a Dragon Kith prestige class which was a 3e version of the bonded humanoids called ‘kindred’ in Council of Wryms.


There is something similar to this in Dark Sun. It's not exactly the same, but they have humanoids using magic to turn into godlike dragons. They don't quite have bonded humanoids. Instead they have priesthoods.

I don't know how much Bill Slavicsek might have been influenced by Dark Sun's dragons, but it's possible that 3e sources might have been inspired by Dark Sun as much as by Council of Wyrms.

Coronoides wrote:Towards the end of the 3e era WOTC released ‘Dragon Magic’ which despite the title is a guide to settings heavily influence by dragons or living under dragon rule. Notably, Bill Slavicsek was ‘Director of RPG R&D’ for WOTC during this period.


I guess I will have to read through Dragon Magic too. It's by Owen K. C. Stephens and Rodney Thompson. I don't know if either of them was a fan of Council of Wyrms. I wonder if they were trying to cut Council of Wyrms down from a foreground theme into a background theme.

Coronoides wrote:Council of Wryms also introduced the earliest half-dragons. These were a PC race of humanoids who undergo a slow transformation into a humanoid creature with dragon powers, quite unlike the ‘bipedal dragon’ versions seen in later editions.


I wonder if this sort of rule would allow people to raid the background themes from Council of Wyrms and put them into other campaign settings.

Coronoides wrote:Council of Wryms half dragons were a design ancestor of today’s dragonborn who were originally members of other races who transformed in Races of the Dragon 3e. They became a true independent race in 4e. The 4e backstory of the dragonborn also included an empire ruled by dragons though it differed greatly from the Council of Wryms.


I've seen plenty of Dragonlance fans who think that dragonborn are rebooted draconians. Draconians are humanoid creatures created from dragon eggs and are one of the central themes of the campaign setting.

Have you looked at Eberron? It largely reboots D&D's central themes. And there is an entire continent ruled by dragons. I don't know if Keith Baker every played Council of Wyrms, but I bet that some of the central themes of Council of Wyrms could fit into Eberron.

Conversely, I think that things like Dragonmarks and the Prophecy (a dragon prophecy) might work well in a Council of Wyrms game.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21503
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Origin and Legacy of the Council of Wryms

Postby Coronoides » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:59 am

Big Mac wrote:There was definitely something going on during AD&D. It actually started mid-way through the 1e era (although that was long before Council of Wyrms was written). I've been trying to learn more about the smaller D&D campaign settings, since I joined The Piazza. I originally thought they all came out in the 2e era, but I had overlooked settings like Conan and Lankhmar that came out in the 1e er

I'm actually keeping an eye on the relative popularity of various small campaign settings (including Council of Wyrms). I was doing it privately for years, but posted a topic about Piazza forums "levelling up" back in June.


What is the system to determine which settings get their forum? I should look it up.

Big Mac wrote:Actually, Spelljammer was originally intended to only be a single boxed set. TSR changed their mind about it and decided to extend it into a larger product line.

I wonder what might have happened if Council of Wyrms had been extended into a product line and Bill Slavicsek had been asked to write more...and more...and more, and had been forced to extend beyond his original goal.


I think Slavicsek would have liked that. He wrote several articles for Dragon mag and Dragons and other themes in CoW were revisited by team he led in the 3e era.

Big Mac wrote:I didn't know you had written for a magazine. That's pretty cool. I don't think I've heard of RPG Review before (although the name rings a bell). Did it have any articles on Council of Wyrms?


Fanzine really. Put out by the RPG Review Cooperative here in Australia. Although I have no editorial input on the fanzine I am Vice President of the group. So there’s that. No CoW stuff (yet) but we did do a TSR special you might find interesting. As for CoW articles there will likel be some eventually but if you have read my material here they will seem. Very familiar ;)

Big Mac wrote:That kind of highlights the difference between the 2e Era and the 3e Era. You get the same sort of creativity with concepts (like playable dragons), but while 2e tended to at least give us a sandbox where the context of weird rules would be "normal", 3e tried to go with the idea of selling weird ideas as something that works anywhere. I really like 3rd Edition - it's my favourite edition of D&D - but I do prefer the 2nd Edition way of building entire campaign worlds that support a funky idea and make it a central theme.


I would much rather learn more about Io's Blood Islands than find out how to raid it's bst ideas and shoehorn them into 3e, 4e or 5e campaign settings. However, the fact that Bill Slavicsek might have been dropping rebooted Council of Wyrms concepts into core 3e products is pretty interesting.


I mostly agree, but classic fantasy archetypes hundreds of years old IRL (like dragon or giant characters) should be in the toolkit of home-brew world builders.


Big Mac wrote:... I'll have to have a search to see if Bill Slavicsek wrote any Forgotten Realms or Ebrron sidebars that would give Toril or Eberron a "Council of Wyrms transplant". ;)


Check out ecology of the Dragonborn for 4e. It is available free and legal from WOTC

Big Mac wrote:
Coronoides wrote:The rules for PC dragons in the 3e Draconomicon included sudden increases in power on attaining age categories like those in Council of Wryms and also suggests each player controls two PCs (one dragon, one humanoid) as is done in Council of Wryms.


I guess that part of that is down to the best ideas from Council of Wyrms being folded back into the core rules. But I'll have to have a good read through Draconomicon, at some point. :)


Only if you can stand typos and other editing nightmares. I feel dirty for having paid good money for such sloppy work.

Big Mac wrote:
Coronoides wrote:The idea of dragons ascending to become godlike appears the Council of Wryms and is made a prestige class in the 3e Draconomicon. The Draconomicon also included a Dragon Kith prestige class which was a 3e version of the bonded humanoids called ‘kindred’ in Council of Wryms.


There is something similar to this in Dark Sun. It's not exactly the same, but they have humanoids using magic to turn into godlike dragons. They don't quite have bonded humanoids. Instead they have priesthoods.


It is also something like the half-dragon transformation in CoW. I think the whole transformation thing was 2e attempt at working arround the limits inherent in the game system. The 3e method was LA.

Big Mac wrote:I guess I will have to read through Dragon Magic too. It's by Owen K. C. Stephens and Rodney Thompson. I don't know if either of them was a fan of Council of Wyrms. I wonder if they were trying to cut Council of Wyrms down from a foreground theme into a background theme.


Flicking through Dragon magic it looks more like a tool-kit. You could build a lot of different settings including a 3e CoW if you had dragon PC rules from another source.

Big Mac wrote:
Coronoides wrote:Council of Wryms also introduced the earliest half-dragons. These were a PC race of humanoids who undergo a slow transformation into a humanoid creature with dragon powers, quite unlike the ‘bipedal dragon’ versions seen in later editions.


I wonder if this sort of rule would allow people to raid the background themes from Council of Wyrms and put them into other campaign settings.


A dragon magazine article shortly after the boxed set release enables half-dragons in other settings and CoW advises that dragons can’t be ported but Half-dragons could. I actually disagree, half dragons are way more potent than other 2e races.

Big Mac wrote:I've seen plenty of Dragonlance fans who think that dragonborn are rebooted draconians. Draconians are humanoid creatures created from dragon eggs and are one of the central themes of the campaign setting.


Note I said “a design ancestor” not ‘the’.

Big Mac wrote:Have you looked at Eberron? It largely reboots D&D's central themes. And there is an entire continent ruled by dragons. I don't know if Keith Baker every played Council of Wyrms, but I bet that some of the central themes of Council of Wyrms could fit into Eberron.

Conversely, I think that things like Dragonmarks and the Prophecy (a dragon prophecy) might work well in a Council of Wyrms game.

I remain almost entirely ignorant of Eberron but if I find the time (unlikely) I’ll look into it.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article
User avatar
Coronoides
Bugbear
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:18 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Origin and Legacy of the Council of Wryms

Postby Big Mac » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:28 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Big Mac wrote:There was definitely something going on during AD&D. It actually started mid-way through the 1e era (although that was long before Council of Wyrms was written). I've been trying to learn more about the smaller D&D campaign settings, since I joined The Piazza. I originally thought they all came out in the 2e era, but I had overlooked settings like Conan and Lankhmar that came out in the 1e er

I'm actually keeping an eye on the relative popularity of various small campaign settings (including Council of Wyrms). I was doing it privately for years, but posted a topic about Piazza forums "levelling up" back in June.


What is the system to determine which settings get their forum? I should look it up.


Well, it's an interesting story.

To start off, The Piazza was originally set up in 2008, as a response to Wizards of the Coast deciding to merge a bunch of forums for old D&D campaign settings into a single forum. The staff at Gleemax thought there were not enough fans of the old settings and wanted to simplify their forum structure. The fans objected and said that putting all the conversations in a single forum would have fans of one setting knocking the conversations of the fans of another setting off of the first page.

Gleemax didn't take any notice of the fans who begged for the merger plan to be cancelled, so Ashtagon set up The Piazza and reproduced all the lost forums. However, Ashtagon wasn't just interested in supporting "old school" stuff, so she added a forum for Eberron. She also added forums for various D&D rules.

Most of this happened within the first few days of Ashtagon opening up The Piazza, but some of the expansion came later on. That's where the "system" that you mentioned came in.

After that "big bang phase", where it was obvious what niche forums needed to be built here, there were some people (including me) who were saying the opposite of what Gleemax was saying. (Instead of merging conversations into single multi-purpose forums - how about making new forums for settings that never had forums at Gleemax?) People were saying it would be nice if The Piazza could support the smaller and less well known campaign settings that WotC never supported.

The only problem was that the fans were not here yet. There are other forums on the Internet that have created empty subforums that nobody has ever posted in. Ashtagon didn't want that to happen here.

So The Piazza has a "if they come we will build it" policy (rather than an "if we build it they will come" policy).

The exact details are in the Forum Request Thread, but the basic system (at least as I post this - it gets reviewed over time) comes down to this 5-10-1 rule:
  • There needs to be at least 5 people discussing a campaign setting,
  • Those fans need to create at least 10 different topics about the campaign setting they like and
  • 1 of the fans needs to make a formal request in the Forum Request Thread

(If you look at the [Council of Wyrms] Has anyone played Council of Wyrms? topic, you can see it was posted (by me) in 2008. That was before the Council of Wyrms forum existed, so that topic was one of the "10" topics that helped "win" a bespoke Council of Wyrms forum here...and I am one of the "5" forum members who helped demonstrate that several people liked CoW. But it took a pretty long time to get this forum. That's why the forum ID for this forum is "103" and other - older - forums have lower forum IDs.)

Coronoides wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Actually, Spelljammer was originally intended to only be a single boxed set. TSR changed their mind about it and decided to extend it into a larger product line.

I wonder what might have happened if Council of Wyrms had been extended into a product line and Bill Slavicsek had been asked to write more...and more...and more, and had been forced to extend beyond his original goal.


I think Slavicsek would have liked that. He wrote several articles for Dragon mag and Dragons and other themes in CoW were revisited by team he led in the 3e era.


I think he would have liked it too. With the original boxed set being a fully stand-alone product, he would have had to find a way to revisit existing ideas or add detail onto the edges of the world. Maybe we could ask him some day. :)

Coronoides wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I didn't know you had written for a magazine. That's pretty cool. I don't think I've heard of RPG Review before (although the name rings a bell). Did it have any articles on Council of Wyrms?


Fanzine really. Put out by the RPG Review Cooperative here in Australia. Although I have no editorial input on the fanzine I am Vice President of the group. So there’s that. No CoW stuff (yet) but we did do a TSR special you might find interesting. As for CoW articles there will likel be some eventually but if you have read my material here they will seem. Very familiar ;)


Sounds good. Maybe it will help revive interest in the setting.

Coronoides wrote:
Big Mac wrote:That kind of highlights the difference between the 2e Era and the 3e Era. You get the same sort of creativity with concepts (like playable dragons), but while 2e tended to at least give us a sandbox where the context of weird rules would be "normal", 3e tried to go with the idea of selling weird ideas as something that works anywhere. I really like 3rd Edition - it's my favourite edition of D&D - but I do prefer the 2nd Edition way of building entire campaign worlds that support a funky idea and make it a central theme.

I would much rather learn more about Io's Blood Islands than find out how to raid it's bst ideas and shoehorn them into 3e, 4e or 5e campaign settings. However, the fact that Bill Slavicsek might have been dropping rebooted Council of Wyrms concepts into core 3e products is pretty interesting.


I mostly agree, but classic fantasy archetypes hundreds of years old IRL (like dragon or giant characters) should be in the toolkit of home-brew world builders.


True.

Coronoides wrote:
Big Mac wrote:... I'll have to have a search to see if Bill Slavicsek wrote any Forgotten Realms or Ebrron sidebars that would give Toril or Eberron a "Council of Wyrms transplant". ;)


Check out ecology of the Dragonborn for 4e. It is available free and legal from WOTC


I'll have to go look for that.

Coronoides wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Coronoides wrote:The rules for PC dragons in the 3e Draconomicon included sudden increases in power on attaining age categories like those in Council of Wryms and also suggests each player controls two PCs (one dragon, one humanoid) as is done in Council of Wryms.


I guess that part of that is down to the best ideas from Council of Wyrms being folded back into the core rules. But I'll have to have a good read through Draconomicon, at some point. :)


Only if you can stand typos and other editing nightmares. I feel dirty for having paid good money for such sloppy work.


I already own it. :P

Coronoides wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Coronoides wrote:The idea of dragons ascending to become godlike appears the Council of Wryms and is made a prestige class in the 3e Draconomicon. The Draconomicon also included a Dragon Kith prestige class which was a 3e version of the bonded humanoids called ‘kindred’ in Council of Wryms.


There is something similar to this in Dark Sun. It's not exactly the same, but they have humanoids using magic to turn into godlike dragons. They don't quite have bonded humanoids. Instead they have priesthoods.


It is also something like the half-dragon transformation in CoW. I think the whole transformation thing was 2e attempt at working arround the limits inherent in the game system. The 3e method was LA.


I kind of thought that dragons (non-Dark Sun ones) were supposed to hybernate on top of a pile of treasure to transform into the next size up.

Coronoides wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I guess I will have to read through Dragon Magic too. It's by Owen K. C. Stephens and Rodney Thompson. I don't know if either of them was a fan of Council of Wyrms. I wonder if they were trying to cut Council of Wyrms down from a foreground theme into a background theme.


Flicking through Dragon magic it looks more like a tool-kit. You could build a lot of different settings including a 3e CoW if you had dragon PC rules from another source.


Thanks.

Coronoides wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Coronoides wrote:Council of Wryms also introduced the earliest half-dragons. These were a PC race of humanoids who undergo a slow transformation into a humanoid creature with dragon powers, quite unlike the ‘bipedal dragon’ versions seen in later editions.


I wonder if this sort of rule would allow people to raid the background themes from Council of Wyrms and put them into other campaign settings.


A dragon magazine article shortly after the boxed set release enables half-dragons in other settings and CoW advises that dragons can’t be ported but Half-dragons could. I actually disagree, half dragons are way more potent than other 2e races.


Is that one of the Dragon articles that got added to the Campaign Option: Council of Wyrms hardback.

Coronoides wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I've seen plenty of Dragonlance fans who think that dragonborn are rebooted draconians. Draconians are humanoid creatures created from dragon eggs and are one of the central themes of the campaign setting.


Note I said “a design ancestor” not ‘the’.


Fair enough. :)

I might be tempted to design a back-formation ancestor of the draconians and use it in a setting like Council of Wyrms. (I say "might" because I'm still learning about Council of Wyrms and need to improve my understanding of the campaign setting to work out what things fit best with it.)

Coronoides wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Have you looked at Eberron? It largely reboots D&D's central themes. And there is an entire continent ruled by dragons. I don't know if Keith Baker every played Council of Wyrms, but I bet that some of the central themes of Council of Wyrms could fit into Eberron.

Conversely, I think that things like Dragonmarks and the Prophecy (a dragon prophecy) might work well in a Council of Wyrms game.

I remain almost entirely ignorant of Eberron but if I find the time (unlikely) I’ll look into it.


There is an Eberron forum at The Piazza if you want to ask questions. ;)

You might also find Eberron Wiki useful. (The dragon controlled continent is called Argonnessen.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21503
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK


Return to Council of Wyrms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest