Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons mention of CoW

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons mention of CoW

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:44 am

Zeromaru said that Council of Wyrms got a minor reference in Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons over in Havard's List of Dragons.

How minor a reference was it?

Did they just namecheck Council of Wyrms or was there some sort of suggestion of doing something in Nentir Vale that was similar to something from Council of Wyrms canon?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons mention of CoW

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:32 am

Its just really minor. Its says that in the ancient past, when Io died during the Dawn War and Bahamut and Tiamat arose as gods, the first metallic dragons recognized the chromatics as an enemy of all the metallic dragon races. Those first metallics allied and vowed to aid each other regardless of personal motives and obsessions whenever chromatic dragons became a threat to the world. This alliance was called the Council of Wyrms.

In the Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons, the Council is not directly mentioned, but is stated that in time some chromatic dragons joined the metallic dragons when they created the dragonborn and draconic empire of Arkhosia.

So, its implied the Council ceased to be with the fall of Arkhosia.

I don't think there is a link to the Council of Wyrms setting, just a minor homage.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:16 am

Zeromaru X wrote:Its just really minor. Its says that in the ancient past, when Io died during the Dawn War and Bahamut and Tiamat arose as gods, the first metallic dragons recognized the chromatics as an enemy of all the metallic dragon races. Those first metallics allied and vowed to aid each other regardless of personal motives and obsessions whenever chromatic dragons became a threat to the world. This alliance was called the Council of Wyrms.
I'm not too familiar with the in-character history in Council of Wyrms. I wonder how well the Dawn War story would fit as the ancient history of Council of Wyrms.
Zeromaru X wrote:In the Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons, the Council is not directly mentioned, but is stated that in time some chromatic dragons joined the metallic dragons when they created the dragonborn and draconic empire of Arkhosia.
So is Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons supposed to be set after Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons. (I thought it was published first.)
Zeromaru X wrote:So, its implied the Council ceased to be with the fall of Arkhosia.
Someone said, elsewhere, that Council of Wyrms was said to be in the past of other D&D settings. I wonder how well Council of Wyrms would work as an Arcane Age-style version of Nentir Vale.

Zeromaru X wrote:I don't think there is a link to the Council of Wyrms setting, just a minor homage.
Yep. It sounds similar to the way that Nentir Vale raids various things from Greyhawk and Mystara.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:54 am

Big Mac wrote:I'm not too familiar with the in-character history in Council of Wyrms. I wonder how well the Dawn War story would fit as the ancient history of Council of Wyrms.
In CoW dragons fought each other before the foundation of the council. And the council was made up by all the dragon species of 2e, not just metallics. So, the history in Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons, doesn't fit.
Big Mac wrote:So is Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons supposed to be set after Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons. (I thought it was published first.)
There is no timeline for those books. So, you can say that both books "happen at the same time". But the books are quite specific in their subjects. So, Draconomincon: Chromatic Dragons focus in the history of chromatics, mentioning other species of dragons just if needed. Same with Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons, it just focus in the stuff of metallic dragons, with a few mentions to other species if needed to comprehend the whole story of the metallic dragon race.
Big Mac wrote:Someone said, elsewhere, that Council of Wyrms was said to be in the past of other D&D settings. I wonder how well Council of Wyrms would work as an Arcane Age-style version of Nentir Vale.
With a few modifications, yeah. You can make Arkhosia look like the civilization described in CoW. In my Nentir Vale campaign, my version of Arkhosia is a mix of CoW, the dragons of Argonessen from Eberron, and Iomandra (the home campaing of Chris Perkins in 4e). Though, my dragonborn were more japanese than europeans in culture.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:40 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I'm not too familiar with the in-character history in Council of Wyrms. I wonder how well the Dawn War story would fit as the ancient history of Council of Wyrms.
In CoW dragons fought each other before the foundation of the council. And the council was made up by all the dragon species of 2e, not just metallics. So, the history in Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons, doesn't fit.
I guess this would need to be some sort of Points of Light reboot of the Council of Wyrms. :)
Zeromaru X wrote:
Big Mac wrote:So is Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons supposed to be set after Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons. (I thought it was published first.)
There is no timeline for those books. So, you can say that both books "happen at the same time". But the books are quite specific in their subjects. So, Draconomincon: Chromatic Dragons focus in the history of chromatics, mentioning other species of dragons just if needed. Same with Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons, it just focus in the stuff of metallic dragons, with a few mentions to other species if needed to comprehend the whole story of the metallic dragon race.
I was looking at the blurb for both books and it seemed to suggest that they feature new types of dragons. I don't know if they are ones that are not included in the Council of Wyrms campaign setting.
Zeromaru X wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Someone said, elsewhere, that Council of Wyrms was said to be in the past of other D&D settings. I wonder how well Council of Wyrms would work as an Arcane Age-style version of Nentir Vale.
With a few modifications, yeah. You can make Arkhosia look like the civilization described in CoW. In my Nentir Vale campaign, my version of Arkhosia is a mix of CoW, the dragons of Argonessen from Eberron, and Iomandra (the home campaing of Chris Perkins in 4e). Though, my dragonborn were more japanese than europeans in culture.
Perhaps Arkhosia could be another continent on the same world as Io's Blood Islands. :?

That way, they could both have the same themes. but Arkosia could be a dark version of Io's Blood Islands.

Return to “Nentir Vale”