List of Dragons

Hear the wind rush by with each powerful flap of your scaled wings. You are a dragon - majestic, invincible, supreme!
The Book-House: Find Council of Wyrms products.
The Dark
Hill Giant

Re: List of Dragons

Post by The Dark »

Coronoides wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:47 am
Sorry what is MC3 ???
Monstrous Compendium 3. It's the Forgotten Realms Appendix, which has the Lung dragons (along with about 30 pages of dinosaurs, because that's what I associate the Forgotten Realms with...). Sorry, meant to spell it out the first time it was mentioned and accidentally edited it out of my post as I was rewriting it.

Cromstar
Bugbear

Post by Cromstar »

The Dark wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:17 am
I was poking through the Monstrous Manual and MC3 today and noticed something odd. MM dragons get their base hit dice at age category 4 (Juvenile). MC3 dragons get their base hit dice at age category 5 (Young Adult). Comparing the age category tables:

MC3 dragons have the same hit die modifiers for the first 3 age categories (-6, -4, -2), but are 1 hit die lower at every category after that.
MC3 dragons have a -1 combat modifier at all age levels.
MC3 dragons have 5 yards less fear radius at all age levels.
MC3 dragons have a weaker fear radius (+1 to save) at all age levels compared to chromatic/metallic dragons.

I'm tempted to tweak the hit die modifier by adding 1 Hit Die to every category above Young, since the MC3 entries use the Juvenile AC as base but the Young Adult HD as base, which makes approximately zero sense. This would bring them in line with the MM entries and (I think) make conversion to CoW easier. The other differences I'm OK with, since they provide a bit of contrast to the MM dragons that were used in CoW (along with Lung being less maneuverable in the air).
I believe this was intentional because lungs were meant to be weaker than traditional western-style dragons physically, but generally more magical in nature.

The Dark
Hill Giant

Post by The Dark »

Oh, I'm fine with all the other changes. It's just the Hit Die age category things that bugs me, because it looks so much like an error.

Return to “Council of Wyrms”