[Council of Wyrms] Pitch a Campaign

Hear the wind rush by with each powerful flap of your scaled wings. You are a dragon - majestic, invincible, supreme!
The Book-House: Find Council of Wyrms products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Council of Wyrms] Pitch a Campaign

Post by Havard » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:13 pm

I like the idea of playing a Dragon, but what would a typical Council of Wyrms campaign look like? From a DM's perspective I think I might be struggling. Thoughts?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Re: [Council of Wyrms] Pitch a Campaign

Post by Boneguard » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:04 pm

From a GM perspective you have a few options:

- Enemy at the Gate: Either an invading human or giant force...or both and you need to defeat them;
- Enemy within: Despite being working together, they are Dragon afterall, so a lot of infighting. This is more of a social campaign;
- Uprise: One of the clan decided it was enough and they rebel against the power in place;
- They Stole my Baby: Some eggs went missing, the Dragon (or rider) are asked to find them;
- Where's my treasure: Same idea, but with money;

To give you an idea the Boxed Set/Book has 4 adventures:
- As you hatch out of your eggs, you realise that there are egg thieves and you must fight the off.
- While visiting some Amethyst Dragon on Council business, you arrive at a dwarven village who has capture a White Dragon and want to put it to death, you must find out what is going on and save the Dragon.
- You are sent to deal with Giant Marauder...and find out something much worse: Dragonslayers.
- An Ancient enemy returns and steal they Dragon's Hoard. Now it's a race aganist the clock.

Dungeon Magazine has 1 adventure:
- A single dragon and its rider fight the minion of an Enemy within the Isles.

For the Kindred (eg the rider) any traditionnal adventure works.
Last edited by Boneguard on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Marsupialmancer
Orc

Post by Marsupialmancer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:04 pm

I would probably have a great time playing in or DMing a Council of Wyrms sandbox game. Dragons are powerfully motivated to accrue territory and treasure, so a hexploration, monster-raiding, territory-expanding game around a mutually shared central area could be quite compelling, at least to me. :)

For a more intrigue-based game, it stands to reason that there's plenty of inter-clan politics that go on where dragon territorial borders come close or outright overlap. As an example, reds and coppers sometimes share territory, so the entire campaign arc could take place largely in the lands of two nearby clans of those breeds. Players could be assigned by the Council to be the stewards of the clan dispute that takes place over decades, with overtures of a clan war (the failure condition) or vassals engaging in espionage being the norm. Maybe even opportunistic giants roll in to take advantage of the tensions.

Since the Isles are so huge and it's easy to imagine places even the dragons don't check, you could also have a great campaign arc where the player characters are pitted against a violent and expansionist humanoid kingdom that doesn't overtly threaten their clan's territory, and so doesn't warrant Council involvement (and thus raw overpowering isn't an option). Maybe there's even a wicked green dragon dominate whose vote continues to block Council involvement, because he even has a stake in that humanoid kingdom's expansion, and it gets uncovered throughout the course of the campaign.

Gosh, so many ideas! :D

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:23 pm

Good ideas, Marsupialmancer. Kingmaker/Ultimate Campaign has some info on kingdom building and expansion.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:47 pm

How about if a dragon falls in love with a non-dragonslayer human who is stranded on the Isles, and then has to protect this paramour against their entire society, who assumes the human is a spy.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:22 pm

Havard wrote:I like the idea of playing a Dragon, but what would a typical Council of Wyrms campaign look like? From a DM's perspective I think I might be struggling. Thoughts?
I stalled on choosing between the boxed set and the hardback reprint a few years ago, and haven't got around to buying either yet. But I believe that the main idea of Council of Wyrms is that you have a dragon PC, for dragon action and you also have a human/demi-human/humanoid PC for the action that dragons can not do themselves.

I guess the human/demi-human/humanoid would maybe count as the dragon's cohort. Or maybe they would be friends or partners or whatever. But what with dragons ageing to grow, I'm guessing that you would keep the same dragon over the generations, but swap out the "normal" PC over time. And maybe the "normal" PC would get killed off, and the dragon would find a new companion.

(I guess you could even do it the other way, if the dragon PC got killed off.)

Anyhoo, I think you need a campaign where a dragon needs to interact with the "lesser races" to some respect. And I think you need to have both small action (maybe in dungeons or small buildings) where the "normal" PC is the one that can solve problems...but...also have big scale action (probably in the open air) where a dragon gets to use its flight and fighting abilities to solve problems.

Dragonlance has dragonriders fighting alongside dragons and it would also be fun to have some combats like that, where a player gets to use both of their PCs at the same time.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:25 pm

Boneguard wrote:Dungeon Magazine has 1 adventure:
- A single dragon and it's rider fight the minion of an Enemy within the Isles.
Do you recall the name of that...and the issue it is in?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:28 pm

Big Mac wrote:Anyhoo, I think you need a campaign where a dragon needs to interact with the "lesser races" to some respect. And I think you need to have both small action (maybe in dungeons or small buildings) where the "normal" PC is the one that can solve problems...but...also have big scale action (probably in the open air) where a dragon gets to use its flight and fighting abilities to solve problems..
This.

Something I think could be a fun campaign is to have a group of dragons protecting a small human/demihuman community (village or town or whatever). That would give them reason to interract with the mortals of that community as well as their enemies. Rival towns or enemy empires might have dragons of their own. This way you could run some almost standard adventure ideas, just from a different perspective. The PCs could still be contacted by the local mayor to chase down a tribe or Orcs etc, especially at early levels and then make things more epic as the dragon gains level and increases in power.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:37 pm

If I was going to use Council of Wyrms, I would probably build "Wyrmspace"* and have wildspace dragon clans that live on asteroids, moons and worlds, who get human/demi-human/humanoid folk to build and operate spelljamming ships that they can hop onto to cross from one celestial body to another.

* = Not sure if that name is already in use.

By not making the dragons have natural spelljamming ability (they don't anyway according to the standard rules) they would be forced to cooperate with smaller folk.

You could mix many of the standard Spelljammer tropes (dwarven asteroid miners, the Elven Navy, the various human power blocs) but you could also have a lot of humans and other races that had strong dragon-ties in their culture.

The idea of dragons being there (as the local lords) would change cultures and it would be fun to build that sort of thing in.

It would also be fun to run spelljamming combat, where a dragon PC could bail out over the side of their ship, open up their wings and start moving around the hex combat grid at tactical speed. That might allow for space dragon-on-dragon action with the ships either staying out of it (if it was something like a duel) or joining in (if it was a dirty fight).

It could be a lot of fun, but I would need to improve my Council of Wyrms fu in order to get the right vibe.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:41 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Anyhoo, I think you need a campaign where a dragon needs to interact with the "lesser races" to some respect. And I think you need to have both small action (maybe in dungeons or small buildings) where the "normal" PC is the one that can solve problems...but...also have big scale action (probably in the open air) where a dragon gets to use its flight and fighting abilities to solve problems..
This.

Something I think could be a fun campaign is to have a group of dragons protecting a small human/demihuman community (village or town or whatever). That would give them reason to interract with the mortals of that community as well as their enemies. Rival towns or enemy empires might have dragons of their own. This way you could run some almost standard adventure ideas, just from a different perspective. The PCs could still be contacted by the local mayor to chase down a tribe or Orcs etc, especially at early levels and then make things more epic as the dragon gains level and increases in power.
What I'm kind of thinking for this sort of setup is England, after the Battle of Hastings, where the Normans invaded and replaced the Anglo-Saxon nobility...

...but instead of having Norman nobility ruling Anglo-Saxon serfs, you have dragon nobility ruling human/demi-human serfs. (And it doesn't need to be a dragon invasion. It can be like that for thousands of years and feel "normal" to everyone.)

If someone comes and starts killing a farmer's sheep they complain to the local authorities, which ultimately would end up with the local dragon-lord. But that dragon might have human knights and other petty-nobility, who are elite humans in positions as high as humans can get in society.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:41 pm

Big Mac wrote:
[...] But I believe that the main idea of Council of Wyrms is that you have a dragon PC, for dragon action and you also have a human/demi-human/humanoid PC for the action that dragons can not do themselves.

I guess the human/demi-human/humanoid would maybe count as the dragon's cohort. Or maybe they would be friends or partners or whatever. But what with dragons ageing to grow, I'm guessing that you would keep the same dragon over the generations, but swap out the "normal" PC over time. And maybe the "normal" PC would get killed off, and the dragon would find a new companion.
[...]
I own both and can help here.

Every Player plays 2 characters: His dragon and the Dragon's Kindred. The idea is that both character enter a partnership and helps each other. Usually you play one or the other of your character, but sometimes both at the same time. IIRC, there is also a mechanic to help gain XP/Gold even when that character is not adventuring.

The idea behind the second character is that a dragon needs to sleep a lot and must age to advance level/Age group, so during the dragon downtime (which can last years even decades), the Kindred do stuff for him. That KIndrerd will be an Elf, a dwarf, a gnome or a half-dragon (certain dragon favor certain race). These race are favored du to their longer lifespan, making them more suited for the job. Human would never be chosen as they are a "racial" enemy and halfling are unknown. I guess a DM could rule and allow some long living humanoid races as an unusual Kindred.
Big Mac wrote:
Boneguard wrote:Dungeon Magazine has 1 adventure:
- A single dragon and its rider fight the minion of an Enemy within the Isles.
Do you recall the name of that...and the issue it is in?
Dungeon Magazine issue #48

Sleeping Dragon
by Bill Slavicsek
In dreams, your ancestor calls to you for aid. Something foul has come to Silver Island. An AD&D Council of Wyrms adventure for a level 6 dragon PC.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Big Mac wrote:I stalled on choosing between the boxed set and the hardback reprint a few years ago, and haven't got around to buying either yet. But I believe that the main idea of Council of Wyrms is that you have a dragon PC, for dragon action and you also have a human/demi-human/humanoid PC for the action that dragons can not do themselves.
Or which are beneath a dragon's dignity, or which he "doesn't have time" to attend to (because he's too busy counting his gold).
(I guess you could even do it the other way, if the dragon PC got killed off.)
The dragon wouldn't have to die, nor even to go to sleep. Sometimes he'll just have shit to do for the next several decades, and he'll cut his former compatriot loose for the rest of its mortal lifetime. (Dwarves and elves live almost as long as dragons, but other races might be less enduring, particularly if you ignored the enforced fluff and allowed humans.)
Boneguard wrote:In dreams, your ancestor calls to you for aid. Something foul has come to Silver Island. An AD&D Council of Wyrms adventure for a level 6 dragon PC.
Please tell me that they don't have one island for each of the dragon races, known exclusively as "Color Island" for that color.....

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:55 pm

willpell wrote:Please tell me that they don't have one island for each of the dragon races, known exclusively as "Color Island" for that color.....
Why not? I would be totally ok with that.

But no, they don't. Here's a map of Io's Blood Isles.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:02 pm

Amusingly, my workplace's filtering software blocks that link not because it's Games, but rather as "Cult and Occult"....

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:19 pm

LOL :)

Google Io's blood isles. The map is available on multiple sites.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:20 am

So I'm going to do a campaign inspired by the hints in the boxed set but also quite 'sandboxy'. THe random encounter cards are full of good stuff to use as starting points. Here's one...

Scales of Doom
The jungles not controlled by dragons are home to advanced lizardfolk and their enemies the yuan-ti (C10). Also in the jungle are primitive humans descended from dragon slayers stranded centuries ago. Before starting this one throw in a sighting of a reptilian gargantua in a previous adventure or otherwise ensure the players know that gargantua are part or the setting or they might cry foul. The adventure begins with vassals in a village near the jungle reporting attacks in the night be rotting corpses. The player will suspect necromancers or perhaps a dracolich. However, if they capture a ju ju zombie they will realise these are not elf corpses but humans! The zombies have terrible wounds as if they had fought in a battle. Observant PCs will spot live humans directing the zombies. These humans reveal they are refugees. For some reason the yuan-ti have intensified their efforts to capture and transform humans and a building an army. PCs must head into the jungle full of deadly predators to investigate these claims. Be sure to throw in another gargantua sighting. It transpires the yuan-ti are building up their forces because their divinations indicate the lizardfolk are about to unleash a terrible new weapon. If this new threat is neutralised then things can go back to normal. Investigating the lizardfolk reveals their shamans have finally uncovered the magic to control reptilian gargantua. The PCs must stop the gargantua and stop the shamans from using the ritual again, probably by killing the lot of them in an epic battle.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/magh66x3ly8q5 ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:38 pm

It's a great idea. However, by the setting human are pretty much on par with orc in the eyes of the Islanders, I expect them to massacre the human (keep in mind, no one speaks (human) common) on sight, then have the dragons come and sanitize the island for good mesure.

I would recommend getting ready 2 or 3 alternate means to drop important information, if you don't want your playersite to go in unprepared.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:28 am

Boneguard wrote:It's a great idea. However, by the setting human are pretty much on par with orc in the eyes of the Islanders, I expect them to massacre the human (keep in mind, no one speaks (human) common) on sight, then have the dragons come and sanitize the island for good mesure.

I would recommend getting ready 2 or 3 alternate means to drop important information, if you don't want your playersite to go in unprepared.
Yeh, your right the whole thing as written hinges on the players wondering why the humans suddenly started attacking the village. Without that hook they'll never get involved and have no idea until the Lizardfolk army and gargantuas march out of the jungle.
Can yuan-ti convert elves? If so if the PCs just kill the humans next a armed force of yuan-it emerges from the jungle and starts transforming vassals wholesale. The Yuan-ti priests have enough magical fire-power to *make* the PCs pause to talk.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/magh66x3ly8q5 ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:13 pm

Coronoides wrote: [...]
Can yuan-ti convert elves? If so if the PCs just kill the humans next a armed force of yuan-it emerges from the jungle and starts transforming vassals wholesale. The Yuan-ti priests have enough magical fire-power to *make* the PCs pause to talk.
To be honest, I'm not sure, but, if not, that would be a bit of acceptable rulebending in my book (due to the nature of the setting) to allow you to push your plot forward.

The whole idea is too great to let it go to waste

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:21 am

Big Mac wrote:If I was going to use Council of Wyrms, I would probably build "Wyrmspace"* and have wildspace dragon clans that live on asteroids, moons and worlds, who get human/demi-human/humanoid folk to build and operate spelljamming ships that they can hop onto to cross from one celestial body to another.

By not making the dragons have natural spelljamming ability (they don't anyway according to the standard rules) they would be forced to cooperate with smaller folk.

You could mix many of the standard Spelljammer tropes (dwarven asteroid miners, the Elven Navy, the various human power blocs) but you could also have a lot of humans and other races that had strong dragon-ties in their culture.

The idea of dragons being there (as the local lords) would change cultures and it would be fun to build that sort of thing in.

It would also be fun to run spelljamming combat, where a dragon PC could bail out over the side of their ship, open up their wings and start moving around the hex combat grid at tactical speed. That might allow for space dragon-on-dragon action with the ships either staying out of it (if it was something like a duel) or joining in (if it was a dirty fight).

It could be a lot of fun, but I would need to improve my Council of Wyrms fu in order to get the right vibe.
I imagine this is Dragon*Star would have looked like before a 'unified' dragon-spanning empire.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:15 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:If I was going to use Council of Wyrms, I would probably build "Wyrmspace"* and have wildspace dragon clans that live on asteroids, moons and worlds, who get human/demi-human/humanoid folk to build and operate spelljamming ships that they can hop onto to cross from one celestial body to another.

I imagine this is Dragon*Star would have looked like before a 'unified' dragon-spanning empire.
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with DragonStar. Is the society similar to Council of Wrms?

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:59 pm

Hatred Beyond Death
In the decades after Scales of Doom (above) the human population in the jungle increases rapidly now that their competitors the lizardfolk and yuan-it are weakened. Undead Dragonslayers of Firestorm realise that there is the makings of a second dragon slayer army in the jungles. This causes a civil war as the Undead overthrow the shamans who have been sacrificing young men to make ju-ju zombies. These spared youth and anyone able to swing a weapon are trained in dragon slayer fighting techniques by the skeleton warriors. The undead also arm the humans from ancient stockpiles and begin to teach them to forge iron. All of this is done as secretly as possible to avoid dragons discovering the army before it is ready. Eventually, though rumours start to be whispered and the PCs go to investigate. Following clues they uncover an army of nascent dragon-slayers hidden in the jungle. They must then convince the Council of what they have seen. The Chromatic Clans will call for utter extermination of the humans in an all out war. Are the PCs ok with the extermination of an entire people? Can they sway the Council to another more measured course of action?

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:42 am

The Hidden Menace
Canon
Intelligent cave fishers capture slaves to sell to the aboleth (Card 9). The aboleth dream of conquest but for the moment
act through the drow (Card 9). The drow are hated by the subterranean Clan Warclaw because a war fought in living
memory of the dragons. That war started due to a surprise attack by the drow.
Non-canon extra details
The cave fishers speak Deep Speech and trade with the aboleth but otherwise keep their distance. I assume that there
is not a lot of contact with the surviving drow who dwell deep beneath beneath the Earth. Those who talk to with the
ancients of Clan Warclaw or consult histories of the war between the sapphire dragons and the drow will learn of
drow who worshipped a spider goddess, normal drow like those who dwell on other worlds. PCs who hear of the
drow who are vassals of Chlor of Clan Foulgrove might seek out these dark elves and interview them. Here they
learn that after the war the Drow were weakened and abandoned by their spider goddess as punishment for their
failure. The drow fled deeper into the ground and there on the shores of a dark freshwater sea many fell under the
sway of unnatural tentacled fish-like things. The vassal drow of Chlor are refugees that fled these terrible hidden
masters. A subset of these refugees are secretly still devoted to the Spider Queen and beg her to return in their
prayers.
If the PCs manage to talk with a drow from the deep city they will discover this version of events that the Spider
Queen abandoned them and this was why they lost the war with the dragons. Then when their need was greatest they
encountered the ‘secretive great masters’ deep in the earth. Following the advice of the great masters drow noble
houses have grown in strength. The drow people are strong because the weak are given over to the masters. The
masters will one day direct the drow to go forth and conquer all the world ending dragon rule forever.
The real story is of course that the aboleth have seized mental control of the drow nobility and are using the drow in
their plans to one day conquer the world. Drow culture has become complete perverted there are no priestesses of
the Spider Queen instead Warlocks of the Great Old Ones lead the spiritual life of the drow and rather than spiders
and webs the symbols of tentacles and the three stacked eyes of the aboleth adorn drow architecture, clothing,
armour, and weapons.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:48 am

Aging, Death, and Beyond
As discussed Book 2 pages 44-46 eventually after a truly epic campaign great wrym PCs will die or transform themselves to
carry on beyond death. The quest to uncover the secrets of these transformations will be the finale of the campaign
since though the great wryms escape death they also leave the society of the Council of Wryms.
The death defying transformations include: becoming a hill or other piece of landscape, flying to the rumoured Great Wryms’ Graveyard beyond the Blood Sea, ascension to godhood, passing out of the mortal world and advancing to an even greater age category, or becoming a reviled dracolich.
The details of how the PCs uncover the mysteries that allow them to cheat death and the actions required to attain
these various transformations are left to the DM to determine for her own campaign. The 3.5e Draconomicon
developed all of these ideas from Book 2 page 46 adding more detail and could form a second source for inspiration.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:29 pm

So is this thread moving anywhere in the direction of actual play? If you ever launch a campaign, and can deal with someone playing either 3E or straight-from-the-corebooks 5E, I'm in, although my posting frequency may be wildly inconsistent in either direction at any one time.

Return to “Council of Wyrms”