Half Dragons

Hear the wind rush by with each powerful flap of your scaled wings. You are a dragon - majestic, invincible, supreme!
The Book-House: Find Council of Wyrms products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Half Dragons

Post by Havard » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:44 pm

Dragon Magazine # 206: Part Dragon, All Heroes (also available as a RTF document with the errata on the AD&D Download page at the WotC Website) has a lot of information about Half Dragons.

What do you find most interesting about this race? Is it something you would allow in your campaigns? Should they be different from Dragonborn, or could you use Dragonborn stats in a 4E/5E game?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Half Dragons

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:18 pm

I guess dragonborn and half-dragons could be treated as independent races. Half-dragons are the offspring of dallies with lesser races. Dragonborn possible were created to be a servant race (like in Abeir, just without the slavery part) or by some magical experiment (like possibly the dragonborn were created on Eberron).

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:29 pm

Could you use the same stats for both?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:17 pm

I don't see the necessity if you're playing 5e, as Monster Manual have the stats for half-dragons. And in 2e, I guess you can repurpose draconians for that (as 5e has repurposed dragonborn as draconians).

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:28 pm

The thing is the Half-Dragons of CoW are NOT like the half-dragons of later edition or dragonborn. CoW's take after thier mother's side, they begin as tall lean but otherwise normal humanoids and then as they gain levels transform gaining odd skin colour (not scales), snake eyes, and claws. They are not Dragon-people. Here's a 5e version that uses feats to model the transformation.

Io's Blood Half Dragons: are descended from gold, silver, and bronze dragon fathers and humanoid mothers only. They grow into tall and lean but otherwise normal children of a humanoid race and then after adolescence a slow transformation begins until, after gaining all three race feats, the PC is a tall slender humanoid with metallic skin and hair, claws for nails and snake eyes. NOT a dragon-man. Half dragons have no wings, no tails, and no scales. To mimic the transformation as level increases and power of the race as presented in the boxed set a series of racial feats are used.
All half dragons are Medium but otherwise are created as Dwarves, Elves, or Gnomes except instead of the usual ability score adjustments use those for the half-dragon subrace. As they gain levels the half dragon must complete the three feat tree before 20th level, therefore the latest the half dragon can begin her transformation is to take the first feat at 12th level.
Theoretically half dragons of this kind could be created from any Medium or Small race with a total of +3 worth of ability score adjustments. However, given the demographics of the Io's Blood Isles and the culture of the Gold, Silver and Bronze dragons that dwell there this would be very unlikely.

Bronze Half Dragon
Initially, you look like a taller leaner member of your mother’s race. The irises of your eyes are bronze as is your hair. All traits as per the non-dragon parent except always Medium Size and different ability score adjustments.
If mother was Medium: +1STR, +1DEX, +1WIS.
If the mother was Small: +1 DEX, +1WIS.
The half Dragon must take all the following race feats before 20th level: Bronze Blood, Dragon Flesh, Dragon Spirit.

Gold Half Dragon
Initially, you look like a taller leaner member of your mother’s race. The irises of your eyes are gold as is your hair. All traits as per the non-dragon parent except always Medium Size and different ability score adjustments.
If the mother was Medium: +2STR, +1CHA
If the mother was Small: +1STR, +1CHA
The half Dragon must take all the following race feats before 20th level: Gold Blood, Dragon Flesh, Dragon Spirit.

Silver Half Dragon
Initially, you look like a taller leaner member of your mother’s race. The irises of your eyes are silver as is your hair. All as per traits the non-dragon parent except always Medium Size and different ability score adjustments.
If the mother was Medium: +1STR, +1CON, +1CHA
If the mother was Small: +1CON, +1CHA
The half Dragon must take all the following race feats before 20th level: Silver Blood, Dragon Flesh, Dragon Spirit.

Half Dragon Race Feats
Bronze Blood Requires: Bronze Half-Dragon race. Your nails lengthen and harden into talons. You gain the following traits: Amphibious, Darkvision 60 feet, Swim Speed 35, immune to lightning damage, claws doing 1d4+STR these count as light weapons for the purpose of the dual wielding rules. If your non-dragon parent race has any of these traits nothing additional is added.
Gold Blood. Requires Gold Half Dragon race. Your nails lengthen and harden into talons. You gain the following traits: Amphibious, Darkvision 60 feet, immune to fire damage, claws 1d6+STR these do NOT count as light weapons for the purpose of the dual wielding rules.
Silver Blood. Requires Silver half dragon race. Your nails lengthen and harden into talons. You gain the following traits: Immune to Cold damage, Darkvision 60 feet, claws 1d6+STR these do NOT count as light weapons for the purpose of the dual wielding rules. If your non-dragon parent race has any of these traits nothing additional is added.
Dragon Flesh. Requires Bronze Blood, Gold Blood, or Silver Blood. Your features become fine and angular and your ears grow very long points. Your eyes become like those of a snake. You gain the following trait: Frightful presence (MM104) once per long rest. The Save DC is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier.
Dragon Spirit. Requires Dragon Flesh. Your skin turns metallic in colour, your limbs, fingers and features lengthen further. A hint of small horns sprout on your head. You gain the following trait: Lightning Breath Weapon as per Bronze, Gold, or Silver Dragonborn to match your heritage. You now have both the Humanoid and Dragon Types.

I would allow Dragonborn-Half Dragons as well since these are a rare but non-evil humanoid race in my version of the setting. Dragon born have a great deal of dragon in their blood already and with the addition of that of the dragon father they are even more draconic. A half-dragon is a taller leaner version of a normal dragonborn with longer claws and the coloration of the dragon parent. Unlike like other half dragons they have small non-functioning wings. On gaining the ‘Blood’ feat these act like Featherfall self only at will. On gaining the ‘Flesh’ feat they also gain a Fly Speed of 30 feet. They always have the breath and resistance of the dragon parent from the Dragon born race traits, it is genetically dominant over the non-dragon parent’s heritage. Rather than redundantly gaining the breath weapon from the ‘Spirit’ feat their Fly speed increases to 70 feet.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Post by Birchbeer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:18 pm

I always loved the race of half-dragons. Here's some files I saved over the years off of the internet concerning them:
Half Dragons Handbook
Black Falcon Aerie ~ AD&D Crossbreeds Dragons

For the second link I have the webpage saved as well (it looks/reads better than the text file). If anyone wants to host it I have it here

It's a shame the sites I had these saved from disappeared, as I'd love to see if the Authors made newer versions of them.

Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Post by Birchbeer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:22 pm

Coronoides wrote: Half Dragon Race Feats
Bronze Blood Requires: Bronze Half-Dragon race. Your nails lengthen and harden into talons. You gain the following traits: Amphibious, Darkvision 60 feet, Swim Speed 35, immune to lightning damage, claws doing 1d4+STR these count as light weapons for the purpose of the dual wielding rules. If your non-dragon parent race has any of these traits nothing additional is added.
Gold Blood. Requires Gold Half Dragon race. Your nails lengthen and harden into talons. You gain the following traits: Amphibious, Darkvision 60 feet, immune to fire damage, claws 1d6+STR these do NOT count as light weapons for the purpose of the dual wielding rules.
Silver Blood. Requires Silver half dragon race. Your nails lengthen and harden into talons. You gain the following traits: Immune to Cold damage, Darkvision 60 feet, claws 1d6+STR these do NOT count as light weapons for the purpose of the dual wielding rules. If your non-dragon parent race has any of these traits nothing additional is added.
Immunity feels too strong for a feat that could be taken at 4th level. I'm thinking resistance would be better. Maybe on the the third feat (Dragon Spirit) upgrade the Resistance to Immunity and grant them the Breath Weapon.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:09 pm

My big problem with the 3E Half-Dragon is that they have a breath weapon usable once per day. This just feels too ridiculous to me. A far weaker breath weapon which is usable at-will, or maybe once every 1d8 rounds or something; that'd be more reasonable. Perhaps gestalt them with the Dragonfire Adept class to some limited extent? Regardless, the Dragon-Descended chapter of Races of the Dragon does a fair job of discussing the lot of dragon-blooded humanoids, though it relies a bit too much on cliche.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:44 am

Does 3e have at will cantrips? If so adding the ability to breathe out firebolts or whatever probably wont break anything and will give you cool themed attack. No much 'teeth' though.
Alternatively, look at the DPR over say day's worth of rounds then find other powers with equivalent DPR but more uses. Reduce damage to that number of dice and increase uses to match. Will give you a starting point at least.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:16 am

Birchbeer wrote:
Coronoides wrote: Half Dragon Race Feats
Bronze Blood Requires: Bronze Half-Dragon race. Your nails lengthen and harden into talons. You gain the following traits: Amphibious, Darkvision 60 feet, Swim Speed 35, immune to lightning damage, ...
Immunity feels too strong for a feat that could be taken at 4th level. I'm thinking resistance would be better. Maybe on the the third feat (Dragon Spirit) upgrade the Resistance to Immunity and grant them the Breath Weapon.
Yeh I think your right. The Yuan-ti PC race in Volo's has immunity to poison damage at first level but these half dragons have enough other stuff going on.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:27 pm

Coronoides wrote:Does 3e have at will cantrips? If so adding the ability to breathe out firebolts or whatever probably wont break anything and will give you cool themed attack. No much 'teeth' though.
No. Pathfinder has at will cantrips, but 3e doesn't.

I'd say that a once per day ability is in line with the sort of power level found in the Granted Powers that come with the Cleric Domains.

It wouldn't hurt to add a feat to use the breath weapon another time.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Council of Wyrms”