Council of Wyrms + High Level Campaigns = ?

Hear the wind rush by with each powerful flap of your scaled wings. You are a dragon - majestic, invincible, supreme!
The Book-House: Find Council of Wyrms products.

Council of Wyrms + High Level Campaigns = ?

Postby Big Mac » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:32 pm

How well does the book Dungeon Master Option: High Level Campaigns work with Council of Wyrms?

One thing I've always thought might be a bit problematic about Council of Wyrms is that dragons are pretty powerful. But does Dungeon Master Option: High Level Campaigns give tips that allows a GM to build non-dragon NPCs that are powerful enough to be used in encounters with dragons without being instantly roasted?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Council of Wyrms + High Level Campaigns = ?

Postby Tim Baker » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:31 pm

That's a great question. Now I'm curious as well.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:18 am

Hmm...my interest is stoked.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Coronoides » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:53 am

Using the original AD&D 2e rules you could try comparing the xp totals of PCs. PCs of similar xp should be about the same power even if of wildly different class levels.

From a review I'm writing...
"...Each level of the dragon class was more potent than one in other classes and overall PC dragons, and to a lesser extent half dragons, were overpowered compared to other character types. This prevented the use of dragon PCs in other campaign settings and created a substantial barrier to having PCs from the world beyond the Io’s Blood Isles visit the setting. There was no clear way to compare dragons and other races to determine when they would be equivalent. In all a curious design decision given that the re-release as a hardback volume was promoted as ‘campaign option’ intended to be dropped into any campaign world (Dragon Magazine issue 315). ... Prior to the 3e era classes were not equivalent at the same level. Classes had different xp requirements to advance. Some advanced slowly but had greater power per level, others gained levels quickly but were not as potent at high level. What made the dragon race-class unique was the degree "
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms including dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkanqpayp4v3t ... 8.pdf?dl=0
Coronoides
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:04 pm

Coronoides wrote:Using the original AD&D 2e rules you could try comparing the xp totals of PCs. PCs of similar xp should be about the same power even if of wildly different class levels.

From a review I'm writing...
"...Each level of the dragon class was more potent than one in other classes and overall PC dragons, and to a lesser extent half dragons, were overpowered compared to other character types. This prevented the use of dragon PCs in other campaign settings and created a substantial barrier to having PCs from the world beyond the Io’s Blood Isles visit the setting. There was no clear way to compare dragons and other races to determine when they would be equivalent. In all a curious design decision given that the re-release as a hardback volume was promoted as ‘campaign option’ intended to be dropped into any campaign world (Dragon Magazine issue 315). ... Prior to the 3e era classes were not equivalent at the same level. Classes had different xp requirements to advance. Some advanced slowly but had greater power per level, others gained levels quickly but were not as potent at high level. What made the dragon race-class unique was the degree "

I wonder if you could do one-on-one combats between test characters that were either dragon PCs or High Level Campaign PCs to see which characters were more likely to kill/defeat the others. :?

If you could work out that you need 23rd level standard PCs to defeat standard Council of Wyrms dragon PCs, that might help GMs and players work out what level of PCs to put into a game that features dragon PCs.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Council of Wyrms