Dragon traits, bonds, ideals and flaws

Hear the wind rush by with each powerful flap of your scaled wings. You are a dragon - majestic, invincible, supreme!
The Book-House: Find Council of Wyrms products.

Dragon traits, bonds, ideals and flaws

Postby Coronoides » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:18 pm

Characteristics
Council of Wryms can be about tough moral decisions and compromises. Therefore I suggest all PC have two ideals, one for each component of their alignment. Other than this personality traits, ideals, flaws, and bonds for non-dragons are unaltered in a Council of Wryms campaign. For dragons rather than suggested characteristics by background I have created ones that reflect the themes of the boxed set and the various dragon breeds. Players are encouraged to select from different lists to create rounded characters who must make tough decisions. The characteristics in italics are those specific to Council of Wryms. Some of these bonds and flaws are not appropriate to newly hatched dragons or ones without particular achievements or experiences. Use judgment.
Dragonsleep not only transforms the dragon’s body it also is a time of mental reflection and change. I strongly recommend reviewing and changing some of a character’s characteristics when a new age stage is gained.

Even if not using a 5e conversion these mat be of use as an aid to roleplaying.
There are rather a lot of these I'll be making several posts as time allows

Dragons dominate
Personality Traits
1: I idolise the founder of my Clan and constantly refer to that dragon’s achievements.
2: I keep a holy symbol of Io and quote his teachings often. Io is greater than any other god.
3: I am angered at the slightest sign of disrespect
4: When among lesser creatures I expect to be the centre of attention and get bitter if I am not.
5: My diet is essentially carnivorous as befits my place in the natural order.
6: I am patronising to lesser creatures, I am so superior the least I can do is rule over them.
Ideals
1 Good: With superiority comes a burden, rule to promote the well-being of all creatures.
2 Good: In times of danger the powerful should protect those weaker than themselves.
3 Neutral: I remain aloof from the lives of lesser creatures.
4 Evil: Lesser creatures are nothing, use them, eat them, kill them for sport, who cares.
5 Lawful: The Council is the will of Io, without it our dominance will end in bloodshed.
6: Chaotic: Power is my birthright, it is natural that I should do as a please.
Bonds
1: My kindred is my most loyal servant, I reward that loyalty with my protection
2: I care about my vassals and their welfare is at the heart of all my decisions.
3: I will always help a member of my clan.
4: I am loyal to the Dragon Lord of my clan unto death.
5: The Council represents all of dragon-kind and is the foundation of dragon civilisation, it must be re-spected and protected.
6: I always act to promote the dominance of Dragons and to benefit all of dragon-kind. I would see us be-come rulers of the world as Great Io intended.
Flaws
1: I am proud of my ignorance of the inconsequential lives and cultures of vassals
2: I patronise vassals and speak to them like children
3: Vassals require a firm claw, if intimidation does not work use physical force
4: I focus my attention on dragon enemies first, anyone else can’t be much of a threat.
5: I only respect the opinions and ideas of dragons, no-one else could possibly say anything of consequence
6: I enjoy pointing out the inherent weakness of vassals and laugh at the follies of their so-called cultures.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms including dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkanqpayp4v3t ... 8.pdf?dl=0
Coronoides
Ogre

Re: Dragon traits, bonds, ideals and flaws

Postby Coronoides » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:19 pm

Dragon minds
Personality Traits
1: I take a long pause for thought before saying anything.
2: I am composing an epic poem. It will take decades to compose and, when finished, days to recite.
3: Among lesser races I am slow to anger, their petty disputes do little to raise the blood.
4: I am fond of a particular kind of gemstone as both treasure and a snack.
5: I love the sound of my own voice. I have an opinion on everything and share these opinions freely.
6: I record lore, history, and customs for posterity
Ideals
1: Good: As I grow in might I will extend my protection to more people, in a thousand years all people of the Io’s Blood will dwell in peace and comfort.
2: Good: To do the most good one must put settlements ahead of individuals and generations before lives.
3: Neutral: Most problems can be resolved by patiently waiting a few decades.
4: Evil: Dragons, vassals, and wild humanoids all are nothing but obstacles to be swept aside as I grow in might.
5: Lawful: I have plans for my Clan and the Council that will take centuries to achieve.
6: Chaotic: I chafe under the restrictions of the Clan and Council. I will establish a new Clan with few rules far away from the Council’s reach.
Flaws
1: I tend not to act until circumstances demand that I do.
2: I avoid the company of other dragons when I can.
3: I am overly fond of eating my kills, most humanoids find my dietary habits disturbing
4: My lust for gold burns so fiercely and tempts me so!
5: I instinctively seek out solitude when I rest preferring a cavern, glade, or nook to myself.
6: I am proud, selfish, and greedy, I hate to lose - no matter what the contest.
Bonds
1: I will defend my lair and territory with my life.
2: I will not be robbed, thieves will pay with their lives.
3: I dream of one day being the lord of my clan.
4: I am the owner of the vassals that serve me, I will defend my property.
5: My own survival above all else, over the span of centuries most problems fade to insignificance.
6: I am fanatically devoted to a personal quest.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms including dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkanqpayp4v3t ... 8.pdf?dl=0
Coronoides
Ogre

Postby Zeromaru X » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:44 pm

Good work! Thanks for sharing.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Coronoides » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:57 am

Threats
Personality Traits
1: I keep my vassals on a war footing. My troops are trained to peak readiness.
2: I prefer to communicate with other dragons through my kindred and vassal heralds.
3: Wary of invaders I have numerous ambushes prepared within my territory.
4: In battle I make cunning use of speed and ranged attacks avoiding closing with a foe.
5: I prefer to attack with my potent breath weapon first.
6: I wear a necklace made from the skulls and teeth of my enemies.
Ideals
1 Good: Alliances of the Metallic Clans are the key to checking the megalomania and cruelty of the chromatic dragons.
2 Good: The strong defend the weak, to the death if needed.
3 Neutral: I defend what is mine, there is no other reason to enter a battle.
4 Evil:Vassals are expendable it is better to send them to their deaths to weaken a foe than to risk injuring myself.
5 Lawful: Between dragons the Challenge of Wing and Claw exists to end disputes when negotiation fails.
6 Chaotic: Honour is for fools. I distract opponents with lies, ambushes, and trickery before striking with surprise.
Flaws
1: I attack white dragons found in my territory on sight. Council be damned! They are just sadistic animals who don’t deserve to be considered dragons.
2: I approach combat with a swashbuckling overconfidence that puts my life at risk if faced with a engine threat.
3: I attack (drow/dwarves/fire giants/blue dragons) found in my territory on sight.
4: Though I deny it I am terrified of red dragons who are larger than myself.
5: I will never trust a red dragon, they seek only dominance over everyone and everything
6: I see trespassers, spies, and thieves everywhere.
Bonds
1: I strive to rid the seas of evil creatures. I hunt out and destroy these foes when I can.
2: I actively defend my borders and assume anyone approaching is a foe until they prove otherwise.
3: I protect my lair with numerous traps and alarms.
4: Frost giants frequently raid my territory. I seek a means to end the raids once and for all.
5: A sapphire dragon controls the caves below my territory and we are staunch allies.
6: Frost giants have enslaved young members of my clan. One day I will free them.

Coronoides
Ogre

Postby Coronoides » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:01 pm

Slow rise to power
Personality Traits
1: I can recite the inventory of my possessions down to the smallest copper coin and infant vassal.
2: Knowledge is power. I go to lengths or obtain and preserve it.
3: I like to use grandiose titles recounting my deeds and virtues.
4: I idolise the leader of my clan and constantly refer to that dragon’s deeds as an example to aspire too.
5: My optimism is unwavering. Given time all obstacles will fade to nothing or be overcome
6: Wealth is power. Anything of value that I can take I do.
Ideals
1: Good: Those under my protection enjoy prosperity and justice. In a world of cruelty it is my duty to bring more vassals under the wing of my protection.
2: Good: Alliances are worth more than gold. I am building a network of trusted allies.
3 Neutral: The prosperity of my vassals is my wealth. Their security is my military might. Dragon rule is in fact a symbiosis. I aid my vassals when and if they serve.
4 Evil: I am obsessed with expanding my territory at any cost with or without the blessing of those who live on land I annex.
5 Lawful: A hierarchy of power. I obey my elders. We all obey our Dragon Lord. Among my vassals my word is the law. I will climb this ladder.
6 Chaotic: Strength is freedom. My physical size and prowess grow with every year and every year there are fewer people who can tell me what to do.
Flaws
1: I am suspicious of other dragons assuming they covet my hoard and territory.
2: It’s not cowardice, I must simply avoid dangers to survive for the centuries needed to take my plans to fruition.
3: Unlike most dragons I am impulsive and vicious thinking only of the here and now. I leave the running of my Domain and planning for the future to my vassals.
4: It’s not over confidence. I believe I have a destiny and this belief makes me fearless, some say even foolhardy.
5: I can’t resist plotting and scheming behind the backs of my superiors.
6: I’ll do anything to ensure my fame spreads and that I have an important place in recorded history.
Bonds
1: As a precaution the location of my primary lair is a secret.
2: Vassals are slaves, any betrayal or act of treachery by my property is punished by a painful death (evil).
3: My territory, everything and everyone in it are my personal property. Nothing leaves my lands without my permission. Thus my wealth and power can only grow.
4: Vassal cities are centres of wealth and military power. Therefore I will found a village and nurture it’s growth into a great city.
5: I value peers and younger dragon allies within my clan. One day I will found a new dragon clan and take them with me.
6: I have a vision for my clan, I will rise through the ranks and one day rule

Preventing war
These characteristics reflect the theme of preventing war or are seeds that will sprout the failure of that lofty goal.
Personality Traits
1: I prefer to solve disputes through dispassionate discussion and reason.
2: I can find common ground between enemies and through empathy work to forge a peace.
3: In combat I like to taunt and annoy my foes and laugh at their anger.
4: I prefer the night for attacks, fewer witnesses and therefore less chance of reprisal.
5: I see omens everywhere, Io tries to guide us to our rightful place we just need to listen.
6: I idolise (Exaudon or Blooodtide or Starratiel (CWB7)) and constantly refer to that dragons deeds and achievements.
Ideals
1: Good: Whatever the atrocities of chromatic dragons the suffering caused by dragon war would be worse. I strive to prevent war by all the means available to me
2: Good: The Council maintains the peace but we must work to make it into a force for the common good as well.
3: Neutral: If dragons remained apart from conflicts between their peers then battles would not grow into wars.
4: Evil: The Council is a ladder, I will climb it, seize control and send armies of dragons against those who oppose me.
5: Lawful: I am reluctant to give my word but when I do I keep it.
6 : Chaotic: The Clans and Council are too restrictive, dragons should be free to settle grievances as they wish.
Flaws
1: If it comes to violence then I am fierce and unrelenting. No surrender, no mercy.
2: I avoid violence even when perhaps it is necessary. If I have to fight I try to subdue or repel rather than kill.
3: I am fascinated by war and too eager champion a cause or lead soldiers and dragons into battle.
4: I am abusive and quick to anger causing many unnecessary battles.
5: I fight honourably without ambushes or retreat.
6:. I hate the injustice and slavery the vassals of chromatic dragons live under and would risk dragon war to end it.
Bonds
1: A powerful dragon has wronged me, I shall plan my revenge for centuries then strike when I have grown to my full power.
2: My clan is in conflict with a neighbouring clan. I must defend the clan without coming to the notice of the Council.
3: The Laws of Io and the edicts of the Council must be obeyed, ignore its edicts and dragon-war will end our rightful dominance. I will defend the Council and enforce its edicts.
4: I am determined to recover a great treasure that was stolen from my Clan during the ancient dragon wars.
5: I will protect my vassals no matter what the consequences.
6: My parents were murdered by another dragon. I will have my revenge regardless of the consequences.

Characteristics by breed
You might also have personality traits, flaws, and bonds typical to your breed. These are something of a blend of how the breeds are portrayed in the boxed set and in the 5e MM. I have provided four of each. For random determination use a d4.
Brass
Personality Traits
1: I love to trade news and gossip.
2: I like to rise early and taste the morning dew.
3: I enjoy good conversation and respect those who have mastered this art.
4: I enjoy hot dry weather and basking in the sun.
Flaws
1: I become insulted if someone passes by without stopping to chat for a while. If I am lonely I might even capture restrain someone until my thirst for small talk is slaked.
2: I am a terrible gossip. No secret is safe with me.
3: I talk so much people suspect I can breath through my ears
4: I am happy to share what I know provided I am given a suitable ‘gift’.
Bonds
1: A magic lamp was once part of my hoard. I freed the djinni within and now she owes me one favour.
2: I am well known to the desert tribes of my homeland. They come to me for advice and bring information to pay for it.
3: Blue dragons are my enemies, I cannot even be civil to them.
4: My hoard is spread across several hidden caches in the desert. Woe to anyone who takes this ‘lost’ treasure.

Bronze
Personality Traits
1: I’m am cheerful and good natured.
2: I love riddles and non-violent contests
3: I love to swim and rarely pass up a chance to get my scales wet.
4: I like to observe travellers and ships from hiding, in the form of a small harmless animal if I can. Sometimes they have treasure I can barter for.
Flaws
1: I am overly fond of shark meat and might be distracted by the urge to hunt.
2: I am easily swayed by a valuable present.
3: I am overly zealous in my opposition to tyranny, usually by chromatic dragons. In the culture of the Io’s Blood I’m in danger of being declared rogue and hunted down.
4: I am openly fascinated by all things military and talk of little else. In the culture of the Io’s Blood my behaviour is terribly gauche.
Bonds
1: I prize riddlemasters and am a patron and defender of their work.
2: I have a close friends in a humanoid army and can rely on the veterans I have fought beside.
3: I love the sea and the good creatures that dwell within it.
4: I have a half-dragon progeny whom I secretly aid.

Copper
Personality Traits
1: Unlike other dragons I like to hunt for sport and as part of a pack.
2: My favourite food is fresh giant scorpion. Nothing else anyone serves me is as good.
3: I love a good puzzle or maze.
4: I love gaudy worthless treasures, displaying them openly and hiding anything of real worth.
Flaws
1: I tell jokes and riddles at inappropriate times
2: I dislike those who do not laugh at my jokes and pranks.
3: I am miserly. I never give away as much as a copper piece. I suspect everyone of coveting my wealth as much as I covet theirs.
4: I cannot resist taunting my enemies even if prudence or stealth would be advisable.
Bonds
1: I am a patron of bards and entertainers of all kinds.
2: My clan is more social than most dragons, hunting together creates a sense of community.
3: I care for the tiny rodents and birds that dwell near my lair. They tell me much of what happens within a mile of my lair (MM112). Woe to anyone who is cruel to them or hunts them unnecessarily.
4: A red dragon who dwells near my territory is my sworn enemy.

Gold
Personality Traits
1: I like pearls…to eat.
2: I enjoy conversing with creatures who wander close to my lair in their dreams
3: I deliberately contrive to create an aire of mystery about myself.
4: I enjoy scenery of great natural beauty.
Flaws
1: I have become fixated on ending slavery and tyranny within a specific chromatic dragon domain. This obsession may yet cause the Council to declare me rogue and call for me to be hunted down.
2: Cannot stand injustice or cruelty, if I see it with my own eyes I have to act no matter what the consequences.
3: I value privacy and rarely fraternise with other dragons or seek their help even when perhaps I need it.
4: I obsess about the safety of my hoard. There will never be a vault deep enough nor enough magical wards and traps.
Bonds
1: I have sired or adopted a half-dragon whom I help in secret; even the half dragon is unaware of my identity.
2: Disguised as a small animal I have befriended a humanoid child, I will secretly watch over them all their life.
3: Though generally aloof I maintain good relations with my offspring and past mates.
4: I secretly maintain an alternate humanoid identity who is well regarded in the local community for his good deeds.

Silver
Personality Traits
1: I prefer the clod dry weather of my mountain home and complain when the weather is out of my control.
2: I prefer the company of humanoids and like to live among them.
3: I am sociable and enjoy wasting time in the company of other silver dragons
4: I like to collect cultural and archeological treasures from humanoid cultures. My hoard is a private museum.
Flaws
1: I cannot trust red dragons.
2: I believe important cultural and magical objects are better off in my care rather than the care of humanoids and will try to gain possession any way I can.
3: I’d rather carouse than work or plan.
4: When I see good people being oppressed or hurt with my own eyes I have to help them no matter what the consequences.
Bonds
1: I cheerfully offer assistance to any goodly creature in need.
2: I have taken a humanoid as a mate.
3: I have a developed a deep friendship with a humanoid family over several of their generations.
4: I have a half dragon progeny I openly accept despite the scandal.

Ok that’s all of them.

Coronoides
Ogre

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Impressive amount of work you have put into this so far, it's really good! Thanks for sharing! :) :cool:
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Return to Council of Wyrms