Technology of the Io’s Blood Isles

Hear the wind rush by with each powerful flap of your scaled wings. You are a dragon - majestic, invincible, supreme!
The Book-House: Find Council of Wyrms products.
Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:42 am

Here I present some equipment used by natives of the Io’s Blood Isles for 5e and then I reflect on the likely level of technological progress of the Isles.
Io’s Blood Equipment
Giant Spiders: In the temperate hills goblins have tamed giant spiders as mounts (C9), 800gp
Bronze weapons: made by wemics of the Io’s Blood and some other wild humanoids. Bronze weapons in this setting do the same damage as iron ones. They do not rust and cost twice as much as iron weapons.
Brown Mold pot: used by Quagoths in the caverns below arctic regions. Generally not available elsewhere.
Wyvern mount: Hill ogres and tropical trolls have wyvern mounts 4800gp
Weak spider poison for weapons 150gp/dose. As used by hill goblins. If you sustain an injury from a coated weapon make a DC11 Constitution save or poisoned condition for one hour. An application only works for the first successful attack by the coated weapon.
Gargantuan Tail mace* (simple weapon): 40gp 48 lbs (for Gargantuan scale), +3 piercing damage
Gargantuan Wing spur* (martial weapon): 10gp each 8lbs each (for Gargantuan scale), +3 slashing damage against one opponent per wing spur (maximum two).
Huge Tail mace* (simple weapon): 20gp 12 lbs (for Huge scale), +3 piercing damage
Huge Wing spur* (martial weapon): 10gp each 8lbs each (for Huge scale), +2 slashing damage against one opponent per wing spur (maximum two).
Large Tail mace* (simple weapon): 20gp 3 lbs (for Large scale), +2 piercing damage
Large Wing spur* (martial weapon): 10gp each 2lbs each (for Large scale), +1 slashing damage against one opponent per wing spur (maximum two).
Tail mace* (simple weapon): 20gp 1 lbs (for Medium scale), +1 piercing damage
Wing spur* (martial weapon): 10gp each 0.5 lbs each (for Medium scale), +1 slashing damage against one opponent per wing spur (maximum two).
*Magical versions of these weapons add either the mundane bonus above to damage or the magical bonus whichever is higher.

Book one clearly states “The time is the distant past, the world an unnamed sphere much like Toril or Oerth yet subtly different.” (CWA7). Additionally, in the illustration on Card 5 the fashions of the vassal races have a distinctly Bronze-to-early-Iron Age appearance. Card 9 tells us the native wemics use bronze and the hobgoblins iron. Therefore I take inspiration from the Bronze and early Iron Ages of the real world when elaborating my version of the setting.

What follows is mostly my own interpretation...
There is evidence that the Io’s Blood cultures and the neighbouring giants have achieved only Iron Age technology, some are even only at Bronze or Stone Age levels of development. Despite this some of the recommended weapons and armour for Dragon Riders and some other vassal kits are somewhat anachronistic. Furthermore the foreign dragon slayers have ‘great ships’, full suits of plate armour, greatswords and other advanced equipment. To reflect this no personal weapons are restricted in this campaign but some advanced armour and other equipment not available in the early Iron Age is not available.
The separation of those who rule and plan, the dragons, from those do the work, vassals and slaves, tends to stifle improvements in how the work is completed. General technological progress is stifled. The availability of anachronistic personal weapons is explained by the archipelago’s history of conflict. The decades of dragon war and the need for vassals to fight alongside and against huge dragons drove advancement of personal weapons.
Meanwhile, across the sea the new god of the Dragon Slayers helped these humans develop advanced Ships, weapons, and armour. When the dragon slayers embarked on their crusade they brought these with them. In the invasion and its aftermath the ships were burned, but many new weapons such as greatswords were transferred to the cultures of the Io’s Blood.
To help help DMs decide if an unlisted item is available I suggest the following rough technological equivalent eras from real history. Note that these are not true cultural equivalents but represent the kinds of technology manufactured only.
Io’s Blood Dragons and Vassals: 800BCE Europe various cultures.
Frost Giants: 840CE Vikings.
Fire Giants: Phoenicia 900BCE
Yuan-ti: Egypt 1200BCE Bronze and imported/stolen iron.
Drow: Qin China 215 BCE
Duergar: Greeks 700BCE
Aboleth: Aztec 1400CE. Very advanced but aquatic cave environment has stifled metal use.
Most ‘wild’ humanoids 1000BCE Europe various cultures
Wemics: 2000BCE ‘Steppe Culture’. Bronze Age nomads of the central Eurasian Steppes. Trade for iron.
Players are reminded that personal weapons are somewhat anachronistic. PCs are assumed to have sufficiently interesting backstories that they can begin with any permitted equipment regardless of home culture. PCs from the Io’s Blood need only comply with the restricted equipment list below.
Restricted Equipment
A small number of items not consistent with the proposed Iron Age level of technology and therefore not permitted to be among the starting equipment of natives of the Isles . The items are listed in the order they are presented in the PHB.
Half plate armour
Plate armour (the foreign dragon-slayers had plate armour but the natives of the Io’s Blood Isles do not have the metallurgy to recreate these suits).
Hand crossbow
Light Crossbow (independent drow not living under dragon rule do have these).
Vials and bottles are all pottery, glassblowing has not been invented in these lands.
Bullseye Lantern
Magnifying glass
Spyglass
Glassblowers’ tools.
Trinkets numbers: 17, 21, 33, 39, 44, 46, 48, 60, 67, 93, 97, and 98.
Additionally the native ships are fine for coastal waters and island hopping but are not sea-worthy enough to cross the ocean to the rest of the world. The foreign Dragon-slayers arrived in ocean going ships but these burned in dragon-fire long ago.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Technology of the Io’s Blood Isles

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:03 pm

Very interesting. As usual, most of your 5e stuff would probably work for fans of other editions of D&D.
Coronoides wrote:Technology of the Io’s Blood Isles
Book one clearly states “The time is the distant past, the world an unnamed sphere much like Toril or Oerth yet subtly different.” (CWA7). Additionally, in the illustration on Card 5 the fashions of the vassal races have a distinctly Bronze-to-early-Iron Age appearance. Card 9 tells us the native wemics use bronze and the hobgoblins iron. Therefore I take inspiration from the Bronze and early Iron Ages of the real world when elaborating my version of the setting.
That's a brilliant bit of extrapolation there. :)

I guess that this paragraph could also be interpreted as also representing the size of the globe and the amount of surface water.
Coronoides wrote:What follows is mostly my own interpretation...
There is evidence that the Io’s Blood cultures and the neighbouring giants have achieved only Iron Age technology, some are even only at Bronze or Stone Age levels of development. Despite this some of the recommended weapons and armour for Dragon Riders and some other vassal kits are somewhat anachronistic. Furthermore the foreign dragon slayers have ‘great ships’, full suits of plate armour, greatswords and other advanced equipment. To reflect this no personal weapons are restricted in this campaign but some advanced armour and other equipment not available in the early Iron Age is not available.
The separation of those who rule and plan, the dragons, from those do the work, vassals and slaves, tends to stifle improvements in how the work is completed. General technological progress is stifled. The availability of anachronistic personal weapons is explained by the archipelago’s history of conflict. The decades of dragon war and the need for vassals to fight alongside and against huge dragons drove advancement of personal weapons.
Meanwhile, across the sea the new god of the Dragon Slayers helped these humans develop advanced Ships, weapons, and armour. When the dragon slayers embarked on their crusade they brought these with them. In the invasion and its aftermath the ships were burned, but many new weapons such as greatswords were transferred to the cultures of the Io’s Blood.
To help help DMs decide if an unlisted item is available I suggest the following rough technological equivalent eras from real history. Note that these are not true cultural equivalents but represent the kinds of technology manufactured only.
Io’s Blood Dragons and Vassals: 800BCE Europe various cultures.
Frost Giants: 840CE Vikings.
Fire Giants: Phoenicia 900BCE
Yuan-ti: Egypt 1200BCE Bronze and imported/stolen iron.
Drow: Qin China 215 BCE
Duergar: Greeks 700BCE
Aboleth: Aztec 1400CE. Very advanced but aquatic cave environment has stifled metal use.
Most ‘wild’ humanoids 1000BCE Europe various cultures
Wemics: 2000BCE ‘Steppe Culture’. Bronze Age nomads of the central Eurasian Steppes. Trade for iron.
Players are reminded that personal weapons are somewhat anachronistic. PCs are assumed to have sufficiently interesting backstories that they can begin with any permitted equipment regardless of home culture. PCs from the Io’s Blood need only comply with the restricted equipment list below.
Is CE the same as AD?

I like the way that you have introduced a "technology gap" of 3400 years between the aboleths and the wemics.

Some of the technology in various parts of the world is held back or influenced by availability of materials. (I know that Japan has poor metal and introduced metal folding techniques to compensate, for example.) Would you advocate looking up the geology of the places like China and the Aztec area to help decide on what building materials were in use by the CoW regions you tied them to?
Coronoides wrote:Restricted Equipment
A small number of items not consistent with the proposed Iron Age level of technology and therefore not permitted to be among the starting equipment of natives of the Isles . The items are listed in the order they are presented in the PHB.
<snip>
Trinkets numbers: 17, 21, 33, 39, 44, 46, 48, 60, 67, 93, 97, and 98..
What are these twelve trinkets? Are they things that existed in earlier editions of D&D?
Coronoides wrote:Additionally the native ships are fine for coastal waters and island hopping but are not sea-worthy enough to cross the ocean to the rest of the world. The foreign Dragon-slayers arrived in ocean going ships but these burned in dragon-fire long ago.
Have you got any ideas on the sort of ship hulls that would be used?

You compared the Frost Giants to Vikiings (in terms of technology). Would you suggest that they had sails like longships (that require wind behind the ship) and oars?

Would you give the other nations ships similar to the real-world regions (and time periods) that you suggested?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:39 am

Big Mac wrote:Very interesting. As usual, most of your 5e stuff would probably work for fans of other editions of D&D.
Yeh that’s kind of the the plan. A review of the material making obvious a lot of the little details of the setting is useful to anyone thinking about using the setting in any edition.
Big Mac wrote:
Coronoides wrote:Technology of the Io’s Blood Isles
That's a brilliant bit of extrapolation there. :)
[/quote]

Yes, I’m quite proud of that one ;)
Big Mac wrote:Is CE the same as AD?

I like the way that you have introduced a "technology gap" of 3400 years between the aboleths and the wemics.
Yes, in academic circles AD is out of favour and CE (common era) has taken its place. BCE is before common era. The gap is a reflection of how in the real world technological development was very uneven.
Big Mac wrote:Some of the technology in various parts of the world is held back or influenced by availability of materials. (I know that Japan has poor metal and introduced metal folding techniques to compensate, for example.) Would you advocate looking up the geology of the places like China and the Aztec area to help decide on what building materials were in use by the CoW regions you tied them to?
Maybe not ‘advocate’ but certainly some referee’s could adopt that approach for their version of the Isles.
Big Mac wrote:What are these twelve trinkets? Are they things that existed in earlier editions of D&D?
Trinkets are small interesting story-hook items PCs start with in 5e. The curios numbered above require either advanced clockwork, glassblowing, or both. Two key technologies not available. An example is a glass globe with a clockwork goldfish inside.
Coronoides wrote:Additionally the native ships are fine for coastal waters and island hopping but are not sea-worthy enough to cross the ocean to the rest of the world. The foreign Dragon-slayers arrived in ocean going ships but these burned in dragon-fire long ago.
Big Mac wrote:Have you got any ideas on the sort of ship hulls that would be used?

You compared the Frost Giants to Vikiings (in terms of technology). Would you suggest that they had sails like longships (that require wind behind the ship) and oars?

Would you give the other nations ships similar to the real-world regions (and time periods) that you suggested?
It is canon that the Frost Giants use Viking-style longships (very big ones!) as these feature in an adventure in book 3 of the boxed set. Vassal ships are smaller than those of the Frost Giants and that the Dragon Slayers of old had ocean going vessels. Anything else is a guess. OK, so when setting the real-world equivalents I looked to iconic technologies of the cultures. For the Frost giants this was longships, for drow crossbows. We know fire giants have ships but we don’t get information on these vessels. They could be longships like those of their frosty cousins but I thought it would be more interesting to have different ships for fire giants so I thought trireme would be fun and then set the real world equivalent to give them this choice.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:00 am

Iron age fire giant.
The fire giants south of the Io’s Blood wear breastplates rather than suits of plate. This change matches 2e illustrations and descriptions of fire giants and complies with the level of technology in the Council of Wryms setting. This lowers the giants’ to AC13. This lower AC lowers Challenge to 8 (3900xp) and therefore attack rolls, saves, and skills are lowered. All this enables the PCs to face more giants in each encounter, important when giant raiders arrive by the boatload or even ship load.
Huge giant, lawful evil
Armor Class 13 (Breastplate)
Hit Points 162 (13d12 + 78)
Speed 30 ft.
STR 25 (+7), DEX 9 (-1), CON 23 (+6), INT 10 (+0), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 13 (+1)
Saving Throws Dex +3, Con +10, Cha +5
Skills Athletics +10, Perception +5
Damage Immunities fire
Senses passive Perception 15
Languages Giant
Challenge 8 (3900 XP)
Actions
Multiattack. The giant makes two greatsword attacks.
Greatsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 28 (6d6 + 7) slashing damage.
Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, range 60/240 ft., one target. Hit: 29 (4d10 + 7) bludgeoning damage.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:34 pm

How about these? I would especially like feedback on the shield which is a new rare magic item.
Dragonscale Armour
Dragonscale Armour: Although usually gifted to a dragon’s fairful servants after millennia of of such gifts old suits to fit elves, dwarves, and gnomes can be purchaced for 40 000gp (CWB41, DMG165). Suits for other races are rare enough that the rules for buying magic items must be used if they can be found at all.
Dragonsale Shield: Although usually gifted to a dragon’s fairful servants (CWB41) after millennia of of such gifts many shields to suit small and medium characters are available for 4000gp. Shields for larger or smaller races are rare enough that the rules for buying rare magic items must be used if they can be found at all. A dragonscale shield is a +1 bonus AC magic shield (+3 total). Shields from each breed of dragon are associated with a particular damage type (DMG165) if struck by an instantaneous area effect of that damage type that allows you to make a saving throw for half damage someone actively wielding the shield instead takes no damage if they succeed on the saving throw and only half damage if they fail.

Downtime activities
Craft Dragonscale Armour
Time: 25 workweeks by creatures with proper hands.
Dragonscale armour is scale mail made of dragon skins (CWB41, DMG165). Crafting dragon-scale armour is beyond the talons of even the most dexterous dragon. Dragons though order vas-sals to create this armour for favoured servants. Proficiency in the arcana skill and leather-worker’s tools is needed. Multiple people can work on the project as long as each has one of these proficiencies. Leatherworker’s each need their own set of tools.
Crafting the armour requires special tools to cut the dragon hide, special fluids to preserve its properties and ground gems or molten metal as appropriate to the breed. Thes consumables cost 18500gp regardless of the size of armour made. As shown in the table the donor dragon must be of sufficient size. Smaller armour than allowed by the donor size can be made but is limited by the values of the raw skin which is equal to the LA for age and breed x 100gp or for non-metallic breeds Challenge x 75gp.
Armour size Value of raw skin needed (gp) Size of dragon donor required
Tiny 100 Small
Small 375 Medium
Medium 1500 Large
Large 6000 Huge
Huge 24000 Gargantuan
Gargantuan 96000 4 Gargantuan dragon skins

Craft Dragonscale Shield
Time: 10 workweeks by creatures with proper hands.
Dragonscale shields are made of dragon skins (CWB41, DMG165) and are described in the equipment section of the Conversion of Book 1. Crafting dragonscale shields is beyond the tal-ons of even the most dexterous dragon. Dragons though order vassals to create these for favoured servants. Proficiency in the arcana skill and leatherworker’s tools is needed. Multiple people can work on the project as long as each has one of these proficiencies. Leatherworker’s each need their own set of tools.
Crafting the armour requires special tools to cut the dragon hide, special fluids to preserve its properties and ground gems or molten metal as appropriate to the breed. Thes consumables cost 1850gp regardless of the size of armour made. The donor dragon must be of at least the samesize as the intended shield user. Smaller shields than allowed by the donor size can be made but is limited by the values of the raw skin which is equal to the LA for age and breed x 100gp or for non-metallic breeds Challenge x 75gp.
Armour size Value of raw skin needed (gp)
Tiny 10
Small 38
Medium 150
Large 600
Huge 2400
Gargantuan 9600

Return to “Council of Wyrms”