How to name a dragon

Hear the wind rush by with each powerful flap of your scaled wings. You are a dragon - majestic, invincible, supreme!
The Book-House: Find Council of Wyrms products.
Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

How to name a dragon

Post by Zeromaru X » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:48 am

Dragons in D&D have quite complicated names. There is a list of Forgotten Realms dragons, for instance.

I have found no suggestions in the CoW book on how to name your dragon character. And while I can just steal an established dragon name, I'd like to know if there is a guide for this in any other supplement or dragon mag.

Thanks in advance :D

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: How to name a dragon

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:I have found no suggestions in the CoW book on how to name your dragon character. And while I can just steal an established dragon name, I'd like to know if there is a guide for this in any other supplement or dragon mag.
It wasn't really meant to b a "list of dragon names" but my Dragon Clans of Io's Blood Islands topic contains the name of the leaders of every clan in Io's Blood Isles. So you can see some examples of the names.

Maybe you could use those 88 names to start of a list of all the named dragons in Council of Wyrms. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Big Mac wrote:Maybe you could use those 88 names to start of a list of all the named dragons in Council of Wyrms. :)
It should be possible to pick apart the construction of the names to create a random dragon name generator.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Take you index and without looking randomly select 8 to 10 syllables in any book. Write them down and then shuffle them around until you get a cool sounding name. That is how I do it. ;) :D

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:00 pm

shesheyan wrote:Take you index and without looking randomly select 8 to 10 syllables in any book. Write them down and then shuffle them around until you get a cool sounding name. That is how I do it. ;) :D
Sounds cool!! Going to have to give that a try. :geek:

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Dragonlance Dragons have names that are connected to their color, habitat or personality.

Silvania
Beryllinthranox
Malystryx
Cyan
Skiye (Khellendros)
Onysablet

etc.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Havard wrote:Dragonlance Dragons have names that are connected to their color, habitat or personality.

<snip>
Hmm, very interesting...might try something like that with Malathéa.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:01 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Maybe you could use those 88 names to start of a list of all the named dragons in Council of Wyrms. :)
It should be possible to pick apart the construction of the names to create a random dragon name generator.
I'm not sure how easy that would be from my topic alone. That gives you between 4 and 8 examples per dragon type.

You can certainly see some patterns, like "<something> the Gold", "<something> the Brass", "<something> the Red", "<something> the Blue", "<something> the Green", "<something> the Black" and "<something> the White". You could infer the same sort of pattern for the other colours, but I didn't see that pattern for any of the gem dragons.

Another pattern I saw was "<something> the First", "<something> the Second", "<something> the Third", "<something> the Forth" and "<something> the Fifth". You could use that structure to have generations of dragons sharing the same name as their parent.

Some clan leader names seem to be the same as the clan names...or similar to the clan names. You could make more of that. (For the clans with clan-leaders who have names different to the clan names, you could possibly infer a dead dragon who had the name the clan has, as the founder of that clan.)

Many names seem to be two full words compounded together. For example, "Brightscale", "Firstclaw", "Yellowbolt" and "Clawstrike the Fifth". I think it would be possible to look at the various root words that have a connection with dragon bodies or weapons and infer the same root word being used with different combinations of words.

However, there are some names I don't understand (like "Magis Lawgiver", "Agerris", "Borgarrus the Third", "Bronzerra" and others. So I think there is some level of doing what Shesheyan suggested.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 am

Yeah, I have the same problem. I do not understand the patron of naming dragons. Its even worst when most of the draconic words in their names aren't in the lexicon they provided in Races of the Dragon. Is there a secret lexicon just for D&D authors? mmm...

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Big Mac, what I was trying to infer was breaking apart the pieces of <something> and creating generator based on all pieces of every name.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:41 am

There's a mini-dictionary of selected Draconic fragments in Draconomicon, which I used to construct names for a set of dragon NPCs I made. Let me see how many of them I can recall offhand (spelling obviously may be off, and I frequently recall only the Draconic form or its translation, not both):

Black: Lokha'grodjak'mnhr
Blue: the name has been misplaced, though I remember that it was a combined reference both to the ocean and to his immense mother.
Green: Levex-Lauth-Tuorlerith, "Those Who Dare Approach Shall Be Our Slaves"
Red: Vignar Loethvaerie, "Ashblood Deathdance"
White: this one intentionally never had a name.
Brass: Bah'room'surni'vargyr
Bronze: De'akh Svaerauj (there was probably more; this was the "nickname" form)
Copper: This name is on the tip of my freaking tongue, he's one of the best developed of the best (and is the one I'd actually play as a PC if given the chance)
Gold: This was the last one completed, and I don't recall the name.
Silver: Victory Morgan, aka a Draconic name that translates to something about "the joy of the mating flight".

Of course, I never got around to making NPCs for the six additional dragon types I made up. :ugeek:

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:08 am

Which one? :P There are like 4 Draconomicons.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:52 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:Which one? :P There are like 4 Draconomicons.
The one for 3.5 had it.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:54 pm

From my review/conversion...

“Naming Conventions
Clan names like Triumph, High-jump, and Foul-grove as well as places like Blaze Town and Top-Town have a juvenile ring to them which is not to my liking.
I am going to assume that names are English translations of Draconic names and favour the draconic during game play. You can use the syllables from Dragonborn names in the 5e PHB to make dragon words. The 3e Draconomican 2003 also has an extensive vocabulary to help here. There are also Draconic words scattered throughout the boxed set. For clan I use Iejiryth (clumsily translates to ‘we of blood’). Clan Triumph is also Vivex Iejiryth and Warclaw is Arytegix Iejiryth. “
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:36 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:Big Mac, what I was trying to infer was breaking apart the pieces of <something> and creating generator based on all pieces of every name.
Sure. I realised that was the sort of thing you were getting at and was trying to find a few examples where rules could be extrapolated from the existing names. :)

I don't think it would give you a full system, but it would be closer to Council of Wyrms canon than using systems extrapolated from non Council of Wyrms products.

If someone is able to make a full pass of the boxed set and the magazine articles and/or the hardback, they might be able to make a bigger list of dragon names.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Coronoides wrote:From my review/conversion...

“Naming Conventions
Clan names like Triumph, High-jump, and Foul-grove as well as places like Blaze Town and Top-Town have a juvenile ring to them which is not to my liking.
I am going to assume that names are English translations of Draconic names and favour the draconic during game play.
I think I've seen a few people having conversations on that level. They usually end up with someone pointing out that the Common language that most D&D campaign settings use as the human trade language is not English either.

I've seen various people turning to various living or dead languages looking for alternate speech patterns that might be borrowed to make fantasy cultures sound more distinctive.

You were talking about taking inspiration for real-world cultures for working out the Technology of Io's Blood Islands. But we could use your same cultures to extrapolate a ton of rules for naming people and places across the world. (So Viking names for frost giants and Phoenician names for fire giants and so on.)
Coronoides wrote:You can use the syllables from Dragonborn names in the 5e PHB to make dragon words. The 3e Draconomican 2003 also has an extensive vocabulary to help here. There are also Draconic words scattered throughout the boxed set. For clan I use Iejiryth (clumsily translates to ‘we of blood’). Clan Triumph is also Vivex Iejiryth and Warclaw is Arytegix Iejiryth. “
That sounds workable. I still think there is some merit in looking at the canon CoW dragon names to se extrapolate all the patterns that Angel was talking about.

If you don't like the sound of them and want to use Draconic syllables, you could have a Common translation to go with the clan names, which would help any players that can't cope with names made out of random letters.

EDIT: If you do want to use random draconic syllables, it would probably be possible to make some random tables with prefixes, suffixes and one or more extra bits to go into the middle. (The alternative to that would be for someone who was crazy enough about dragons to start working on an English to Draconic dictionary. :twisted: )

Return to “Council of Wyrms”