Any anti-dragon weapons in Council of Wyrms?

Hear the wind rush by with each powerful flap of your scaled wings. You are a dragon - majestic, invincible, supreme!
The Book-House: Find Council of Wyrms products.

Any anti-dragon weapons in Council of Wyrms?

Postby Big Mac » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:15 am

I'm wondering if Council of Wyrms has any sort of anti-dragon weapons.

The Dragonlance campaign setting is known to have anti-dragon weapons. Aside from the lance that the setting is named after, there is also something called a Dragon Orb that causes irrational behaviour in nearby dragons. But does Council of Wyrms have anything like this?

With the setting having multiple clans that, are at peace now, but could get into conflict at any time in the future.

There are also non-dragons outside of Io's Blood Islands that would love to develop anti-dragon magic.

Is there any evidence of dragons developing "doomsday devices" that can destroy other dragons?

Are there any magical items that defend against dragon breath weapons or abilities?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21920
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Any anti-dragon weapons in Council of Wyrms?

Postby Boneguard » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:53 am

No.

The only "anti-dragon weapon" in the system are the Dragonslayer, an order of human fighter trained by Io himself to slay dragons (with cool trick too). This was done to force dragons to work together to defeat them.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
User avatar
Boneguard
Frost Giant
 
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:00 pm
Location: Gatineau (Quebec) Canada

Re: Any anti-dragon weapons in Council of Wyrms?

Postby Havard » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:40 am

Dragon Orbs are not unique to Krynn though. They first appeared in OD&D(1974).

I suspect they were also used in Dave Arneson's original campaign, though reports from that time only refers to the item as "the artifact", but its effects appear to have been similar to the Dragon Orbs....

I think something like that could also exist on CoW unless the setting specifically outlaws the item?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
 
Posts: 17435
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Any anti-dragon weapons in Council of Wyrms?

Postby Big Mac » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:09 pm

Havard wrote:Dragon Orbs are not unique to Krynn though. They first appeared in OD&D(1974).


Ah right. So they were just popularised in the Chronicles novels then. :)

Havard wrote:I suspect they were also used in Dave Arneson's original campaign, though reports from that time only refers to the item as "the artifact", but its effects appear to have been similar to the Dragon Orbs....


I guess something could be functionally identical to a Dragon Orb, without needing to look the same.

Havard wrote:I think something like that could also exist on CoW unless the setting specifically outlaws the item?


I wonder if the dragons would try to outlaw items like this. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 21920
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Any anti-dragon weapons in Council of Wyrms?

Postby Coronoides » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:25 am

We know that owning a potion of dragon control carries the death penalty for non-dragons and a dragon using one is severely punished (Book 2 page 50). We can guess that other items for controlling, incapacitating, or slaying dragons specifically would carry similar punishments.
That said it does not mean these kinds of items wont be encountered.
Most obviously foreign dragonslayers or adventurers might bring them in.
One could also imagine criminal use by Vassal revolutionaries or chromatic dragons undertaking dastardly schemes to covertly gain wealth or power. A whole campaign could be played around a powerful red dragon clan preparing for a military coup to destroy the Council. For such a plan to work something would have to greatly disturb the current balance of power, a powerful dragon controlling/slaying artefact would be just the McGuffin needed.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms including dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkanqpayp4v3t ... 8.pdf?dl=0
User avatar
Coronoides
Ogre
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:18 am
Location: Melbourne Australia (mostly)

Re: Any anti-dragon weapons in Council of Wyrms?

Postby thorr-kan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:37 pm

Note that there are two kinds of dragon orbs, and they are mutually exclusive.

Dragonlance has it's dragon orbs, detailed in it's supplements. I'm AFB, and I don't remember if they were artifacts or just really powerful magic items.

The Book of Artifacts has it's dragon orbs; I assume based on the original artifacts from OD&D. It specifically says these are not Krynnish dragon orbs.
thorr-kan
Bugbear
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: Any anti-dragon weapons in Council of Wyrms?

Postby Coronoides » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:55 pm

thorr-kan wrote:Note that there are two kinds of dragon orbs, and they are mutually exclusive.

Dragonlance has it's dragon orbs, detailed in it's supplements. I'm AFB, and I don't remember if they were artifacts or just really powerful magic items.

The Book of Artifacts has it's dragon orbs; I assume based on the original artifacts from OD&D. It specifically says these are not Krynnish dragon orbs.


So a non-Kryn orb could be the McGuffin for my campaign idea above. This “The Book of Artifacts” what edition is that?
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms including dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkanqpayp4v3t ... 8.pdf?dl=0
User avatar
Coronoides
Ogre
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:18 am
Location: Melbourne Australia (mostly)

Re: Any anti-dragon weapons in Council of Wyrms?

Postby thorr-kan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:10 am

Coronoides wrote:
thorr-kan wrote:Note that there are two kinds of dragon orbs, and they are mutually exclusive.

Dragonlance has it's dragon orbs, detailed in it's supplements. I'm AFB, and I don't remember if they were artifacts or just really powerful magic items.

The Book of Artifacts has it's dragon orbs; I assume based on the original artifacts from OD&D. It specifically says these are not Krynnish dragon orbs.


So a non-Kryn orb could be the McGuffin for my campaign idea above. This “The Book of Artifacts” what edition is that?

2ED.

Honestly, either would work as campaign McGuffins. I just wanted to share that there are two different kinds.
thorr-kan
Bugbear
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: Any anti-dragon weapons in Council of Wyrms?

Postby Coronoides » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:50 am

thorr-kan wrote:
Coronoides wrote:
thorr-kan wrote:Note that there are two kinds of dragon orbs, and they are mutually exclusive.

Dragonlance has it's dragon orbs, detailed in it's supplements. I'm AFB, and I don't remember if they were artifacts or just really powerful magic items.

The Book of Artifacts has it's dragon orbs; I assume based on the original artifacts from OD&D. It specifically says these are not Krynnish dragon orbs.


So a non-Kryn orb could be the McGuffin for my campaign idea above. This “The Book of Artifacts” what edition is that?

2ED.

Honestly, either would work as campaign McGuffins. I just wanted to share that there are two different kinds.

Hmmm must have come out during my broke decades. My D&D history is essentially 1e, 2e (a whole lot of other games) then 5e.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms including dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkanqpayp4v3t ... 8.pdf?dl=0
User avatar
Coronoides
Ogre
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:18 am
Location: Melbourne Australia (mostly)

Re: Any anti-dragon weapons in Council of Wyrms?

Postby The Dark » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:01 am

Dragon #230 suggests that there are at least six sets of Orbs of Dragonkind, with three named (Krynn's Dragon Orbs of Ansalon, Faerun's Orbs of Draconic Influence, and Oerth's Orbs of Dragonkind). It also details out all the powers of the set on Oerth. That issue is dragon-themed overall, and also has dragonslayers and dragon magic.

Issue #205 had Dragon Slayers for Council of Wyrms, including an undead dragon slayer creature.

Issue #260 has Dragondoom, a tome of spells intended for dragon-hunting. Two that are nasty in combination are lockjaw and earth magnet. The first of those magically clamps the target's mouth shut, preventing bite attacks, verbal spellcasting, or the use of breath weapons for 1 round per caster level. The second slows target movement by 6 per round until it reaches 0, at which point it's considered slowed and it cannot attack with limbs in contact with the ground (no claws or tail for a dragon). If it was in flight when hit with earth magnet, it will crash unless making a saving throw (creatures already on the ground get no save), and then suffers the same effect. In combination, they restrict a dragon to just wing buffets.
The Dark
Troll
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:05 pm

Re: Any anti-dragon weapons in Council of Wyrms?

Postby Coronoides » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:24 am

In the boxed set there are Orbs of Io. Given the link between Io and the Dragon-slayers, Orbs of Dragonkind as a dark parody of the Orbs of Io would work for me.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? Check out my mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120857/rev ... system-opt and excel sheet https://rpggeek.com/filepage/120858/exc ... on-article

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms including dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkanqpayp4v3t ... 8.pdf?dl=0
User avatar
Coronoides
Ogre
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:18 am
Location: Melbourne Australia (mostly)


Return to Council of Wyrms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest