[Iospace] What connects Council of Wyrms to space?

Hear the wind rush by with each powerful flap of your scaled wings. You are a dragon - majestic, invincible, supreme!
The Book-House: Find Council of Wyrms products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Iospace] What connects Council of Wyrms to space?

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:00 pm

I had a topic, way back in 2011, called [Council of Wyrms] What "connectivity" does CoW have?, where I asked if there was any crossover material for Spelljammer, Planescape and/or Ravenloft and Ripvanwormer explained that Council of Wyrms was set in the distant past:
ripvanwormer wrote:Council of Wyrms was deliberately isolated from other campaigns because dragon PCs would tend to unbalance them. It says "The time is the distant past, the world is an unnamed sphere much like Toril or Oerth yet subtly different." So not only does it explicitly not take place in any of the other established D&D worlds, it doesn't even take place in the same time period. They designed it so that there was essentially no way to take a dragon PC from the Council of Wyrms setting to anywhere else. If a character from Council of Wyrms were to somehow stumble upon magic that allowed it to travel to other worlds, it would end up there in some ancient time when dragon PCs would fit in.

Other than the use of the term "sphere," there's no Spelljammer conection that I can see.
The topic then went off in a different direction (which was great at the time). Having learned that Io's Blood Islands wouldn't be in the same time period as other campaign settings (except perhaps the Arcane Age products from Forgotten Realms) I'd like to set that aside, come back to the start of the discussion and branch off from there to see if anyone has seen any mentions of space in the Council of Wyrms boxed set or Council of Wyrms hardback.

I might start another "[Iospace]" topic later, to discuss what sort of era the SJ universe might have been in during the time of the Council of Wyrms boxed set (i.e. post 1st Unhuman War, pre-1st Unhuman War, pre-Elven Navy or whatever) but for now, I'd prefer to focus on what canon space elements the Council of Wyrms boxed set has.

Has anyone seen any references to what is in the sky? Is the sun mentioned? Do we have a moon, stars, constellations or anything else?

NOTE: I picked "Iospace" as a potential Council of Wyrms/Spelljammer crossover tag over "Wyrmspace" as "Wyrmspace" and "Iospace" were both in use, but the only mention I saw of "Iospace" was a namecheck on a Spike's Hammer webpage on Reocities that had zero details. Naming the crystal sphere after Io felt right.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Re: [Iospace] What connects Council of Wyrms to space?

Post by Boneguard » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:57 pm

It's been a while since I read it, but IIRC, the Sun, Moon and stars/constellations were not mentioned..well maybe in passage but nothing specific. Which is good as it gives us lot's of creative power.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:25 am

Interestingly, while one sentence on the boxed set put CoW in the distant past other aspects of the design (islands separated from the rest of the world be a vast ocean for example) and TSR's own promotional material for the setting did indicate you could drop the Io's Blood Isles into another setting. For example, the re-release as a hardback volume was promoted as ‘campaign option’ intended to be dropped into any campaign world (Dragon Magazine issue 315).
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/magh66x3ly8q5 ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:31 am

From my sphere guide:
Dragonspace
Connects To/From: Unknown
Planets and Ports: Io's Blood
Sources: Council of Wyrms
Description and Notes:
This is the home sphere for the Council of Wyrms setting.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:26 am

Boneguard wrote:It's been a while since I read it, but IIRC, the Sun, Moon and stars/constellations were not mentioned..well maybe in passage but nothing specific. Which is good as it gives us lot's of creative power.
Any passing statements can be useful. Things like a mention of the calendar or seasons of the year could confirm that the Council of Wyrms planet has axil tilt and an orbital period of one standard* year.

* = Most planet based D&D settings have a year that is almost identical to the real-world year and a moon that is almost identical in apparant size to our own one.

A few D&D settings suggest that certain special materials are formed from rocks that fall from space.

I could just roll up a random crystal sphere using the AD&D Adventures in Space boxed set, but I'd rather extrapolate things from Council of Wyrms canon, if possible...even if it does involve taking a few leaps. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:39 am

Coronoides wrote:Interestingly, while one sentence on the boxed set put CoW in the distant past other aspects of the design (islands separated from the rest of the world be a vast ocean for example) and TSR's own promotional material for the setting did indicate you could drop the Io's Blood Isles into another setting. For example, the re-release as a hardback volume was promoted as ‘campaign option’ intended to be dropped into any campaign world (Dragon Magazine issue 315).
I have wondered about that myself.

But having looked at the fact that the first description specifically rules out a connection to Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk, as well as the fact that the canon Council of Wyrms map does not logically fit onto any canon D&D world I can think of, I'm inclined to pass off the "Campaign Option" claim as a marketing pitch aimed at getting GMs to buy the reprint book.

For me, building a crystal sphere around the Council of Wyrns canon...and trying (in my own way) to "respect" the CoW canon and infer what that crystal sphere would be like based mostly on how the general rules of Council of Wyrms and Spelljammer intersect with each other, seems a lot less like a reboot. So "dropping Council of Wyrms into the Spelljammer universe" is probably almost as far as I would like to go with that second concept. (Having said that if anyone else wants to start a topic for something like a Council of Wyrns/Dragonlance mashup or a Council of Wyrns meets Birthright game, I'd love to see how they want to do that. Canon is really just a tool. I use it for inspiration. Not everyone does. :) )

What I might do later, after I figure out what, if anything in the CoW boxed set refers to space, is have a look at what we know about the past of Spelljammer and Forgotten Realms's Arcane Age products. I believe they had higher levels of magic and perhaps the ability to create artifacts. But that's something for later. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:40 am

GMWestermeyer wrote:From my sphere guide:
Dragonspace
Connects To/From: Unknown
Planets and Ports: Io's Blood
Sources: Council of Wyrms
Description and Notes:
This is the home sphere for the Council of Wyrms setting.
Thanks Paul.

Is "Dragonspace" a canon name or a fanon name?

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:42 am

This idea is pretty interesting. You can even locate the world of Iomandra in Iospace, as this is a whole world created by Io to be ruled by dragons.

In fact, the Io's Blood archipelago can even exists in Iomandra, as well...

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:12 pm

For reference, Iomandra is detailed here: https://iomandra-next.obsidianportal.com/wikis/world

I'm not sure if that's official, though.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Its "semi-official". It was Chris Perkins homebrew world in 4e. It got a pretty good coverage in the old WotC site, but the info died when the forums died. That link you shared has a lot of the original stuff Chris posted in the old WotC forums, indeed.

Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

Post by Lord Sheriff Takari » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:41 pm

with regards to building a Crystal Sphere around the CoW setting
this shouldn't be too difficult.

if the core material in the CoW Box Set does not go into detail about the world itself or a printed Calendar to base from
you can easily build something very plausible along with the other elements in the system <planets, asteroids, and other stellar features.

the real question that comes up is how you as a DM will make the Spelljamming Connection to the other spheres and the greater Multiverse

the timeline as posted in the CoW Box Set would only apply within the Sphere Itself <Dragons are exceptionally Long Lived so the progression of general Knowledge
takes longer than say an Elf or Human culture
a CoW PC arriving from the "Homeworld" onto any other setting would see things are greatly different in the great Beyond versus back home
but they may find that returning home might not be possible
the Sphere is only 1 way <you can leave, but you can't come back.> thus preventing higher Tech items from coming back to the CoW world and disrupting the balance of life.

there also arises the issue of PC Dragons unbalancing the local worlds where they arrived, this can be countered by the Resident Dragons who will NOT Tolerate another Draconic Intruder in their turf
<general Canon for Dragons in the assorted Monster Manuals has them barely tolerating each other long enough to mate and raise young before parting ways.
and Dragons of another Color will be fought fiercely and driven off or killed outright!>
the Draconic PC would be wise to be very careful when entering a new Crystal Sphere and landing on the local world and make contact by cordial means to the local resident lest they find themselves in a very real battle for their existance

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:23 am

The description of the calendar on book 2 page 40 may be of use.
9 months 45 days each
3 weeks of 15 days per month
A year is 405 days
A cycle is 2000 years
All of the above are named in the book.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/magh66x3ly8q5 ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Hmmm...
Thinking about the whole ‘distant’ past issue. May be the Io’s Blood Sphere is a ‘lost world’ with low technology. In canon they don’t even have ocean going vessels there are hints of early Iron Age culture (see my thread on this viewtopic.php?f=103&t=18738). To such people a spelljammer ship will be miraculous. You could play up how ‘backward’ and ‘parochial’ spelljammers find the dragons and vassals on first contact. For thier part the Dragons will fear that an advanced flying ship with HUMANS on board is a scout for another invasion!

Return to “Council of Wyrms”