What are Zoats and what happened to them?

The Old World. On the surface, it is a vast and fertile place, but a shadow hangs over the world, cast by the dark, corrupting hand of Chaos.

What are Zoats and what happened to them?

Postby Havard » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:51 pm

I just heard about this race and that it was later removed from the Warhammer Fantasy Setting. Does anyone know more about them? Are they related to Dragon Ogres or not?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: What are Zoats and what happened to them?

Postby Ashtagon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Beyond the basic six-limb structure, they have no relationship to dragon ogres.

They appeared in WFRP 1e and WFB 3e, where they were forest creatures loosely associated with both the slann and the wood elves. It was heavily implied that they were the agents of the slann within the Old World region. They were absent from WFRP 2e.

The only other sort-of-reference to them is in a WH40K book, where "zoanthropes" appear as tyranid-allied creatures. The WH40K 2e zoanthrope had some vague similariites to zoats, but in WH40K 3e and later, they became psychic levitating monstrosities unrelated to zoats in appearance. I suppose the implication (in WH40K 2e) is that the zoat race was "assimilated" by a tyranid hive fleet.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: What are Zoats and what happened to them?

Postby The Dark » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Ashtagon wrote:Beyond the basic six-limb structure, they have no relationship to dragon ogres.

They appeared in WFRP 1e and WFB 3e, where they were forest creatures loosely associated with both the slann and the wood elves. It was heavily implied that they were the agents of the slann within the Old World region. They were absent from WFRP 2e.

The only other sort-of-reference to them is in a WH40K book, where "zoanthropes" appear as tyranid-allied creatures. The WH40K 2e zoanthrope had some vague similariites to zoats, but in WH40K 3e and later, they became psychic levitating monstrosities unrelated to zoats in appearance. I suppose the implication (in WH40K 2e) is that the zoat race was "assimilated" by a tyranid hive fleet.

In the 1987 Rogue Trader, a 'nid army had to be half Zoat. They were a slave race that acted as hive guardians and organized the slave races of the Tyranids. They were eliminated (in-universe) for being too independent of the Hive Minds and (out-of-universe) for not selling well (the same fatal flaw as the Squats). White Dwarf #97 had a painting guide for the "Space Zoats".

In fantasy, they're hermits that can be powerful magicians and fight with stone hammer-maces. They get along with wood elves, will sometimes associate with human druids, and hate goblinoids.
The Dark
Ogre

Return to Warhammer