[WH Fantasy] Does the Empire have a name?

The Old World. On the surface, it is a vast and fertile place, but a shadow hangs over the world, cast by the dark, corrupting hand of Chaos.

[WH Fantasy] Does the Empire have a name?

Postby Ashtagon » Thu May 18, 2017 3:00 pm

I see it called simply "the Empire" everywhere. But empire of what? or what empire? Is it ever referred to by a more specific name?

Same question for the planet itself. I've seen some wiki articles refer to the planet as "Mallus". Where does that name come from? I suspect it was first used in the post-whoops era when Games Workshop blew up the planet, but I'm not entirely sure.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: [WH Fantasy] Does the Empire have a name?

Postby Havard » Thu May 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Germany? :lol:

I don't know any canonical answer. I asssume it was modelled after the Holy Roman Empire. Not sure if something could be derived from that?

Edit: This wiki refers to the word as Mallus and says the full name of the Empire is the Empire of Man. Not sure if that name fits your sensibilities? :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Ashtagon » Fri May 19, 2017 9:03 am

I suppose a better question would be "What do the Bretonnians, Estalians, Tileans, Cathayans, Kislevites, and so on call that country?" If they took the name at face fvalue, it would in effect be conceding the idea that Altdorf rules over them as well as the not-HRE itself. Which sounds patently ridiculous.

At a meta-level, the Empire is based off the real-world Hoy Roman Empire. In old maps dataing from the 19th century, it's typically either labelled as "Holy Roman Empire", or left unlabelled but with most major constituent parts labelled instead. Scraping wikipedia as a source, I get the following:

1157: First use of "Holy Roman Empire" (referencing Barbarossa's intent to conquer Rome itself)
1254: Official adoption of "Holy Roman Empire" (referencing Barbarossa's intent to conquer Rome itself)
1474: First use of "Holy Roman Empire of the German People"
1512: Official adoption of "Holy Roman Empire of the German People"; "German Nation" suffix never sees widespread use.
1800: "Holy Roman Empire of the German People" no longer in use.

Putting this together and translating it into Warhammer terms presents a few problems. As an analogue for "holy", "Sigmarite" might work, except that Sigmar himself was crowned emperor by the high priest of Ulric. As such, that name would definitely not work. Similar issues arise for calling it the Ulrican empire.

The Empire is quite vocal in claiming to be the first true civilisation of the human race, calling Tilean claims of an earlier empire to be false. Although Tylos (now Skavenblight) was almost certainly the ancient Rome-analogue, it lacks the cultural weight that our Rome has. Essentially, there is no "Roman" analogue.

Equally, there is no single name that covers all ethnic groups native to the region (except perhaps "imperial citizen"). Possibly the only term that is at all reasonable is "Reik", referring to the main river.

So perhaps the other human nations call it the "Empire of the Reik"? Given that Games Workshop is notorious for using partisan points-of-view in its in-world materials, it seems reasonable to suppose that imperials themselves call it the "Empire of Man", but people of other lands consider that to be a vainglorious boast at best.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:11 pm

Maybe Cubicle 7's new products will clarify this.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby combatmedicreturns » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:54 am

I like Blessed Unberogen Reich as the formal and somewhat archaic name. Most people living in the realm call it simply 'The Empire.'
Brettonians refer to it as the Unberogens Empire.
Tileans call it the Northern Imperium.
Noscans call it the Great Kingdom, and call the Emperor Great King of the Southlands.
Dwarves call it Sigmar's Realm.
Elves call it the Young Empire.
combatmedicreturns
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:13 pm

combatmedicreturns wrote:I like Blessed Unberogen Reich as the formal and somewhat archaic name. Most people living in the realm call it simply 'The Empire.'
Brettonians refer to it as the Unberogens Empire.
Tileans call it the Northern Imperium.
Noscans call it the Great Kingdom, and call the Emperor Great King of the Southlands.
Dwarves call it Sigmar's Realm.
Elves call it the Young Empire.

Wow! Is that canon? :lol:
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby combatmedicreturns » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:03 am

No, but I drew on canon sources.

The Unberogens were SIgmar's tribe, as noted in several sources, including the Life of Sigmar.

Reik is the name of a major river, and Reikland is a core Imperial province, as others here have noted.
Reikspeil is the Imperial common language.

Reik looks a lot like reich, the German word for empire.

I put all that together with the historical inspirations of the HRE and came up with Blessed Unberogen Reich.
In my view, that name would be acceptable to both the Sigmarite and Ulrican cults.

The Dwarves were fast friends of SIgmar.
This is reflected by the custom that the Grand Theogonist of the Cult of Sigmar takes a Dwarf name as his new name upon elevation to his august office.
It makes sense to me that Dwarf's would think of Sigmar when naming the Empire.

The other names were all pretty straightforward, based on geography and history.
combatmedicreturns
Orc

Postby combatmedicreturns » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:09 am

Maybe it acquired the ''Blessed'' after the reign of Magnus the Pious?
combatmedicreturns
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:40 am

combatmedicreturns wrote:No, but I drew on canon sources.

That's pretty good logic for a fanon name. :cool:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Warhammer