The Gong Farmer (Career for all editions)

The Old World. On the surface, it is a vast and fertile place, but a shadow hangs over the world, cast by the dark, corrupting hand of Chaos.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

The Gong Farmer (Career for all editions)

Post by Big Mac »

Graeme Davis has put up a freebie The Gong Farmer: A Career for All Editions of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. If you don't know what a gong farmer is, here is the start of the article:
Graeme Davis at his website wrote:The Gong Farmer: A Career for All Editions of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Every since Our Heroes ventured into the sewers of Nuln in “The Oldenhaller Contract” way back in 1986, WFRP has had a certain association with the grimier, less pleasant (and less pleasant-smelling) aspects of life in a medieval fantasy world. Rat Catchers have come to define the anti-heroic ethos of the Old World, but there are greater heroes, as yet unsung: the silent night-time armies of gong farmers and nightsoil men (and women) who nightly move uncounted tons of human waste from those homes which have no sewer access.

A while ago, I posted a version of this career for WFRP 1, 2, and 3. Here is an improved and corrected version, with details for 4th edition added. Enjoy – and leave comments below. I’d love to have your ideas on how this career might be improved.

The gong farmer has the least enviable job in the Old World. In towns and other settlements without a sewer system, the gong farmer gathers up all human waste and deposits it in a communal dump or cesspool outside the walls. Often permitted to work only at night, gong farmers are also known as nightsoil men.

Owing to the nature of their profession, gong farmers are able to remain calm in the face of things that would disgust and even nauseate ordinary folk. They are also well able to resist disease and poison through long exposure to the most noxious of substances.
A while ago I was thinking of sewermen that might need to deal with some sort of medieval fatberg. But what is interesting about this, is that gong farmers imply a lack of sewers. The two things go together. So you could deal a campaign setting up into cities and towns with sewers...and cities and towns with gong farmers.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: The Gong Farmer (Career for all editions)

Post by Tim Baker »

I knew about the Gongfarmer's Almanac, but never knew the term's meaning. You learn something new every day!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: The Gong Farmer (Career for all editions)

Post by Big Mac »

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:21 am
I knew about the Gongfarmer's Almanac, but never knew the term's meaning. You learn something new every day!
I've never heard about the Gongfarmer's Almanac, but then again I don't play Dungeon Crawl Classics or Mutant Crawl Classics, so I'm obviously not talking to people who would be reading it. Sounds like a good thing, but it is probably not specifically related to gong farming.

Meanwhile, Graeme Davis posted some information about where gong farmers would be found:
Graeme Davis on Twitter wrote:Anywhere without sewers. That includes smaller towns and villages, but also parts of cities that do not have sewer access. In the latter case, the gong farmers will take their loads to the nearest manhole and drop it into the system for there...

...and in larger towns and cities, there may even be tax collectors stationed there who charge for dumping. The gong farmers will have to reckon this charge into their fees.

Although, as it has been pointed out elsewhere, there may be uses for human waste in the manufacturing of gunpowder or fertilizing fields (cook all veggies very thoroughly!). Historically, urine was collected separately and used for fulling wool.
Another person said that someone from Sweden discovered that phosphorus could be extracted from human waste.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Warhammer”