Realm of Chaos (Sourcebook)

The Old World. On the surface, it is a vast and fertile place, but a shadow hangs over the world, cast by the dark, corrupting hand of Chaos.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Realm of Chaos (Sourcebook)

Post by Havard »

One of my friends back in High School was a Warhammer GM and one of the items he was proudest of owning for WHFRP was the book called Realm of Chaos (1990 edition). From what he told me back then, the book was really hard to come by, and of course the included elements of graphic violence and sexuality appealed to us in our teenage years. The book apparently contained both RPG and Miniatures related rules.

Was the book really that good or useful?

I never saw the 1995 version which apparently added even more contents. How different are the two editions?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Bugbear

Re: Realm of Chaos (Sourcebook)

Post by 1970 »

*poof* Tread Necromancy! :mrgreen:

I have the first Realms of Chaos book, and, if I remember correctly, it was mostly miniatures related. It focused on two of the Chaos Gods (Slaanesh and Khourne) and had a little something on both of them. I didn't find a lot useful about it except the Chaos Warrior advance schemes. Honestly, aside from the pretty cool art, it was one of the least satisfying Warhammer purchases I've made. I don't think I've ever used it.

I'm pretty sure the second volume focuses on Nurgle and Tzeentch. I couldn't say whether or not it balanced out the content between Fantasy Roleplay, Fantasy Battles, and 40K though.
Formless Faceless and Free

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon »

There were two books, titled Slaves to Darkness and The Lost and the Damned. The first one covered the chaos gods Khorne and Slaanesh, the second covered Nurgle and Tzeentch. In principle, both contained material for WFB, WFRP (1st edition) and WH40K. However, in the five years between the two books, WFB (and, I think, WH40K too) had edition changes, which meant that the presentation of the two books was quite different; in particular, WFB armies built using one book weren't necessarily comparable to armies built using the other book. There was a big emphasis on squad-level battles ("warbands") using randomly generated soldiers. The two books could be made to work together, but it was a non-trivial job (something like using D&D 3.0 material in a PF campaign).
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

1970 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:24 pm
*poof* Tread Necromancy! :mrgreen:

I have the first Realms of Chaos book, and, if I remember correctly, it was mostly miniatures related. It focused on two of the Chaos Gods (Slaanesh and Khourne) and had a little something on both of them. I didn't find a lot useful about it except the Chaos Warrior advance schemes. Honestly, aside from the pretty cool art, it was one of the least satisfying Warhammer purchases I've made. I don't think I've ever used it.

I'm pretty sure the second volume focuses on Nurgle and Tzeentch. I couldn't say whether or not it balanced out the content between Fantasy Roleplay, Fantasy Battles, and 40K though.

Ashtagon wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:33 pm
There were two books, titled Slaves to Darkness and The Lost and the Damned. The first one covered the chaos gods Khorne and Slaanesh, the second covered Nurgle and Tzeentch. In principle, both contained material for WFB, WFRP (1st edition) and WH40K. However, in the five years between the two books, WFB (and, I think, WH40K too) had edition changes, which meant that the presentation of the two books was quite different; in particular, WFB armies built using one book weren't necessarily comparable to armies built using the other book. There was a big emphasis on squad-level battles ("warbands") using randomly generated soldiers. The two books could be made to work together, but it was a non-trivial job (something like using D&D 3.0 material in a PF campaign).
Nice!

I think it must have been the first book that my friend owned. I do remember that Slaanesh featured in our games back then, although Nurgle and his followers were also frequently mentioned.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Warhammer”