Mixing Fantasy and 40K

The Old World. On the surface, it is a vast and fertile place, but a shadow hangs over the world, cast by the dark, corrupting hand of Chaos.
Bugbear

Mixing Fantasy and 40K

Post by 1970 »

I've had this idea for months about a group of mismatched characters brought together somehow by a witch hunter and sent on missions across the Empire fighting Chaos wherever they find it. I got the idea from 40K's Dark Heresy game, which I bought into relatively cheap a few years ago and am now taking another look at. I'm trying to reconcile how to mix the technology of 40K with my preferred Warhammer iteration, which is Fantasy. I think Dark Heresy works well with the assumption of lots of worlds and environments, while Fantasy seems kind of small and uniform comparatively speaking. I also like the idea of a God-Emperor better than a polytheistic reality which is Fantasy. It's an easy enough fix, but eliminating the majority of the gods in the Empire seems extreme.

I'd rather not have to go in and reread Dark Heresy again (I did years ago and I remember it being kind of dry), which is one of the reasons I'm leaning toward Fantasy, but am having a difficult time wrapping my head around it. Has anyone done something like this and/or have any advice for mixing and matching 40K with Fantasy?

Oh yeah. To make this more difficult I'm really seeing this as a First Edition game, as I've been collecting issues of Warpstone and would like to use them, plus I like the magic system in it better as well. Thanks!
Formless Faceless and Free

Bugbear

Re: Mixing Fantasy and 40K

Post by 1970 »

It occurs to me that I could maybe get more out of this game if I switched game systems entirely and played something like Swords & Wizardry or another OSR game. I don't know how a level-based game would handle the more free form nature of Warhammer Fantasy, but it would be easier to bolt things onto. I'm still feeling this thing out. Thanks for bearing with me.

Bugbear

Post by 1970 »

Well, after some thought I've defiantly ruled out any OSR game. The level-based system doesn't seem to support the kind of game I want to run. I'm defiantly using First Edition Warhammer Fantasy as well. I tried this idea out with some Second Edition characters a few months ago, and wound up with a Human Rat Catcher (and his small but vicious dog, Snot) and a Halfling Peasant who was a baker before her husband was killed by Chaos something or others. I had originally made the Rat Catcher for an organized crime game I had planned, but that got shelved in favor of the Witch Hunters idea. I'll want a third character to round the group out, but that will come later. I'll also have to redo the baker, since I don't see any kind of generic member of the teeming masses in 1E except for the Laborer, which doesn't really fit my concept for her.

I've already got a plan to get the "acolytes" together and working for Dieter Klaus, a veteran Witch Hunter. Fun and games await, I hope. :halo:

Bugbear

Post by 1970 »

Okay, I've got my three characters:

Janna Thistledown: A middle-aged halfling cook whose husband and children were killed by a band of Chaos worshipers while she was out in the field gathering herbs. While in mourning, Dieter arrived, hunting down the cultists. Not having any other purpose, Janna followed him, cooking meals and on occasion warning him of danger using her sixth sense. Although she was no good in the fight against their enemies, her unassuming, friendly nature plus her lightning fast reflexes assured the witch hunter that she was a valuable asset in his fight against Chaos.

I found a file in my Warhammer Fantasy folder that had a ton of homemade and house ruled Careers. Amazingly, the Cook was among them.

Hans Gerber: A teenage militiaman, Hans was born sickly. Still, when the noble whose family he served went to war against he was drafted anyway. Trained in the basics of combat and given his equipment, he was sent off to die in some conflict that he felt had nothing to do with him. So at his first opportunity, he deserted. Now, after fielding some minor mercenary jobs, he looks after Janna Thistledown, a presumptive witch hunter in training.

Gunter Handlmann (and Snot): A young rat catcher and his dog, Gunter was born in the backwoods of the Empire. Seeing little opportunity where he was and wanting the good life, he struck out on the road to make his dreams come true. That never happened. He did, however, find work as a rat catcher in a large city, where he also earned some coin doing less-than-legal work. During one of these jobs, Janna observed him and, in exchange for not turning him over to the authorities, acquired his services in her fight against Chaos. He's not happy about it, but she keeps him and Snot fed, and the work is never boring, so he sticks around.

I never thought before that Janna would be the groups' leader, or at least the common thread that links them all together, especially since her Leadership score is 19 and her Cool is 15. She has an above average Willpower though, and an impressive Fellowship, so she's got her niche. She's also the only one with a real reason to go ahead and fight against the darkness: she doesn't really care anymore. Revenge and the mission is all she lives for. Everyone else is kind of along for the ride. I don't know how I feel about that right now, but for the moment it's good enough to start.

Return to “Warhammer”