[Warhammer] Age of Sigmar (2015)

The Old World. On the surface, it is a vast and fertile place, but a shadow hangs over the world, cast by the dark, corrupting hand of Chaos.

[Warhammer] Age of Sigmar (2015)

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:57 am

As mentioned in this thread, it has been brewing for a long time that Warhammer's Old World Setting is coming to an end.

The Warhammer Setting has gone through many ages and again it seems that the destruction of the Old World will lead to a new rewamped setting.

What is known of this new "Age of Sigmar"?

I came across a couple of articles.

This one deals mostly with the new miniatures game, but there is some info on the setting as well.

Apparently the new setting will have 8 worlds that are connected through magical gates and Chaos being one of them.

I am curious to see if this will grow into an RPG setting as well.

What do you think? I know there has been alot of hate for GW's business models lately and this could be seen as just another money making scheme, but I am curious to see what this new world will be like. :)

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Warhammer] Age of Sigmar

Postby night_druid » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:38 pm

Curious, although I wonder how detailed are they really going to get with their worlds. I suspect we probably won't even get maps, and just vague (1 page, tops) descriptions of these new worlds. Probably boil down to "elf world, dwarf world, human world 1, human world 2, orc world" and the like.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:38 pm

night_druid wrote:Curious, although I wonder how detailed are they really going to get with their worlds. I suspect we probably won't even get maps, and just vague (1 page, tops) descriptions of these new worlds. Probably boil down to "elf world, dwarf world, human world 1, human world 2, orc world" and the like.

I don't know. Doesn't GW have a tendency to publish all kinds of fluff and novels etc for their miniature games?

As to the worlds, you may be right. Although from one of the articles I liked in my first post we learn of a "Fire World" that was once controlled by Khorne that is now being taken back by the forces of Sigmar. So maybe they will be doing some elemental plane thing?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Argentmantle » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:52 pm

GW has a tendency to publish a lot of stuff. The problem is that they haven't released a new major system since Mordheim (I believe). With this in mind, a lot of the fluff is just recycled or fleshed out stories from the past. 40K has seen a lot of new growth with the addition of the Horus Heresy campaigns and novels... and new stuff as well. But the core universe is relatively unchanged. This gives them the chance to start basically all new fluff without 30 years of backstory... of course it also means that they have to come out with all new fluff on their own instead of recycling older materials.

I think they are doing a 'Shards' type realm(s)... lots of 'sub-worlds' that the different factions can fight over. Which seems like a cool idea.

I'm dodging any real opinion of the game until I get the chance to play the new rules. With miniature games, I'm utterly of the beer and pretzel mentality, which GW has done an okay job of producing in the past. Blood Bowl, Mordheim, Man o'War, and Fantasy Skirmish are some of my favorites. I'm quite okay with a simple rules and good miniatures mindset. After first read of the rules, they look to be of this mindset.
Argentmantle
Troll

Postby DirtSkull » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:29 pm

I'm playing a Dilettante in the Ashes of Middenheim tonight. 2nd Edition WFRP. This group is crazy loyal to this edition/the Empire setting. They always chatter about how previous publishers/new interested publishers are going to pick up and run with it. I hope their dream comes true one day.
DirtSkull
Gnoll

Re: [Warhammer] Age of Sigmar (2015)

Postby Havard » Sun May 28, 2017 9:19 pm

Now that Age of Sigmar has been out for a few years, what is known about the setting? How different is it from the original Warhammer Old World?

How suited would it be as a setting for a roleplaying game (which is now in the works)?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Sharkbelly » Mon May 29, 2017 2:42 am

I think the main difference is that the old setting was dark, gritty, but very realistic and lower fantasy.

The new one is very high fantasy, with Realmgates connecting different planes and civilizations that span across them.
Sharkbelly
Hobgoblin

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue May 30, 2017 9:19 am

Sharkbelly wrote:The new one is very high fantasy, with Realmgates connecting different planes and civilizations that span across them.
My interest is piqued.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Ashtagon » Tue May 30, 2017 9:38 am

What might be interesting is if each of these worlds are "mirrors" of the original warhammer world, but with one faction or another dominant, or some other trait changed, kind of like how we usually present Mystara's elemental planes.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Sharkbelly » Tue May 30, 2017 10:57 am

Well, not mirrors really. Each realm is the manifestation of one of the four winds of magic:

Fire
Metal
Life
Beasts
Death
Shadows
Heavens
Light
Sharkbelly
Hobgoblin

Postby Ashtagon » Tue May 30, 2017 11:59 am

That could still work.

The Amethyst Magic world might be one in which the undead have gained dominance, whilst the Amber Magic world might be one in which civilisation never really gained a foothold and the Empire is dominated by the proto-imperial culture from the days immediately before its founding.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Sharkbelly » Tue May 30, 2017 1:14 pm

That's right! Nagash rules the realm of death (Amethyst) while the Orcs and ogres are the main forces in the realm of beasts.
Sharkbelly
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:18 am

Sharkbelly wrote:Well, not mirrors really. Each realm is the manifestation of one of the four winds of magic:

Fire
Metal
Life
Beasts
Death
Shadows
Heavens
Light

How is this going to work (from an out of character point-of-view)? Are they doing a different sorucebook for each realm?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Warhammer