[Warhammer] Placing Freeport in the Old World?

The Old World. On the surface, it is a vast and fertile place, but a shadow hangs over the world, cast by the dark, corrupting hand of Chaos.

[Warhammer] Placing Freeport in the Old World?

Postby Havard » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Hi there,
one of my friends is thinking about running Freeport in the Old World if the Warhammer Setting. I think he mentioned placing it in the Border Princess. What do you think about this idea? Do you think it would call for alot of changes to the Freeport Setting? If you have used the Warhammer FRP, how do you think it would work running the Freeport modules and other Freeport material with that system?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Warhammer] Placing Freeport in the Old World?

Postby Sharkbelly » Sat May 27, 2017 2:20 pm

There is a pirate realm in warhammer called Sartosa. I think it would be a perfect place to set Freeport.
Sharkbelly
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:52 am

Sharkbelly wrote:There is a pirate realm in warhammer called Sartosa. I think it would be a perfect place to set Freeport.

Would it be better to "file the serial numbers" off of Freeport and use it as Sartosa?

If someone wanted to use Freeport as Sartosa, how many changes would they need to make? What sort of IP conflicts would exist between Sartosa's canon and Freeport's canon?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Sharkbelly » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:17 pm

As I recall, Sartosa had a pirate queen while Freeport had a Captains' Council. Sections of Freeport--especially the more run-down ones--could easily double for Sartosa.
Sharkbelly
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:33 pm

Sharkbelly wrote:As I recall, Sartosa had a pirate queen while Freeport had a Captains' Council. Sections of Freeport--especially the more run-down ones--could easily double for Sartosa.

I found a Sartosa article on Warhammer Fantasy Wiki. That suggests that Sartosa has "Pirate Lords".

There is also a nice map of Sartosa there:
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi Sharkbelly!

Thanks for the suggestion. I will pass along that to my friend. Maybe he will use Sartosa as a basis for his game. Apparently there is a fan book out there called Pirates of Sartosa, but I was not able to download it from any of the sites that hosted it. Does anyone know if it is any good?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:53 am

Havard wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I will pass along that to my friend. Maybe he will use Sartosa as a basis for his game. Apparently there is a fan book out there called Pirates of Sartosa, but I was not able to download it from any of the sites that hosted it. Does anyone know if it is any good?

Nice spot. It looks like someone, called Mathias Eliasson made Pirates of Sartosa and posted it on the Warhammer Armies Project Blog back in 2013. Google Drive seem to have deleted or moved the file.

I dropped a comment on the blog. Mathais posted an article last month, so I'm hoping he will see my post and be able to help you.

In the meantime it looks like someone has uploaded a copy of Pirates of Sartosa to a website called Issuu.com. You can have a look at the Issuu website and see a slideshow of all of the pages. I can't read the text there, but it really looks well made. They ask people to log in there, to get the download. I don't know if they charge, but you might want to give that a go.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby combatmedicreturns » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:37 am

FREEPORT STUFF

Gods

Equivalents of the prominent Freeport gods are easy enough

Warriors=Myrmidia
The Sea= Manaan
Pirates= Stromfels (possibly an aspect of Manaan, as per WFRP sources)
Knowledge= Verena

I'd probably use Chaos cults for the Mythos stuff, but Khaine might also be fun.

Races
Humans: well, yup. :)
Elves= WFRP Sea Elves, I suppose? Probably castaways and renegades.
Halflings: no conversion needed.
Dwarfs= ditto, but one might consider making the engineer dudes in Freeport, the ones with diving bells and such, Dwarfs. ''The things a Dwarf will build to avoid taking a bath!' say the Elves.
Half-orcs= they exist in WFRP 1E.
Gnomes: they exist in WFRP 1E, and one of the Hogshead compilations has a pretty extensive article on playing them. Otherwise, just swap out with Dwarfs or Halflings as makes sense.

Serpentmen:

Chaos Beastmen of a particular strain? Reptilian cousins of the lizard races created by the Old Slann?

There's a human-seeming serpent dude in the main WFRP book.

Tech: mostly requires no conversion

Professions: again, easy peasy.
combatmedicreturns
Orc

Postby Ashtagon » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:50 am

If those serpetmen are meant to be yuan-ti without serial numbers, I'd say replace them with skaven. Warhammer's Skaven seem to fill much the same socio-ecological niche as bogeymen.

I'd also be a bit iffy about gnomes and half-orcs (give them a race lift to dwarfs and humans respectively). Warhammer dropped those two races from canon decades ago, and they seemed a bit of a kitchen sink job ("the standard fantasy settings have them, so I guess we have to have them too...") even back when they had them.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Sharkbelly » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:57 pm

I agree on the Skaven. Plus ratmen seem appropriate to a nautical setting.
Sharkbelly
Hobgoblin

Return to Warhammer