[Warhammer] + [Bloodbowl] Where does Bloodbowl fit in?

The Old World. On the surface, it is a vast and fertile place, but a shadow hangs over the world, cast by the dark, corrupting hand of Chaos.

[Warhammer] + [Bloodbowl] Where does Bloodbowl fit in?

Postby Havard » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:28 pm

I think I read somewhere that the Bloodbowl games take place in the New World. Does this mean that it takes place in Warhammer's equivalent of North America?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Warhammer] + [Bloodbowl] Where does Bloodbowl fit in?

Postby Ashtagon » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:20 pm

My understanding of Bloodbowl was that it was an "apocryphal" setting. It has no place at all within the Warhammer universe.

WH's equivalent of North America is Naggaroth, which is where all the dark elves live. I suppose it could be that their slave ships capture specimens to compete in arenas for their entertainment. That's how I'd frame it if I wanted to place it inside a WH campaign (but that would risk a certain amount of silliness). It's certainly a brutal enough sport to appeal to them. However, a lot of the fluff around Bloodbowl suggests it is a "popular" sport among civilians of all peoples.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby The Dark » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:27 am

It's considered to be a world "similar to" that of Warhammer. I don't remember any locations being set, but the real-world locations of the tournaments could be used - the Blood Bowl was in Nottingham, the Dungeonbowl in Germany, the Spike! Cup in Canada, and the Chaos Cup in Chicago. That would put the Blood Bowl in Albion, the Dungeonbowl in the Empire, and the latter two in Naggaroth (although one could be moved to Ulthuan.
The Dark
Troll

Postby Havard » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:19 pm

The Dark wrote:It's considered to be a world "similar to" that of Warhammer. I don't remember any locations being set, but the real-world locations of the tournaments could be used - the Blood Bowl was in Nottingham, the Dungeonbowl in Germany, the Spike! Cup in Canada, and the Chaos Cup in Chicago. That would put the Blood Bowl in Albion, the Dungeonbowl in the Empire, and the latter two in Naggaroth (although one could be moved to Ulthuan.

I like this suggestion a lot.

As Ashtagon mentions it might be better to consider this an alternate Warhammer setting where more silliness is allowed for than in the standard setting. Alternately, you could tone down the silliness, but still have a toned down version of the Bloodbowl sport going on in your Warhammer world.

What do you guys think? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby night_druid » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:44 pm

I don't think Bloodbowl takes place in the Warhammer Fantasy world (not that it matters now...RIP Warhammer Fantasy). I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. Lore-wise, I don't think it really "fits" the feel of the Warhammer Fantasy world, so its probably best to put it in a more comical version of that world. Or at least one where the races aren't so bloody hostile to one another. Maybe some pocket dimension in the Warp where the players are actually the spirits of fallen heroes forced to play for the amusement of Chaos demons and such.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:25 pm

Ashtagon wrote:My understanding of Bloodbowl was that it was an "apocryphal" setting. It has no place at all within the Warhammer universe.

Surely Bloodbowl takes the place of gladitorial combat arenas.

Having said that, they have battlegrounds in World of Warcraft, that would seem to perform a similar function. And they also don't feel logical, outside the context of a pure-combat game.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:36 pm

They've just announced a Blood Bowl comic book which looks to flesh out more details about that world. It looks like the main characters are from the Grand Barony of Hochland.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:48 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:They've just announced a Blood Bowl comic book which looks to flesh out more details about that world. It looks like the main characters are from the Grand Barony of Hochland.

Wow, the covers look really cool!
I wonder how interesting a story could be based on this comic, but I guess there have been other Bloodbowl fiction in the Bloodbowl universe earlier?

I have added this comic to my list of comics based on RPGs.

I am surprised that Hochland is going to be the setting for the comics. That means they are ignoring that reference about Bloodbowl games being held in the New World?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ripvanwormer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Havard wrote:I am surprised that Hochland is going to be the setting for the comics.

It's where the team is from, but not necessarily the setting for the comic.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:14 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Havard wrote:I am surprised that Hochland is going to be the setting for the comics.

It's where the team is from, but not necessarily the setting for the comic.

Hm, good point. It will be a little odd if a team from the Hochland region are represented in the games held in the New World, but in any case, it should be interesting to learn more about this.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Ashtagon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:11 pm

The reason I call Blood Bowl apocryphal is that, outside of Blood Bowl specific materials, it has traditionally been entirely unmentioned in any other Warhammer product. If it actually existed in the WFRP/WFB setting, it would have had a mention somewhere by now, given the decades-long publishing history of the setting.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Gilvanblight » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:48 am

Blood bowl is definitely part of the Warhammer World. The old World is the setting of the miniature battle game and the RPG.

It's a sport created by Wizards and they broadcast it through a crystal ball network. Eventually they got bored with it and invented Dungeon Bowl a more deadly version.

Well at least it was. But now a days the Warhammer World doesn't even exist and there's that whole Age of Sigmar thing going on which I don't really know anything about.
Gilvanblight
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Gilvanblight wrote:Blood bowl is definitely part of the Warhammer World. The old World is the setting of the miniature battle game and the RPG.

It's a sport created by Wizards and they broadcast it through a crystal ball network. Eventually they got bored with it and invented Dungeon Bowl a more deadly version.

Interesting.

What's the in-character reason behind the players being involved?

Is this supposed to be some sort of "proxy war" with teams saving entire armies from fighting? Or are the teams supposed to be captured slaves who are forced to play/fight?

Gilvanblight wrote:Well at least it was. But now a days the Warhammer World doesn't even exist and there's that whole Age of Sigmar thing going on which I don't really know anything about.

I guess that everything that is out of print, would assume to be non-existent in a new campaign setting.

But I'm not sure if Age of Sigma is a new setting or a radically altered version of the original setting. :?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Gilvanblight » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:24 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Interesting.

What's the in-character reason behind the players being involved?

Is this supposed to be some sort of "proxy war" with teams saving entire armies from fighting? Or are the teams supposed to be captured slaves who are forced to play/fight?

I guess that everything that is out of print, would assume to be non-existent in a new campaign setting.

But I'm not sure if Age of Sigma is a new setting or a radically altered version of the original setting. :?

Players want to be involved. Fame and fortune is had by a Blood Bowl All-Star. Remember Warhamemr is much darker than your usual setting and having enough money to eat in that world is a big thing. So people will do anything to get to play the game, even if they know it will probably mean death or at least dismemberment in the long run. The early splat books and White Dwarf actually went into reasons for each race. For exmaple for Orcs, why they heck wouldn't they. This is like the ultimate Orc Dream Go out on a field and prove how Tuff you are. Dwarves it was to test out new tactics, gear and machinery, they had all kinds of things like The Steam Roller and Airships.

Age of Sigmar is a new setting. They literally blew up The Olde World. It's gone. Then re-launched with some new setting where everything looks different and has different names.

AS far as I can tell the new Blood Bowl is still set in the Olde World but Warhammer Quest is set in the Age of Sigmar setting.
Gilvanblight
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:26 am

Thanks Gilvanblight.

That makes a lot of sense. It seems more real to me now.
Last edited by Big Mac on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Hunter_Maddox » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:00 am

Where is Blood Bowl set? The War Hammer Fantasy World ... but only in a alternate reality of it. If you read the Blood Bowl novels they are set in the world - albeit a near parody of it. Like the the real WHF world it can be grim & brutal but it is also very tongue in cheek. I'd only include it into WHF proper if you want to play up the silliness of the alternative setting. If you do that you have to read the novels first to get a good feel for how to do so. But if you want to keep the grim dark of WHF don't bother including it as the brutal silliness will wreck the tone & feel. But if you do incorporate it, it would give you an excuse to switch between the Roleplay game & Blood Bowl.
Hunter_Maddox
Orc

Return to Warhammer