Are Blood Bowl minuatures any good in a tabletop game?

The Old World. On the surface, it is a vast and fertile place, but a shadow hangs over the world, cast by the dark, corrupting hand of Chaos.

Are Blood Bowl minuatures any good in a tabletop game?

Postby Big Mac » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:24 pm

I always thought that Blood Bowl looked a bit silly game (rather than a sensible part of Warhammer) but has anyone ever used any of the Blood Bowl miniatures in a regular tabletop game?

Could you paint these slightly differently, or modify some of them, to make them look a bit less like American Football players and a bit more like Warhammer PCs or NPCs?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Are Blood Bowl minuatures any good in a tabletop game?

Postby Gilvanblight » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:36 am

The biggest problem right now is the scale. You can't even use the new edition figures with the old version of the game. They have grown significantly. The originals were around 28mm, then they were 32mm no clue what they are now but they look huge.

I've used my 2e Blood Bowl minis for a wide variety of things. The Dwarf Steamroller has been used many times as both a Dwarf and Dragonlance Gnome invention. The goblins I've used as well goblins. An Elven Kicker was a D&D PC. Most of them look more fantasy than football. The new Orks which seem to be covered with weapons would work just as standard Orcs I would think. I have to assume they changed the background though since, despite being overly violent weapons were lot allowed in the versions of the game I own.
Gilvanblight
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:39 am

Gilvanblight wrote:The biggest problem right now is the scale. You can't even use the new edition figures with the old version of the game. They have grown significantly. The originals were around 28mm, then they were 32mm no clue what they are now but they look huge.

The oversized scale is one of the two off-putting things with Games Workshop miniatures :( (the other thing being an excessive amount of spikey bits on certain minis).

I've always gone to their shops, with a mind to look for a subset of miniatures that I am able to use.

Gilvanblight wrote:I've used my 2e Blood Bowl minis for a wide variety of things. The Dwarf Steamroller has been used many times as both a Dwarf and Dragonlance Gnome invention. The goblins I've used as well goblins. An Elven Kicker was a D&D PC. Most of them look more fantasy than football. The new Orks which seem to be covered with weapons would work just as standard Orcs I would think. I have to assume they changed the background though since, despite being overly violent weapons were lot allowed in the versions of the game I own.

A steamroller does sound very much like it would work as a Tinker Gnome invention! :lol:

It sounds like I would have some usable miniatures.

How did Blood Bowl minis get sold? Were they gigantic boxed sets, or were they sold in twos and threes?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Sharkbelly » Sat May 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Both! There were boxed sets for some teams, and blister packs for some of the models.
Sharkbelly
Hobgoblin

Return to Warhammer