Warhammer cosmology

The Old World. On the surface, it is a vast and fertile place, but a shadow hangs over the world, cast by the dark, corrupting hand of Chaos.

Warhammer cosmology

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:20 pm

What sort of cosmology does Warhammer Fantasy have?

Are there other planes, similar to Planescape?

Are there other planets in the Warhammer solar system, similar to a Spelljammer crystal sphere?

Did Warhammer 40K create an updated (40,000 years later) version of the fantasy universe?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Warhammer cosmology

Postby combatmedicreturns » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:18 pm

There is the Warp/Realm ofChaos/place where gods and daemons (which innWFRP 1 E are not by any means all evil, as the Vidyagg/ life elemental demonstrates) exist.

And the material world.
combatmedicreturns
Orc

Postby combatmedicreturns » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:23 pm

The ingame relationship between Fantasy and 4OK is one of those nebulous, shifting topics not settled in canon.

I personally like the fan idea that Sigmar was a lost Primarch and Warhammer Earth is an isolated colony, cut off from the rest of the 40K galaxy by warpstorms.

The chronology and probably racial origins given in WFRP don't really fit that, though it is not hard to make adjustments and reconcile backgrounds.

4OK is the far future, the 41st Millenium of what in our times would be Anno Domini dating. Humans of 40K came from our Earth, our Solar System.Terra is the capital world. The E,peror's palace is a ginormous complex under the Himalayas. Mars is the archetypal industrial planet
RT makes that all very clear, and I understand the novels also reference our world.
Like Dune, it's just really far from our times.
combatmedicreturns
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:28 pm

Thanks for the information.

Realm of Chaos sounds like it ties in with all that "chaos spikey bits" stuff.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Warhammer