Page 1 of 1

Warhammer 3rd Ed

Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:22 pm
by Havard
Image

Anyone play the 3rd Edition of Warhammer? Originally I was sort of turned off by the idea of chips, wonky dice and other gimmicks, but now I regret not picking it up while it was available for not so outrageous collector prices. What are your experiences with this edition of the game? :)

-Havard

Re: Warhammer 3rd Ed

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:17 am
by Havard
Well, I took the plunge and ordered a boxed set via ebay. Let's hope its not a scammer.

-Havard

Re: Warhammer 3rd Ed

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:57 pm
by agathokles
It's from the same company that does the new Star Wars games, isn't it?

GP

Re: Warhammer 3rd Ed

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:09 pm
by Havard
agathokles wrote:It's from the same company that does the new Star Wars games, isn't it?

GP
Correct. I think that's why there are so many cards and weird dice etc.

-Havard

Re: Warhammer 3rd Ed

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:31 pm
by agathokles
Havard wrote:
agathokles wrote:It's from the same company that does the new Star Wars games, isn't it?
Correct. I think that's why there are so many cards and weird dice etc.
Uhm... I don't care too much for this kind of approach. I'm staying with Saga for SW, and I'd rather play WH 2e, if I had the opportunity to play WH at all.

GP

Re: Warhammer 3rd Ed

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:32 pm
by Havard
agathokles wrote:
Havard wrote:
agathokles wrote:It's from the same company that does the new Star Wars games, isn't it?
Correct. I think that's why there are so many cards and weird dice etc.
Uhm... I don't care too much for this kind of approach. I'm staying with Saga for SW, and I'd rather play WH 2e, if I had the opportunity to play WH at all.

GP
Yes, I mostly feel the same way. I am fairly traditional that way. As mentioned I prefer Warhammer 2nd Edition like you. For Star Wars I prefer D6.

I am curious to see how the next edition of Warhammer will turn out though! :)

-Havard

Re: Warhammer 3rd Ed

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:05 pm
by agathokles
Havard wrote: Yes, I mostly feel the same way. I am fairly traditional that way. As mentioned I prefer Warhammer 2nd Edition like you. For Star Wars I prefer D6.

I am curious to see how the next edition of Warhammer will turn out though! :)
Indeed. I read that they plan to make it inspired by WH 1 and 2. Not that it is surprising, yet from what I've read I saw few issues in WH2.

GP

Re: Warhammer 3rd Ed

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:42 am
by Big Mac
agathokles wrote:
Havard wrote:
agathokles wrote:It's from the same company that does the new Star Wars games, isn't it?
Correct. I think that's why there are so many cards and weird dice etc.
Uhm... I don't care too much for this kind of approach. I'm staying with Saga for SW, and I'd rather play WH 2e, if I had the opportunity to play WH at all.
Me neither. It's too easy to loose bespoke dice or special cards and then not be able to play properly.

Give me a book of rules and standard dice I can buy in the shops any day. I don't like gimmicks. That's for board games, in my opinion.

But I'll be interested to know how useful Havard thinks the gimmicky stuff is. :)

Re: Warhammer 3rd Ed

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:31 am
by agathokles
I mean, some gimmicks are fine. For example, Deadlands is played using, besides standard dice, also playing cards and fiches. Both are easy to find and replace, and give a lot of colour to the game.
GP

Re: Warhammer 3rd Ed

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:26 pm
by Big Mac
agathokles wrote:I mean, some gimmicks are fine. For example, Deadlands is played using, besides standard dice, also playing cards and fiches. Both are easy to find and replace, and give a lot of colour to the game.
GP
Sure. I like miniatures, for example.

But you can buy them without a tabletop game itself (even if there is a boxed set that bundles them in).

I guess that if there were funky dice and funky cards that had a use outside of Warhammer, and were available separately, I might be OK with that sort of gimmick.

Re: Warhammer 3rd Ed

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:13 am
by Angel Tarragon
Gimmicks can be fun. I thoroughly enjoyed using them in my last face-to-face game. I gave players chits for great role-playing and allowed them to trade them in for equipment and for advantage (roll twice take the better result), also a player could trade one in to auto-crit (roll a natural 20) on any one d20 roll.

Re: Warhammer 3rd Ed

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:22 pm
by Havard
I finally got hold of this giant box.

I originally tried to buy it off someone on Ebay, but he never shipped it to me. Luckily I got my money back from Ebay.

Fortunately, it turned out my local gaming store had a brand new box back in storage.

I honestly don't like the FSG system and I think this is the same system they later used with Star Wars and other games (Genesys)? It comes with these unique dice, cards and all kinds of stuff. The box offers alot of value for the money though with several books included along with counters, cards, dice and everything.

-Havard

Re: Warhammer 3rd Ed

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:38 pm
by shesheyan
Havard wrote:I finally got hold of this giant box.

I originally tried to buy it off someone on Ebay, but he never shipped it to me. Luckily I got my money back from Ebay.

Fortunately, it turned out my local gaming store had a brand new box back in storage.

I honestly don't like the FSG system and I think this is the same system they later used with Star Wars and other games (Genesys)? It comes with these unique dice, cards and all kinds of stuff. The box offers alot of value for the money though with several books included along with counters, cards, dice and everything.

-Havard
I bought WH3e when it came out. I couldn't make heads or tails of how I was supposed to play this game. I retrospect I don't think I gave it a fair chance. It didn't help no one I knew wanted to try it either. They all preferred 2e. Sold the box one year later. I concur it did have a lot of value for the money. I almost bought the new Genesys based on the same system but one of our DMs bought it first. I might buy the 4e of WH. I hate the miniature game with a passion but the setting is fascinating.

Re: Warhammer 3rd Ed

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:55 am
by Sharkbelly
I played it a couple of times. It was okay. The wonky dice system seemed to prevent us from accomplishing much. To be fair, though, I tried Fantasy Flight's Star Wars game some time after that--which has a similar mechanic--and enjoyed that okay...