Humble Bundle

The Old World. On the surface, it is a vast and fertile place, but a shadow hangs over the world, cast by the dark, corrupting hand of Chaos.

Humble Bundle

Postby Ashtagon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:36 pm

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/warhammer-rpg-books

There's a humble bundle live now and for the next 2 weeks (just under). Get $386 worth of RPG books (mostly WFRP 2e) for just $20!
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: Humble Bundle

Postby Havard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:13 pm

That is a pretty sweet deal. 2nd Edition is my favorite edition of Warhammer. :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:41 am

Thanks for sharing that! I've been curious about Warhammer, and at this price, I can check it out. :)
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby agathokles » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:53 pm

I've purchased the lowest tier (just the core book and two or three adventures), as I'm not familiar with the game or setting. It is authored by Chris Pramas (of Freeport and DragonFist fame) and based on the first edition by the team that authored several Mystara books and the AD&D UK series.

The game system seems simple enough. It is a percentile roll under game, not unlike BRP/CoC or Rolemaster. Contrary to those, skills management is much simpler here, as it is based on the main ability scores, which can be improved (skills cannot be improved, on the other hand).
Combat seems deadly enough.
Classes are replaced by templates that are somewhat similar to CoC professions, but simpler. There is some flexibility in progression, which is very fine grained.
The templates themselves are quite flavorful, and mostly tied to the setting.
I still have to read any of the adventures, but the game itself seems quite interesting.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby agathokles » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:32 pm

In the end, I was impressed enough with the Ashes of Middenheim adventure that I purchased the entire collection.
Some more considerations:
  • The corebook is very well done. The system is ingenuous in keeping the numbers within a controlled range (stats can increase, but they are capped by career, and stat increases from different careers are not additive -- you just take the maximum), and simple in being a classic roll under d100, much like BRP/CoC.
  • Character generation is pretty much random, but progression is fully controlled by the player. This makes an interesting challenge in turning the PC from its random origin to the desired results.
  • WFRP was famous for the unbalanced careers. Here a lot of effort is put into generating PCs that are more or less all useful, while keeping the original flavour.
  • The "Ashes of Middenheim" adventure is a bit railroady, but otherwise very good. It matches the style of the old TSR UK works to some extent, and I would consider it a very good choice for a beginner DM -- a lot of care is taken in explaining which skills can be used in each scene, as well as providing multiple options for the progression of the adventure.
  • The style is dark fantasy, rather distinctive. Still, adapting the adventures to other settings is not terribly difficult, provided you can find evil cults to take the Chaos Gods' place.
  • Gazetteer-style supplements are well done, providing typically a good overview with a lot of detail, new careers, new monsters, and an adventure.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Sharkbelly » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:03 pm

I picked up the collection as well. I owned a few of them in print, but just couldn't keep up!
Sharkbelly
Hobgoblin

Postby Boneguard » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:06 am

Skaven, 'nuff said :)
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Return to Warhammer