[WHFRP4E] advantage mechanic

The Old World. On the surface, it is a vast and fertile place, but a shadow hangs over the world, cast by the dark, corrupting hand of Chaos.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[WHFRP4E] advantage mechanic

Post by Havard » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:23 pm

I tried out Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition last night.

Can someone explain the advantage mechanic to me? It was a little confusing.

Also, I saw an optional rule saying you could put a cap on advantage or limit it to your initiative stat. How do people feel about those options? We ended up with super high advantage bonuses at certain points and things got pretty wild, but I suppose that can be fun too.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sharkbelly
Bugbear

Re: [WHFRP4E] advantage mechanic

Post by Sharkbelly » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:48 pm

That's interesting... advantage is also a mechanic in 5th ed. D&D, but I've never heard of it for Warhammer.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:03 pm

The advantage mechanic in WHFRP 4th Ed is a very different thing than its 5E equivalent. In Warhammer it has more to do with combat. Every time a character wins a contest in combat (attack or defense) he gains a +10 bonus. These bonuses stack up and last untill the character fails a roll or to the end of the combat.

Note: I don't own any of the rulebooks. We played the game once and everyone at the table were new to this edition. This is how I understand the rules based on how they were explained to me.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Darkanth
Bugbear

Post by Darkanth » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:54 pm

The Advantage mechanic is a little controversial for a lot of folks over on the fb 4e page. Several have already stated that they intend to have a cap, as it is very difficult to keep abreast of who has it, and how much they have. One individual stated their intent to change from +10 to +1 per Advantage! So yes, it can get a little confusing and most GM's will start house ruling fairly quickly.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:29 am

Darkanth wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:54 pm
The Advantage mechanic is a little controversial for a lot of folks over on the fb 4e page. Several have already stated that they intend to have a cap, as it is very difficult to keep abreast of who has it, and how much they have. One individual stated their intent to change from +10 to +1 per Advantage! So yes, it can get a little confusing and most GM's will start house ruling fairly quickly.
I can understand that. I was only a player and it was a pretty simple session with just a few combat encounters, but it must have been much worse for the GM to keep track of things. We used dice to represent the bonus. +1 per advantage seems really low again though.

Perhaps changing it to a static number could make things more easy to keep track of?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Darkanth
Bugbear

Post by Darkanth » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Havard wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:29 am
Darkanth wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:54 pm
I can understand that. I was only a player and it was a pretty simple session with just a few combat encounters, but it must have been much worse for the GM to keep track of things. We used dice to represent the bonus. +1 per advantage seems really low again though.

Perhaps changing it to a static number could make things more easy to keep track of?

-Havard
I suspect that anyone who's played 2e will make it a +5 bonus, as that was the usual increment used there iirc.

Return to “Warhammer”