North America of Gothic Earth

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all." — Edgar Allan Poe
The Book-House: Find Masque of the Red Death products.

North America of Gothic Earth

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:35 am

How much is known about North America in MotRD? In many ways the Western Genre and the Victorian Genre are quite different even though they take place roughly at the same time in history. How would European Victorian characters find themselves at east in the Wild West? How would you combine the Old West with the Gothic horror genre? Do you think players will be disappointed by wanting to create western heroes and finding that this is in fact a horror game?

What movies and books successfully convey the atmosphere we might be looking for here?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: North America of Gothic Earth

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:19 am

Havard wrote:How would you combine the Old West with the Gothic horror genre?

For examples of weird west in literary, movies and tv shows, Wikipedia has a full list of recommendations.

Deadlands first and foremost comes to mind.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:33 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Havard wrote:How would you combine the Old West with the Gothic horror genre?

For examples of weird west in literary, movies and tv shows, Wikipedia has a full list of recommendations.

Deadlands first and foremost comes to mind.

Thanks! I don't know if "Weird West" is a good model for North America if one wants to stay true to the core ideas of MotRD though? If you are open to tinkering with the world, then I am sure it would be fun to bring MotRD into full steam punk mode, but I am also thinking about a purely horror based old west.

Deadlands, I am sure could be useful though. Also, possibly WoD's old Werewolf the Wild West as well as Northern Star, if only for a d20 representation of North America.

I wonder though if Victorian ideals and the ideals of the Old West could ever be combined without complete disaster for a campaign? :D

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:02 am

If one wants to use D20 Modern, they can supplement that with D20 Past. In addition Grim Tales has a variant for Gritty Magic that would be entirely acceptable for use in a MotRD game. It would be easy to tack on the rules from D20 Ravenloft/MotRD to the Grim Tales spell-casting system. Alternately one could run easily run MotRD using Grim Tales exclusively as it is a variant on D20 Modern and adds in class tropes of 3E as talent trees. Also of note is Sidewinder: Recoiled. If you are going to use either/or-both D20 Modern and Grim Tales, Sidewinder: Recoiled is a must as it adapt Western role-playing to the D20 Modern rules-set.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:06 am

Also, if one wants to use 3E or Pathfinder exclusively, I would heartily recommend picking up Nothern Crown (it can be bought as Print-On-Demand for Pathfinder through any of the One Bookshelf sites; drivethrurpg.com, etc.) There are some classes in it that I believe would be would be beneficial for Gothic/Colonial/Victorian/Western role-playing as well as some races and prestige classes that add some flair....I think I just talked myself into re-buying it.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby The Dark » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:29 am

Dragon #240 had an article titled "Mysterious Cities" that covered locations on each continent. North America got Chicago, Montreal, and Sitka. Each has sections on History and Forbidden Lore.

The Athlete kit from Dragon #215's "Putting on a New Masque" has baseball players as a sub-kit (as well as tennis, soccer, and hockey), and name-drops Christy Mathewson and Honus Wagner.

Annual #2 (1997) has "Villains of Gothic Earth," which includes a jermlaine elder in northern Appalachia, a githyanki necromancer in Boston, a clan of sahuagin at the entrance to Chesapeake Bay, and an odem in Sitka.
The Dark
Troll

Return to Masque of the Red Death