Spell suppression on Gothic Earth

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all." — Edgar Allan Poe
The Book-House: Find Masque of the Red Death products.
sam
Gnoll

Spell suppression on Gothic Earth

Post by sam » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:59 am

I know that some of the spell effects have been changed in MotRD,and casting spell on the Gothic Earth is a difficult and dangerous act.But if an high-level cross-worlds team arrives at the Gothic Earth,should they receive suppression? From the view of the DM,should I tell them that your actions will lead to a series of dangerous butterfly effects, that will kill you, even if you are strong?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Spell suppression on Gothic Earth

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:20 am

That is a good question. The biggest problem with casting spells on Gothic Earth is that it draws the attention of the Red Death. I would say casting spells from outside the Gothic Earth counts as casting necromancy or evil spells when making a Power Check. Outsiders will be subject to these effects from the start. The Red Death may be especially curious about such visitors given how rare they are.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Darkanth
Bugbear

Post by Darkanth » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:28 pm

I wouldn't be inclined to tell them anything personally. Their character may have some inkling that something feels 'off' with their magic, but unless theCharacter has been to Gothic Earth before, or knows a Magic-User that has, but I wouldn't tell them anything else until their first Powers Check. That's just me, it all depends on how much warning you give them about such things.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:58 pm

I've not heard of this spell suppression before.

Havard said there was a Dragon article that connected MotRD to the Historical Reference books. I don't recall those books sharing the same spell suppression rules.

Is this rule something that kicked in at some point, with some sort of event? Or does the Masque of the Red Death expect the Gothic Earth to have always been like this?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Darkanth
Bugbear

Post by Darkanth » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:09 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:58 pm
I've not heard of this spell suppression before.
I think suppression is probably not the right word to use. Corruption might be a better one, as that's what the Red Death has done to Magic on Gothic Earth.
Havard wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:20 am
That is a good question. The biggest problem with casting spells on Gothic Earth is that it draws the attention of the Red Death. I would say casting spells from outside the Gothic Earth counts as casting necromancy or evil spells when making a Power Check. Outsiders will be subject to these effects from the start. The Red Death may be especially curious about such visitors given how rare they are.

-Havard
It's also a Proficiency Test to cast spells in MotRD, which is an addition to normal Ravenloft rules iirc. I'd be inclined to penalise that for Outsiders as well as possibly increasing the chance of being.............noticed :shock: :o

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:31 am

Yes, corruption, as Darkanth said.Because in the Magic chapter of the Masque of the Red Death and Other Tales,they made some rules to show that casting spell is a "dangerous" act on the Gothic Earth,they use a list to illustrate changes of spell effects, and Magic Missile even "does not exist on Gothic Earth".So I am thinking if the same rules apply to outsiders;Or the Red Death will be more excited,because they are outsiders.

Darkanth
Bugbear

Post by Darkanth » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:33 pm

sam wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:31 am
Yes, corruption, as Darkanth said.Because in the Magic chapter of the Masque of the Red Death and Other Tales,they made some rules to show that casting spell is a "dangerous" act on the Gothic Earth,they use a list to illustrate changes of spell effects, and Magic Missile even "does not exist on Gothic Earth".So I am thinking if the same rules apply to outsiders;Or the Red Death will be more excited,because they are outsiders.
An excited Red death *Shudders* Now there's an image you can't get out of your mind!
Are these outsiders or Outsiders? i.e. are they NPC's/PC's from another prime material, or actual Outsiders such as Demons or other Planar denizens?
If the former, I'd be inclined to say that the attempt either fails automatically or has a random effect such as a Wild Magic surge the first time only. After which the effect is simply not possible to replicate. On top of which I would double the spells chances of being noticed. As for Outsiders proper, they would almost certainly become the focus of intense scrutiny from the Red Death the first time they tried to cast a single spell, irrespective of its success or failure. Further attempts to cast unknown spells should either fail outright or use the Wild Magic idea and have a major chance of invoking a Powers Check. Just my thoughts.

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:36 am

Darkanth wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:33 pm
An excited Red death *Shudders* Now there's an image you can't get out of your mind!
Are these outsiders or Outsiders? i.e. are they NPC's/PC's from another prime material, or actual Outsiders such as Demons or other Planar denizens?
If the former, I'd be inclined to say that the attempt either fails automatically or has a random effect such as a Wild Magic surge the first time only. After which the effect is simply not possible to replicate. On top of which I would double the spells chances of being noticed. As for Outsiders proper, they would almost certainly become the focus of intense scrutiny from the Red Death the first time they tried to cast a single spell, irrespective of its success or failure. Further attempts to cast unknown spells should either fail outright or use the Wild Magic idea and have a major chance of invoking a Powers Check. Just my thoughts.
A cross-worlds team,members from different prime worlds.My theory is that each spell cast has a random effect,wizard/priest can guide magical energy from other planes or call their faith objects,but these forces will deteriorate after coming to Gothic Earth.At the same time, if the character casts,he will be highlighted by Red Death,then almost all the evil minions will gather and try to destroy him.Because this act is "lighting up" the Gothic Earth in the big universe,some of the more dangerous things may notice this.

Darkanth
Bugbear

Post by Darkanth » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:39 pm

sam wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:36 am
A cross-worlds team,members from different prime worlds.My theory is that each spell cast has a random effect,wizard/priest can guide magical energy from other planes or call their faith objects,but these forces will deteriorate after coming to Gothic Earth.At the same time, if the character casts,he will be highlighted by Red Death,then almost all the evil minions will gather and try to destroy him.Because this act is "lighting up" the Gothic Earth in the big universe,some of the more dangerous things may notice this.
That sounds doable. Spell casting by such characters should be like lighting the Beacons.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:27 pm

sam wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:36 am
I would have thought that priests would have the same sort of problems connecting up with their deities, as they do in a Spelljammer game.

It might even be worth giving them the Contact Home Power spell (from Spelljammer) as a way to gain temporary access to high-level spells.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Masque of the Red Death”