[MotRD]What kind of monsters fit for Gothic Earth?

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all." — Edgar Allan Poe
The Book-House: Find Masque of the Red Death products.
sam
Gnoll

[MotRD]What kind of monsters fit for Gothic Earth?

Post by sam » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Unfortunately, MotRD does not have its own Monstrous Compendium Gothic Earth Appendix. I always think GE is very much room for expansion, you can use it to lead to more literary monsters and more horror legends of "localization" style.

So......what kind of monsters do you think is in line with Gothic Earth style ? If I design it, I will choose: Krampus, the christmas demon; Yara-Ma-Yha-Who(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yara-ma-yha-who), from the myth of Australia.Of course, and Bloody Mary. :D

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: [MotRD]What kind of monsters fit for Gothic Earth?

Post by agathokles » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:33 pm

Obviously, all those that originate from RW myths are fine. Most of them already appear in the standard MM or Ravenloft MCA, though.

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Isn't the only monster in the story The Red Death itself?

I went looking for a Masque of the Red Death Wiki, to see if there were mentions of any creatures that could be statted out, but could not find anything.

Perhaps you could search through the other works of Edgar Allan Poe to make a list of creatures that appear in his stories.

Encyclopedia Britannica has an article called: 8 Creepy Critters in the Work of Edgar Allan Poe
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:40 pm

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:48 pm

Big Mac wrote:Isn't the only monster in the story The Red Death itself?

I went looking for a Masque of the Red Death Wiki, to see if there were mentions of any creatures that could be statted out, but could not find anything.

Perhaps you could search through the other works of Edgar Allan Poe to make a list of creatures that appear in his stories.

Encyclopedia Britannica has an article called: 8 Creepy Critters in the Work of Edgar Allan Poe

The story is only vaguely related with the RPG setting.

GP

Bloodsucker
Goblin

Post by Bloodsucker » Mon May 07, 2018 12:45 am

I use all the normal and giant animals, all the were-creatures, most of the undead (although, I avoid level suckers). Dinosaurs and Pleistocene mega-fauna can be used in a Hollow Earth search or a wild west one-shot. If you can think of a reason nearly any critter can be used, I mean that one Dungeon adventure has an Ettin in a sideshow.

Return to “Masque of the Red Death”