[MotRD] Introducing Steam Punk Elements to the Gothic Earth?

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all." — Edgar Allan Poe
The Book-House: Find Masque of the Red Death products.

[MotRD] Introducing Steam Punk Elements to the Gothic Earth?

Postby Havard » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:34 pm

How would you feel about introducing Steam Tech or other Steam Punk elements to the Masque of the Red Death setting? What sort of things do you think could work well with the setting, if any? What RPG resources would be useful if you were to use such elements in the setting? Any edition or even non-D&D resource suggestions would be helpful!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [MotRD] Introducing Steam Punk Elements to the Gothic Ea

Postby BPIJonathan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:56 pm

It wouldnt be that difficult. Use a version of the Scientist Kit to become an inventor type character. I think I have some OSR material that could be useful as reference, let me look around see what I can come up with. :D
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Postby Havard » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:34 pm

BPIJonathan wrote:It wouldnt be that difficult. Use a version of the Scientist Kit to become an inventor type character. I think I have some OSR material that could be useful as reference, let me look around see what I can come up with. :D

That is a good idea. I don't know how much Steam Punk can be added without completely altering the setting though? I guess turning the campaign into something similar to The Order: 1886 could be alot of fun and still retain an element of gothic horror. I'm interested in seeing what material you can recommend! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby The Dark » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:25 am

Other RPGs that could provide inspiration are Victoriana, Space: 1889, Airship Pirates, and Castle Falkenstein (R. Tal doesn't currently have the core rules available for sale, so I linked to the GURPS version instead). For inventions and such, S:1889 has a bunch, as does Northern Crown's natural philosopher class.
The Dark
Troll

Postby BPIJonathan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:28 am

Im heading out of town for a family thing, but I will be back in a week. After GenCon, I may end up writing you something like this, just busy until then. You might have it taken care of by then also.

Havard wrote:
BPIJonathan wrote:It wouldnt be that difficult. Use a version of the Scientist Kit to become an inventor type character. I think I have some OSR material that could be useful as reference, let me look around see what I can come up with. :D

That is a good idea. I don't know how much Steam Punk can be added without completely altering the setting though? I guess turning the campaign into something similar to The Order: 1886 could be alot of fun and still retain an element of gothic horror. I'm interested in seeing what material you can recommend! :)

-Havard
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Return to Masque of the Red Death