[MotRD] Vampire Bloodlines

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all." — Edgar Allan Poe
The Book-House: Find Masque of the Red Death products.

[MotRD] Vampire Bloodlines

Postby Havard » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:24 pm

What Vampire bloodlines are known in Gothic Earth? Dracula (Vlad Tepes) is mentioned in Ravenloft: A Guide to Transylvania. In this thread I mentioned a little known US based Vampire named Jim Franklin (Not canonically tied to Gothic Earth).

What other Vampires and Vampiric bloodlines would be around in this world?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
 
Posts: 17294
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Location: Norway

Re: [MotRD] Vampire Bloodlines

Postby agathokles » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:22 pm

I think all the vampires from period literature could be available, and possibly many from other sources.
The Night's Black Agents game from Pelgrane Press has an excellent overview of vampires in folklore and literature, although statistics would need to be converted.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon
 
Posts: 6595
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 6:42 pm
Location: Milan, Italy

Re: [MotRD] Vampire Bloodlines

Postby willpell » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:35 pm

Sheridan LeFanu's Carmilla far predates Dracula.
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2601
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: [MotRD] Vampire Bloodlines

Postby Havard » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:49 pm

willpell wrote:Sheridan LeFanu's Carmilla far predates Dracula.


That is true for the work itself. I think both Carmilla and Dracula could easily exist on Gothic Earth. Is anything known about Carmilla's origins? While the story predates Dracula, it does not necessarily mean that Dracula cannot be the older vampire of the two. Then again we could easily have vampires that are much older than either of them in the setting, especially if we want to include Egyptian, South American or Asian vampires.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
 
Posts: 17294
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Location: Norway

Re: [MotRD] Vampire Bloodlines

Postby willpell » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Havard wrote:
willpell wrote:Sheridan LeFanu's Carmilla far predates Dracula.


That is true for the work itself. I think both Carmilla and Dracula could easily exist on Gothic Earth. Is anything known about Carmilla's origins? While the story predates Dracula, it does not necessarily mean that Dracula cannot be the older vampire of the two. Then again we could easily have vampires that are much older than either of them in the setting, especially if we want to include Egyptian, South American or Asian vampires.

-Havard


This page gives a pretty good rundown of the tale's background. It doesn't look like LeFanu detailed where Carmilla originally came from, but the tale does give a background of her operating under several assumed names, all assembled out of roughly the same syllables. This might just have been lazy writing on LeFanu's part, but it also rhymes nicely with the fact that Vampires are nearly always (pre-Twilight) portrayed as having something resembling severe OCD, and generally a very linear personality; it likely would simply never occur to Carmilla to call herself "Josephine" or "Sarah" in order to make her trail harder to follow, as she subconsciously thinks of having a name full of C's, M's, R's and L's is an essential aspect of her personality, which likely has eroded severely over the centuries, so she clings to whatever parts of it have managed to survive.
User avatar
willpell
White Dragon
 
Posts: 2601
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: [MotRD] Vampire Bloodlines

Postby apotheot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:45 am

[url]https://caesartheday.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/vampires-in-ancient-literature/[quote="Havard"]
This page has some interesting references of vampires in ancient literature. Could easily be used in a MoTRD game.
-Apotheot
apotheot
Ogre
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:19 pm

Re: [MotRD] Vampire Bloodlines

Postby Alzrius » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:10 pm

willpell wrote:This might just have been lazy writing on LeFanu's part, but it also rhymes nicely with the fact that Vampires are nearly always (pre-Twilight) portrayed as having something resembling severe OCD, and generally a very linear personality; it likely would simply never occur to Carmilla to call herself "Josephine" or "Sarah" in order to make her trail harder to follow, as she subconsciously thinks of having a name full of C's, M's, R's and L's is an essential aspect of her personality, which likely has eroded severely over the centuries, so she clings to whatever parts of it have managed to survive.


It's not just that the names sound similar; "Mircalla," "Millarca," and "Carmilla" are all anagrams of each other.
Alzrius
Bugbear
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:55 am

Re: [MotRD] Vampire Bloodlines

Postby apotheot » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:35 am

Alzrius wrote:
willpell wrote:This might just have been lazy writing on LeFanu's part, but it also rhymes nicely with the fact that Vampires are nearly always (pre-Twilight) portrayed as having something resembling severe OCD, and generally a very linear personality; it likely would simply never occur to Carmilla to call herself "Josephine" or "Sarah" in order to make her trail harder to follow, as she subconsciously thinks of having a name full of C's, M's, R's and L's is an essential aspect of her personality, which likely has eroded severely over the centuries, so she clings to whatever parts of it have managed to survive.


It's not just that the names sound similar; "Mircalla," "Millarca," and "Carmilla" are all anagrams of each other.

Also very close to 'Camarilla', of World of Darkness fame.
apotheot
Ogre
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:19 pm


Return to Masque of the Red Death

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest