[Living Death][MotRD] Anyone play Living Death?

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all." — Edgar Allan Poe
The Book-House: Find Masque of the Red Death products.

[Living Death][MotRD] Anyone play Living Death?

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:44 pm

Apotheot mentioned Living Death, over in the [Living City] Anybody play Living City? topic.

I looked it up and Wikipedia's Living Campaigns article says that it ran from 1997-2007. That's a pretty good run.

Mistipedia has a Living Death Category that has 195 articles in it. So it looks like the campaign covered quite a lot of stuff. How many adventures were there? What sort of support documents were made?

Living Death was apparently a Masque of the Red Death campaign (rather than a mainstream Ravenloft campaign). How did that work? Was there a specific year of the Gothic Earth that was chosen for Living Death? Was it limited to a certain area (or areas) of the Gothic Earth?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Living Death][MotRD] Anyone play Living Death?

Postby apotheot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:26 am

Big Mac wrote:How many adventures were there?

Including the interactives (larps) there were 180 official ones. It is possible some may now be lost to the ages.

Big Mac wrote:What sort of support documents were made?

A few different documents were available. More during the changeover from 2nd to 3e. A few of these can still be found if you scour the net.

Big Mac wrote:Living Death was apparently a Masque of the Red Death campaign (rather than a mainstream Ravenloft campaign). How did that work?

I never had a chance to play personally, but from what I understand it worked rather well. Characters were low powered compared to virtually any other setting, with one comment I read that it rivaled the Living Jungle for lack of available magical items.

Big Mac wrote:Was there a specific year of the Gothic Earth that was chosen for Living Death?

The campaign was always intended to be a 10 year game. It started in 1996 set in the year 1890, and ended in 2007 with the year 1899 and the eventual defeat of and banishing of The Red Death. So about 1 year passed in game per real year.

Big Mac wrote:Was it limited to a certain area (or areas) of the Gothic Earth?

Adventures could be set anywhere on Gothic Earth. Some rather interesting recurring locations include Egypt, China, Southern Africa, and the American West.

The campaign was popular enough to survive even after the reorganization of the RPGA in the early 2000's, so that it could end on its terms. The setting coordinators are still around and willing to talk about it a bit if you look.

An unofficial 'sequel' campaign exists and is still somewhat active called Fellowship of the White Star. The campaign is still going at a few cons every year, and I believe it still uses 3.5 ruleset. This sequel game advances the timeline a few years leaving the Victorian era and entering the Edwardian. It utilizes big events from the Living Death Campaign as background, but handwaves past the players or DM's needing to know more about them. It is scheduled to end right around the onset of The Great War.
Here is a link where you can learn more, and purchase most of the adventures.
http://www.fellowshipwhitestar.com/

-Apotheot
apotheot
Ogre

Re: [Living Death][MotRD] Anyone play Living Death?

Postby Alzrius » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:45 pm

There's also been a fan-project to create a Gothic Earth setting that's been advanced to the modern day, called Gothic Earth Eternal. So far there's a setting overview and a netbook of darklords.

Gothic Earth Eternal recognizes the events of Living Death (I don't know if it acknowledges material from Fellowship of the White Star), in that the Red Death was banished, but has it having been summoned once again when a Nazi ritual went wrong during World War II (though this seems to contradict the ending of Living Death, which closed the planar seal behind the Red Death when it was banished specifically so something like this couldn't happen). However, this time the Red Death didn't come alone; now there's a second entity called the Jade Horror, which has gained power over Asia and the surrounding environs. Worse, the two entities seem to be competing somehow, utilizing humanity as pawns as they engage in a sort of cold war against each other.
Alzrius
Bugbear

Return to Masque of the Red Death