Prince Prospero of Transylvania

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all." — Edgar Allan Poe
The Book-House: Find Masque of the Red Death products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Prince Prospero of Transylvania

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:45 pm

The adventure, a Pattern of Evil, included in the Ravenloft: Masque of the Red Death boxed set involves an NPC called Prince Prospero, a relative of Vlad Tepes, but generally a good natured character. In the adventure, it is revealed that he has been trapped for 400 years in a time stasis by Dracula.

Is there any more information about this character anywhere else?

Could he be related to the Wizard Prospero, author of the Poor Wizard's Almanacs from the world of Mystara?

The Ravenloft character is listed as a Soldier (ie Fighter), so it is unlikely that they are the same individual. However it is possible that he could be the son of the the Mystaran wizard? If we go by the theory that Gothic Earth is the same world as Mystara's LaTerre then it is not unheard of characters crossing between the worlds. The original Prospero Hall was destroyed, but it could have been the one constructed by the Wizard.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: Prince Prospero of Transylvania

Post by Sturm » Thu May 03, 2018 2:04 pm

Havard wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:45 pm
Could he be related to the Wizard Prospero, author of the Poor Wizard's Almanacs from the world of Mystara?
Never catched this reference in the PWA, where it is?
I suppose they could be related if you want them to, but probably are both just unrelated and inspired by The Tempest's protagonist (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospero). But in the adventure he is a vampire or not?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu May 03, 2018 5:24 pm

I think the in setting author of the PWA series was revealed in the Joshuan Alamanac.

In the adventure from the Masque of the Red Death boxed set, Prospero is not a Vampire, but he is mentioned as being related to Vlad Tepes. Prospero is still around in the 1890s setting due to magical means.

One idea could be that the Mystaran character Prospero is the father of the Prospero from the MotRD adventure. This would make even more sense if the Gothic Earth and LaTerre is the same world, though it does not have to be.

I thought about the Tempest a well, and it could add even yet another layer to the character Prospero from Mystara?

Note: I am not saying the connection is intentional by the designers, but it is a cool coincidence that we could use if we want more connections between Mystara, Gothic Earth and LaTerre.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri May 04, 2018 9:58 am

Indeed Prospero is in the Preface of Joshuan's Almanac, I've certainly read it in the past but completely forgot about it.
It is described as a tall Thyatian wizard of dark complexion, named Rikard Prospero, and he is financed by Joshuan to become an almanac correspondent. He is not listed as a Joshuan's Almanac correspondent but fans (probably Jacob Skytte http://pandius.com/rulers.html) remembered him and made him a correspondent from the Savage Coast in the 1014 and following almanacs.
It is also indicated he had a mysterious contact in the Hollow World, somehow. Maybe a friend of Claransa?
Prospero Duke of Milan of the Tempest is a first name, not a surname. What about the character in Masque of the Red Death?
This thread should also be linked in the Mystara forum as it is relevant.

Dragon Turtle
Initiate

Post by Dragon Turtle » Sat May 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Sturm wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:58 am
This thread should also be linked in the Mystara forum as it is relevant.
Done. :)

-DT
This is Havard's Alternate Account
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat May 05, 2018 3:16 pm

Sturm wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:58 am
Indeed Prospero is in the Preface of Joshuan's Almanac, I've certainly read it in the past but completely forgot about it.
It is described as a tall Thyatian wizard of dark complexion, named Rikard Prospero, and he is financed by Joshuan to become an almanac correspondent. He is not listed as a Joshuan's Almanac correspondent but fans (probably Jacob Skytte http://pandius.com/rulers.html) remembered him and made him a correspondent from the Savage Coast in the 1014 and following almanacs.
Thanks for reminding me of Rikard Prospero's full name. I do remember him being a correspondent in the Fan Almanacs.

It is also indicated he had a mysterious contact in the Hollow World, somehow. Maybe a friend of Claransa?
That is a good idea!

Prospero Duke of Milan of the Tempest is a first name, not a surname. What about the character in Masque of the Red Death?
In the adventure, the character is simply referred to as Prince Prospero. His great Hall is also called Prospero Hall. My guess is that it is probably a first name, but I think it would give us some leeway. If we want all three to be linked, perhaps Rikard Prospero simply went by Prospero after he moved to LaTerre? Remember that my suggestion is to make the Ravenloft character the son or grandson of the Mystara character.

Linking the character from Ravenloft with the character from Shakespeare's The Tempest seems very likely even though the adventure states that Prince Prospero grew up in the hills of Rumania where he was born in 1472. There are several ways to get around this if we wanted to. Shaespeare's play may not need to be 100% accurate in Gothic Earth. Or the Prince could have had an interesting and very complex backstory.

But I much prefer linking Rikard Prospero from Mystara to the Tempest character since both are said to be magic users, while the Ravenloft character is statted as a Soldier from that ruleset.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon May 07, 2018 9:03 am

Havard wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 3:16 pm
But I much prefer linking Rikard Prospero from Mystara to the Tempest character since both are said to be magic users, while the Ravenloft character is statted as a Soldier from that ruleset.
Yes indeed this is very interesting. You could either place The Tempest in Mystara or just assume Prospero is from LaTerra. Personally I's prefer the first option also to use Caliban and Ariel in Mystara, but both are viable indeed.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon May 07, 2018 10:26 pm

Sturm wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:03 am
Havard wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 3:16 pm
Yes indeed this is very interesting. You could either place The Tempest in Mystara or just assume Prospero is from LaTerra. Personally I's prefer the first option also to use Caliban and Ariel in Mystara, but both are viable indeed.
I think placing the main events/locations of The Tempest on Mystara is a great suggestion! At least the Island itself could be on Mystara, while the various nobles involved could be from LaTerre. I could see Ariel being a Sprite. Not quite sure about Caliban?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue May 08, 2018 8:53 am

Well Caliban is described as son of a witch and a devil, that would make him a tiefling. Originally he was just comic relief, but with some poetic lines which made him also malinconic. He was interpreted by other poets as the oppressed native. In Ilium by Dan Simmons is a true cannibal monster.
He has also been viewed and represented as a sort of Frankenstein monster.
It is an albino mutant in Marvel comics.
Basically you can make him anything you want to :)

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon May 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Read it accidentally something I had forgotten, Prince Prospero is indeed the protagonist of the Masque of the Red Death original story by Edgar Allan Poe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Masqu ... _Red_Death, so I guess the relative of Vlad comes from there, while possibly the Mystara Prospero came from Shakespeare.
Possibly Poe took the name from Shakespeare, but anyway Prospero is also an italian name of two saints, the original one a martyr during the late roman empire. The name is hardly common nowadays, but maybe it could have been relatively common at the time of Shakespeare and even later.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Sturm wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:02 pm
Read it accidentally something I had forgotten, Prince Prospero is indeed the protagonist of the Masque of the Red Death original story by Edgar Allan Poe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Masqu ... _Red_Death, so I guess the relative of Vlad comes from there, while possibly the Mystara Prospero came from Shakespeare.
Possibly Poe took the name from Shakespeare, but anyway Prospero is also an italian name of two saints, the original one a martyr during the late roman empire. The name is hardly common nowadays, but maybe it could have been relatively common at the time of Shakespeare and even later.
Nice catch! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Masque of the Red Death”