[DMs Guild] The Ghostly Library: A Ravenloft Gothic Earth Adventure

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all." — Edgar Allan Poe
The Book-House: Find Masque of the Red Death products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[DMs Guild] The Ghostly Library: A Ravenloft Gothic Earth Adventure

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:40 pm

There is something called: The Ghostly Library that went up on DMs Guild yesterday:
DMs Guild wrote:The Ghostly Library
From Catherine Evans

Welcome to Gothic Earth.

It's neither our world, nor the Ravenloft you know, but it offers you the best - or worst - of both. Roughly parallel to our Earth in the mid to late 19th century, if every lurking terror conceived of by Edgar Allan Poe, M.R. James, and H.P. Lovecraft were true, Gothic Earth is a very different way to play D&D.

This adventure is part body horror, part ghost story, and entirely investigative in nature. If your players enjoy a mystery, especially one of a sinister nature, then The Ghostly Library should give them a satisfying session (or two) of roleplaying.
I don't think I've seen a Gothic Earth adventure up on DMs Guild before.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Re: [DMs Guild] The Ghostly Library: A Ravenloft Gothic Earth Adventure

Post by Digitalelf » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:41 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:40 pm
I don't think I've seen a Gothic Earth adventure up on DMs Guild before.
Cliffhanger Abby (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/282801 ... liffhanger) is a Gothic Earth adventure.
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:37 pm

Nice to see Gothic Earth get some DMsGuild support!

How are they handling things rules-wise?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:11 pm

Both adventures make Gothic Earth its own Demiplane within the standard 5th edition cosmology.

Thusly, both adventures just use the standard character classes. The Ghost Library at least suggests altering the archetypes:
The Ghost Library wrote:Gothic Earth attempts to evoke a Victorian, gothic horror feel, but no classes or subclasses are restricted. Instead, consider reflavouring classes that may seem jarring to fit the aesthetic your campaign is going for. For instance, your Drunken Master monk, instead of being
influenced by eastern tropes, might instead be a drunken sailor with a sore head and enough dumb luck to fool the devil.
And both adventures amend the spell lists (by removing certain spells), making them unavailable even to casters that have them written down or even memorized prior to appearing within Gothic Earth.
Last edited by Digitalelf on Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:32 pm

Digitalelf wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:11 pm
Both adventures make Gothic Earth its own Demiplane within the standard 5th edition cosmology.

Thusly, both adventures just use the standard character classes. The Ghost Library at least suggests altering the archetypes:
The Ghost Library wrote:Gothic Earth attempts to evoke a Victorian, gothic horror feel, but no classes or subclasses are restricted. Instead, consider reflavouring classes that may seem jarring to fit the aesthetic your campaign is going for. For instance, your Drunken Master monk, instead of being
influenced by eastern tropes, might instead be a drunken sailor with a sore head and enough dumb luck to fool the devil.
And both adventures amend the spell lists (by removing certain spells), making them unavailable even to casters that have them written down or even memorized prior to appearing within Gothic Earth.
I guess that is a fairly quick way of doing it. I think additional rules for MotRD characters, especially backgrounds could add a lot of flavor to the game though even if sticking to the core of 5E.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:39 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:32 pm
I guess that is a fairly quick way of doing it. I think additional rules for MotRD characters, especially backgrounds could add a lot of flavor to the game though even if sticking to the core of 5E.
It is a quick way of doing things, but I think much would be lost in the feel of MotRD.

I'm not familiar enough with 5th edition... Are there rules for designing new classes?

I suppose that the classes of MotRD could be mimicked with the use of archetypes, but that is just an uninformed guess on my part.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:05 pm

Digitalelf wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:39 pm
Havard wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:32 pm
It is a quick way of doing things, but I think much would be lost in the feel of MotRD.

I'm not familiar enough with 5th edition... Are there rules for designing new classes?

I suppose that the classes of MotRD could be mimicked with the use of archetypes, but that is just an uninformed guess on my part.
I believe the 5E DMG has guidelines for creating new classes.

The biggest challenge with using 5E classes in MotRD is IMHO that almost every 5E class gets access to spells or magic-like abilities. But I think you could just accept those changes to the setting and move on.

The other thing 5E does that I think might be worth looking at is that 5E introduces a new layer of character generation. In addition to class and race, you also have Backgrounds.

I think almost every 5E background from the PHB could work in MotRD, but it might be worth making minor changes to them. I also think you could introduce many of the MotRD classes and Kits as Backgrounds.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:01 am

I don't know why it took me this long to notice this, but very cool! Will be reading this over the weekend.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Return to “Masque of the Red Death”