[MotRD] Masque of the Red Death for D20 Modern?

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all." — Edgar Allan Poe
The Book-House: Find Masque of the Red Death products.

[MotRD] Masque of the Red Death for D20 Modern?

Postby Havard » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:30 pm

Masque of the Red Death, the Victorian Era setting for Ravenloft just popped up over at a discussion on DF. I am surprised WotC didnt bring over the Gothic Earth setting for D20 Modern. Has anyone here experiemented with something like this?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [MotRD] Masque of the Red Death for D20 Modern?

Postby Cthulhudrew » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:33 am

I'm not that familiar with Masque of the Red Death (IIRC, isn't it kind of Ravenloft set in the Real World?), but it seems to me that the d20 Past "Shadow Stalkers" campaign is kind of along the lines you're thinking of.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:55 pm

As a followup to this, I reread the Shadow Stalkers info from d20 Past, and it does seem to fit with the Masque of the Red Death setting as I understand it. I may have to try and check out MotRD source information to see how well it would fit.

On another note, I'm kind of getting a jones to make up some kind of Averoigne d20 Past setting supplement. I've always wanted to do something more with that setting, and now... hmm.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Bonetti » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:32 pm

The Masque of Red Death is 1890s Ravenloft in a Victorian-era Earth where the gothic horror novels are non-fiction. I never had a chance to run it, but it looked promising at the time.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Havard » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:48 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:As a followup to this, I reread the Shadow Stalkers info from d20 Past, and it does seem to fit with the Masque of the Red Death setting as I understand it. I may have to try and check out MotRD source information to see how well it would fit.

I have D20 Past, so I will read up on this.

MotRD is basically late 1800s Gothic Earth. The main link to Ravenloft is that its a horror setting really. There's also a metaplot of sorts, but I dont remember all the details right now.

On another note, I'm kind of getting a jones to make up some kind of Averoigne d20 Past setting supplement. I've always wanted to do something more with that setting, and now... hmm.

Interesting...

You know I never cared all that much for the Averoigne=Ravenloft idea untill now. Now that you mention Gothic Earth its a different story than standard Ravenloft...

When would this be set?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby maddog » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:56 pm

Havard wrote:You know I never cared all that much for the Averoigne=Ravenloft idea untill now.

I wish I had thought of this when we played through Castle Amber recently. That would have fleshed out Averoigne in a very interesting and twisted way.
--Ray.
---
Hey! I just became a stone giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.
maddog
Frost Giant

Postby Cthulhudrew » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:26 am

Havard wrote:MotRD is basically late 1800s Gothic Earth. The main link to Ravenloft is that its a horror setting really. There's also a metaplot of sorts, but I dont remember all the details right now.

Gotcha. Thought I remembered that the "Red Death" was a quasi-intelligent malevolent entity somewhat akin to the Dark Powers.

You know I never cared all that much for the Averoigne=Ravenloft idea untill now. Now that you mention Gothic Earth its a different story than standard Ravenloft...

When would this be set?

That's a good question. The original stories were kind of all over the place, though mostly c.1200-1400. I'd probably try to find the date that most of the stories are closest to, and work from there. Several of them don't have dates, and so can easily be fit wherever. I have a complete listing of a timeline somewhere.

Also, given that at least one story (The Holiness of Azedarac) involves potions of time travel, there could be some leeway to work other elements of the setting into place. (Not to mention portals to the world of the faeries and such).
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:49 am

Apparently, there was a d20 version of Masque of the Red Death released by the same guys who put out the 3E Ravenloft materials. It wouldn't be too hard to convert to d20 Modern from that, I'd guess.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Havard » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:36 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Apparently, there was a d20 version of Masque of the Red Death released by the same guys who put out the 3E Ravenloft materials. It wouldn't be too hard to convert to d20 Modern from that, I'd guess.

Uhm, I think I have that one actually :oops:

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:06 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Havard wrote:MotRD is basically late 1800s Gothic Earth. The main link to Ravenloft is that its a horror setting really. There's also a metaplot of sorts, but I dont remember all the details right now.

Gotcha. Thought I remembered that the "Red Death" was a quasi-intelligent malevolent entity somewhat akin to the Dark Powers.

Yeah, that seems to be correct. :)

When would this be set?

That's a good question. The original stories were kind of all over the place, though mostly c.1200-1400. I'd probably try to find the date that most of the stories are closest to, and work from there. Several of them don't have dates, and so can easily be fit wherever. I have a complete listing of a timeline somewhere.

Also, given that at least one story (The Holiness of Azedarac) involves potions of time travel, there could be some leeway to work other elements of the setting into place. (Not to mention portals to the world of the faeries and such).

I would be very interested in this!

I was toying around with a timeline the other day, trying to include things like Hyperborea and Poseidonis and maybe even Zothique as well. I made AC728=1328 (Arrival of Etienne in Glantri), to make things easy math-wise. That would mean AC1000=AD1600. Maybe Averoigne D20Modern could be set in 1600AD?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Belathauzer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:01 pm

I personally like the idea of setting Averoigne in Gothic Earth. Since Gothic Earth is already a departure from "Real Earth", why not just alter the real province of Auvergne to Averoigne? And since Clark Ashton Smith was both a contemporary of, and part of the Lovecraft Circle, it's only natural to want to include HPL, REH, and the rest of the Circle. Combined with existing material in the Gothic Earth setting, plus drawing on the multitude of Victorian era works, one can create a fantastic mega-setting similar in nature to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but with emphasis on horror and the macabre. And just like with any game setting - use what you want, leave out what you don't like, add things you like that aren't present, mix well, and viola! - you have your own Gothic Earth.

The good part about using Gothic Earth & MotRD as your foundation, is that ties to Ravenloft, and by association the rest of the D&D multi-verse, are already established; which means you can travel to/from each of these settings using whatever means you wish. Plus, I always thought the idea of the Red Death as a malevolent force was pretty cool; almost like the forces released from the Necronomicon in the Evil Dead movies. It gives the DM/GM lots of leverage in the game if he can just decide that people are going to become possessed or undead things are going to rise up to get the PCs, and then he can just blame it on the Red Death - hehehe. :twisted:

If you wanted to, you could also assume the meta-setting format used by GURPs Infinite Worlds, and say that Real Earth, Gothic Earth, and Mystara are all "earths", but in different quanta (Mystara is technically based on a map of primordial earth). By doing so, you can say that the d'Ambervilles didn't have to travel so far to get to Mystara, metaphysically speaking. By going with the infinite worlds/quanta topology, each "earth" can be experiencing a different "present" time, and time can be moving at a different rate from earth to earth; hence you don't have to worry about 1:1 ratio necessarily when determining years. You can say that AC1000 M (Mystara time) = 1890AD GE (Gothic Earth) so both settings are experiencing their "present", but AC728 doesn't necessarily have to correspond to 1618AD. You can say its 1328AD (or whatever) and time is moving nearly twice as fast on Gothic Earth.

But now I'm digressing from the original topic and getting too cerebral. Do what you like, but I personally like mixing it all up. We've only got so much time for gaming, so we may as well make the best of it.
-- Long live Mystara!
Belathauzer
Ogre

Postby Darkanth » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:43 pm

Belathauzer wrote:The good part about using Gothic Earth & MotRD as your foundation, is that ties to Ravenloft, and by association the rest of the D&D multi-verse, are already established; which means you can travel to/from each of these settings using whatever means you wish.

From MoTRD d20

Planar Travel
After the entrance of the Red Death into this world, Gothic Earth has been locked away from all other planes of existence, rotting slowly in the cradle of the Prime Material plane. Travel to Gothic Earth is the ultimate sort of one-way trip: while
other creatures may occasionally find their way to this plane from the other planes, as a rule no magic of mortal or monster allows for anything to escape this realm. This is not a warning, it is a fact — no spell that allows creatures to travel to another plane of existence functions on Gothic Earth. Period. The only exception is the Border Ethereal, which may be reached by use of certain spells; however, characters cannot penetrate deeper into the Ethereal plane, and may exit only back onto Gothic Earth no matter where they began or how powerful they might be.

All depends on whether you want to use Canon or not. I'm looking at a MoTRD/Space: 1889 mix myself. ;)
Darkanth
Bugbear

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:13 pm

I think a kitbash of Cthulhu D20 & MotRD would be the way I would run a MotRD game.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:55 pm

Yeah, I think the Red Death is a good match for Nyarlathotep. They even put his entry into the world in ancient Egypt, further connecting him to the Black Pharoah. Probably the only reason they raided Poe rather than Lovecraft was worries about Chaosium's copyright claims.

Gothic Earth is probably more cut off from other worlds in the 1890s than it was centuries in the past, as the Red Death expanded his influence across the world only slowly. Probably the Americas were largely free of his taint in pre-Columbian times, and it was only in the age of imperialism that his grip solidified over Asia. Before the glory of Rome, even Europe was independent from the curse that grew from Egypt.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Interesting ideas!

Maybe these connections would actually make Red Death even more interestig as a larger setting.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Belathauzer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:56 am

Darkanth wrote:From MoTRD d20
Planar Travel
After the entrance of the Red Death into this world, Gothic Earth has been locked away from all other planes of existence, rotting slowly in the cradle of the Prime Material plane. Travel to Gothic Earth is the ultimate sort of one-way trip: while
other creatures may occasionally find their way to this plane from the other planes, as a rule no magic of mortal or monster allows for anything to escape this realm. This is not a warning, it is a fact — no spell that allows creatures to travel to another plane of existence functions on Gothic Earth. Period. The only exception is the Border Ethereal, which may be reached by use of certain spells; however, characters cannot penetrate deeper into the Ethereal plane, and may exit only back onto Gothic Earth no matter where they began or how powerful they might be.

Hmmm... I seem to recall the original 2nd edition MoTRD having limited planar travel, but I hadn't realized that it was severly limited to a one-way trip inwards in d20. As with any lock, wall, or other security system though, there will always be some flaw that can be exploited. I can see some clever sorcerers (like the d'Amberviles) finding ways around the Red Death's measures, perhaps even tricking (or betraying) it in order to open a gate to elsewhere (Mystara).

I really like the ideas that ripvanwormer put forth too
ripvanwormer wrote:Gothic Earth is probably more cut off from other worlds in the 1890s than it was centuries in the past, as the Red Death expanded his influence across the world only slowly. Probably the Americas were largely free of his taint in pre-Columbian times, and it was only in the age of imperialism that his grip solidified over Asia. Before the glory of Rome, even Europe was independent from the curse that grew from Egypt.

I can definitely see the Red Death being played this way; a malevolent entity that becomes more powerful over time. Almost like The Blob, growing as it consumes more matter, but in this case the Red Death becomes more powerful as it corrupts. I like the Nyarlathotep parallels too. This is a good way to add Lovecraftian elements to the setting.
Darkanth wrote:All depends on whether you want to use Canon or not. I'm looking at a MoTRD/Space: 1889 mix myself. ;)

Nice. Blending Victorian horror with Victorian sci-fi is a natural (and works pretty well for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). Have you considered adding a dash of Castle Falkenstein to mix some Victorian Fantasy in and complete the Victorian Fiction Trifecta? Maybe even Deadlands for some Western flair?
-- Long live Mystara!
Belathauzer
Ogre

Postby Darkanth » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:05 pm

Blending Victorian horror with Victorian sci-fi is a natural (and works pretty well for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). Have you considered adding a dash of Castle Falkenstein to mix some Victorian Fantasy in and complete the Victorian Fiction Trifecta? Maybe even Deadlands for some Western flair?

Haven't got Castle Falkenstein for a start! ;) Have got Deadlands as well as pretty much all the Imperial Age Setting stuff from Adamant Entertainment tho. Actually the whole Deadlands/Weird Wars idea whereby death and fear begets monsters is not disimilar to the Red Deaths modus operandi imho.
Darkanth
Bugbear

Return to Masque of the Red Death