[Ixalan] You got D&D in my Ixalan!

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Dragonhelm
Aurak

[Ixalan] You got D&D in my Ixalan!

Post by Dragonhelm » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:19 pm

MesoAmerican settings seem like they have neat things, but none have thoroughly captured my attention. Most tend to be bad rehashes of history.

Yet when I look at Ixalan, I see a different kind of MesoAmerica. Ixalan is great because it isn't history repeated. In fact, it has its own identity. Complete with feathered dinosaurs!

What I would like to do is throw in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan and some Maztican elements, such as the Eagle and Jaguar Knights.

I want to see warlocks or evil clerics making blood sacrifices. I want some tabaxi and some sort of avian race. Do the sirens count for that?

So what do you think? Would you mix D&D's MesoAmerican elements with Ixalan?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Ixalan] You got D&D in my Ixalan!

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:40 am

This topic was touched on in this thread, too.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:07 pm

The introduction to Plane Shift: Ixalan makes it clear that Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan was a major inspiration for the setting, so I'd say they're a perfect match. And Tomoachan has already been adapted to 5e in Tales from the Yawning Portal.

My own thoughts on using Ixalan (specifically with Freeport) can be found here.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:19 pm
MesoAmerican settings seem like they have neat things, but none have thoroughly captured my attention. Most tend to be bad rehashes of history.

Yet when I look at Ixalan, I see a different kind of MesoAmerica. Ixalan is great because it isn't history repeated. In fact, it has its own identity. Complete with feathered dinosaurs!

What I would like to do is throw in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan and some Maztican elements, such as the Eagle and Jaguar Knights.

I want to see warlocks or evil clerics making blood sacrifices. I want some tabaxi and some sort of avian race. Do the sirens count for that?

So what do you think? Would you mix D&D's MesoAmerican elements with Ixalan?
If you are trying to build new things that are close to the canon it might be worth looking at the Ixalan article on MTG Wiki to see if the canon contains anything similar to the new elements you are thinking of importing.

There is a card called Arguel's Blood Fast which can be transformed into Temple of Aclazotz. That allows a CCG player to sacrifice a creature to gain health. So you have a canon way of dealing with sacrifice already. I would suggest digging into that to see if any of the fiction has gone into more detail about the Temple of Aclazotz (and the Blood Fast).

I couldn't find a list of Ixalan cards, but I think it would be worth looking for one, in case there is something that is similar to Eagle Knights and Jaguar Knights.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:04 pm
I couldn't find a list of Ixalan cards
https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/ixalan/cards

https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/r ... alan/cards

All 500-odd cards from the two Ixalan sets are visible in these two links.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”