Ravnica: Minotaurs overpowered?

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Ravnica: Minotaurs overpowered?

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:20 pm

They seem a bit on the powerful side, even compared to say Centaurs from the same book.

What do you think?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Ravnica: Minotaurs overpowered?

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:56 pm

Maybe they are meant to be more powerful than other creatures.

Do you know what sort of damage minotaurs do on M:tG CCG cards (relative to other creatures)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:51 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:56 pm
I'm not super obsessed about game balance, but it is frustrating if one race is just better than all the other PC options.

Do you know what sort of damage minotaurs do on M:tG CCG cards (relative to other creatures)?
No idea. Never played MtG.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:50 pm

If we look at some relevant samples of minotaurs (some older, some newer), a fairly consistent picture emerges. (If we look at the complete list of printed Minotaur creatures, at http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Searc ... +[minotaur], we see several exceptions, but most of them exist for specific reasons related to the card set they were printed in; for example the Ordruun Commando's 4/1 is atypically offense-focused, in order to allow for the use of White magic to protect it, in order to reinforce the Ravnica set's emphasis on two-color magic, while the Eternal version of Neheb from Amonkhet is a "super-mummy", so he's far more potent than most minotaurs get unless they've been zombified). The far-and-away most common size for minotaur cards is 2/3, which makes them tougher than bears and even ogres, but weaker than hill giants or elephants; if they're a little overpowered compared to dwarves, dragonborn, lizardfolk, and other melee-spec'ed races, that is pretty consistent. Really, what we need in 5E is something equivalent to the Level Adjustment, Racial Hit Dice, and Effective Character Level mechanics of 3E, something where we can say that a 1st-level Minotaur Barbarian is equivalent to a 2nd-level Human Barbarian. Until we have that, we will have to live with the possibility that some races will just be overpowered compared to others, or else make those races unavailable for the sake of balance.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Havard wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:51 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:56 pm
I'm not super obsessed about game balance, but it is frustrating if one race is just better than all the other PC options.

No idea. Never played MtG.

-Havard
It is frustrating when you have to explain to your players that the majority of characters will not be minotaurs (or, "insert character PC race/class here") in this campaign world, but they will be very rare. Then your gaming group has 3-4 minotaurs (or other over-powered PC types) in it, and they're all so much more powerful than anything else you could throw at (normal) 1st level that nothing is challenging for them.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:22 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:02 pm
It is frustrating when you have to explain to your players that the majority of characters will not be minotaurs (or, "insert character PC race/class here") in this campaign world, but they will be very rare. Then your gaming group has 3-4 minotaurs (or other over-powered PC types) in it, and they're all so much more powerful than anything else you could throw at (normal) 1st level that nothing is challenging for them.
I'm not sure Minotaurs are so over powered in this version, but it is worth taking a look at. Their benefits seem better than the Centaur for instance. However, I also like how Humans gain +1 to all ability scores in this edition (or alternately a feat and two +1s). This makes humans an attractive race compared to many of the other options even though the other races gain various cool abilities.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:02 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:22 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:02 pm
I'm not sure Minotaurs are so over powered in this version, but it is worth taking a look at. Their benefits seem better than the Centaur for instance. However, I also like how Humans gain +1 to all ability scores in this edition (or alternately a feat and two +1s). This makes humans an attractive race compared to many of the other options even though the other races gain various cool abilities.

-Havard
FWIW, I should explain that I haven't looked at Ravnica, or the PC races pdf for Ravnica. My thoughts were based on previous comments that I assumed meant that the minotaur PC race IS overpowered. ;)

My frustration, however, extends to any PC race or class that is overpowered compared to what I'd consider to be 'traditional' or 'core' races & classes.

Of course, my own POV is Gygaxian: humanocentric, and I cleave strongly to the literary trope that assumes that humans are 'normal' in extra-normal circumstances, settings, and with extra-normal beings beside them. That is the sense of newness that never wears off for me.

That is not to say that I do not enjoy playing non-humans, I do. But I consider the other races uncommon or rare compared to humans. It is that rarity that makes them a treat to play. :cool:

I might have to give the Ravnica PDF a look-see, if they have centaurs as a PC race. I've always wondered why centaurs aren't as common as half-orcs - that is on a scale of common to rare:

Human
Dwarf (hill, mountain)
Halfling (stout, hairfoot, etc)
Gnome (rock, forest)
Half-elf
Elf (wood, high)
Centaur
Half-orc
Elf (drow)
Tiefling
Svirfneblin
Aaracockra
Genasi
Aasimar
Gith

I'm not sure where the minotaur would fit just yet. IMC, they are still a monster only race, as are the Gith.
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:20 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:02 pm
that is on a scale of common to rare:
Where do you get this information?

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:43 am

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't MTG basically a card game?

Therefore some cards would be worth more than others. Balance isn't a concern.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Morfie wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:43 am
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't MTG basically a card game?

Therefore some cards would be worth more than others. Balance isn't a concern.
This forum is dedicated to the D&D version of Magic the Gathering, not the Card Game :)

The Guilds of Ravnica is the first print product by WotC detailing the MtG universe for D&D 5th Edition.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:14 pm

willpell wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Dread Delgath wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:02 pm
that is on a scale of common to rare:
Where do you get this information?
My campaign world. I wanted to point out that many players just don't care how rare the DM/campaign creator says that any particular race is, they gonna play it no matter what.

Remember the sea of Drizz't clones a few years back after RA Salvatore's Drizz't series? :lol:

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:17 pm

How do they compare to the minotaurs of Dragonlance? I've yet to get my hands on the Ravnica books.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:26 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:17 pm
How do they compare to the minotaurs of Dragonlance? I've yet to get my hands on the Ravnica books.
I don't have the Ravnica book, but I assume the minotaurs there are based on the UA article "Centaurs and Minotaurs" from earlier this year. Those stats (and the previous iteration of the minotaur in UA) were designed to work for Krynn minotaurs as well.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:05 am

timemrick wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:26 pm
I don't have the Ravnica book, but I assume the minotaurs there are based on the UA article "Centaurs and Minotaurs" from earlier this year. Those stats (and the previous iteration of the minotaur in UA) were designed to work for Krynn minotaurs as well.
Interesting, I'll have to give those a glance at...it's been awhile since I looked at that UA article.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”