[Zendikar] A Planeswalker's Guide to Zendikar

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Zendikar] A Planeswalker's Guide to Zendikar

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:38 pm

I just found out that WotC published something, called A Planeswalker's Guide to Zendikar, as a series of online articles. Here is the introduction:
A Planeswalker's Guide to Zendikar wrote:Deadly perils. Priceless treasures. Zendikar is a wild, untamed world fabled among planeswalkers. Ancient forests conceal trapped ruins. Catacombs leak poisonous vapors into the sky. Magma bursts unexpectedly from a placid lake. The landscapes are breathtaking—if you can survive the dangers. Zendikar hides treasures beyond imagining, but only an elite few can survive long enough to find them.

This is a place where rules are broken: Violent forces roll across the horizon, constantly altering the shape of the land. Massive stones float on air. Vampires dwell in cultured, decadent cities. But elsewhere, the trappings of civilized life are rare. A sturdy machete will keep you alive longer than a chest full of gold.

Even Zendikar's mana is unique—more intense, more powerful, more desired by those who know how to wield it. Like other planes, the lands flow with mana that mages use to power their spells. But Zendikar's mana is different from other planes of the Multiverse. Crackling with spell-like effects, the land pulses with incredibly potent mana. Planeswalkers flock to Zendikar in search of these remarkable—and dangerous—locales.
It might be worth looking at, alongside Plane Shift: Zendikar. Anyhoo, here are the parts of A Planeswalker's Guide to Zendikar:
  • A Planeswalker's Guide to Zendikar - Introduction: Ruins of a Lost Civilization, The Roil, Exploring the Wilds, The World of Zendikar (Akoum, Bala Ged, Guul Draz, Murasa, Tazeem, Ondu, Sejiri), The Races of Zendikar (Vampires, Kor, Merfolk, Goblins, Elves).
  • A Planeswalker’s Guide to Zendikar: Bala Ged and Elves - Bala Ged (Guum Wilds, Surrakar caves, Bojuka Bay, Umung River, The Tangled Vales, Bloodbriar, Cut fungus), Elves (Fearlessness, Preparedness, Spiritual pragmatism, Organization, Tajuru Nation, The Kazandu Splinter, Mul Daya Nation, Mul Daya soulspeakers, Joraga Nation).
  • A Planeswalker’s Guide to Zendikar: Guul Draz - Guul Draz (Malakir, The Free City of Nimana, Pelakka Karst, Filth Bursts, The Hanging Swamp), Vampires (Bloodchiefs, Nulls).
  • A Planeswalker’s Guide to Zendikar: Ondu - Ondu (Verticality, Islands of Ondu), Turntimber, the Serpentine Forest (Turntimber trees, Wildlife, Greypelt), The Makindi Trenches (Inhabited cliffs, Raging rivers, Teetering Peaks), Prison of Omnath (Binding Circle, Soul Stair, Ritual of Lights), Jwar, Isle of Secrets (Faduun, Strand of Jwar, The vanishing dead), Beyeen, the Crown of Talib (The God's Crown, "Piston" mountains, Wildlife, Zulaport, The Boilbasin) Hedron Fields of Agadeem (Mystic relics, Strange laws, Kabira, Three Masks, The Cryptlock).
  • A Planeswalker’s Guide to Zendikar: Tazeem and Merfolk - Tazeem, Emeria, the Sky Ruin (Pathway Stones), Halimar, the Inland Sea (The Lighthouse at Sea Gate), Oran-Rief Forest, Pit Caves, Umara River Gorge (Magosi Waterfall and Portage), Merfolk, Merfolk Enclave, Merfolk Realms.
  • A Planeswalker’s Guide to Zendikar: Goblins - Goblin Physiology, Social Structure and Leadership, Talismans, "Grit" and Goblin Skin, The Tuktuk Tribe, The Lavastep Tribe, The Grotag Tribe, The Fissure Goblins of Ondu, The Goblin Dynasties of Beyeen, The Gas-Talkers of Akoum, The Song-Mad Goblins of Murasa.
  • A Planeswalker’s Guide to Zendikar: Akoum - Akoum, Geological Instability, Lifeforms, Deadly Coasts, Teeth of Akoum, League of Anowon, Affa, The Goma Fada Caravan, Tal Terig, Ora Ondar, The Khalni Stone, Igneous Glens, Waterscouts, Glasspool, Ior.
  • A Planeswalker's Guide to Zendikar: Murasa and Sejiri - Murasa, The Walled Continent, Getting into Murasa, Sunder Bay, Cliffs of Kazuul, Thunder Gap, Glint Pass, Skyfang Mountains, Shatterskull Pass, Na Plateau, Singing City, Vazi River, Pillar Plains, Visimal, the Hidden City, The Cipher in Flames, Jurworrel Trees, Raimunza Hive, The Living Spire and the Grindstone Crucible, Kazandu, Jaddi Trees, Raimunza River, Root Caves, Sejiri, Midnight Pass, The Tundra Perilous , Wildlife, Explorers, Ikiral, Benthidrix.
I've not compared this to Plane Shift: Zendikar yet, so I don't know if there are any parts of Zendikar that are covered by this, but not Plane Shift: Zendikar. There is also the fact that this is a much older document, so might not cover some things that have been created for Zendikar since then. But I think it could be good for handouts.

If I was good at graphic design, I might try to suck this all into a single PDF.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”