[MtG] D&D Ravnica HardCover Coming to D&D in November?

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [MtG] D&D Ravnica HardCover Coming to D&D in November?

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Morfie wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:41 am
Next thing you know, you'll need to play D&D with MtG cards as well.
They already tried something similar to that with the Gamma World edition that came out during D&D4E era. If you wanted more mutations you needed to buy random booster packs of mutation cards. It turned me off completely from that game. I sold my starter box. A lot of people I know were angry at this. Let's hope they never try something like that again... :facepalm:

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm

zontoxira wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:00 pm
Today I was sent this image:

Image.

It's from DMs Guild, and looks like it got a new setting added.
There is more in this in this Eberron thread :cool:

Curiously, Ravnica is not on the list?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm
zontoxira wrote:

Image.

-Havard
Is this a clue we can use to deduce Eberron would be the «classic» setting published in 2018? Even though its 15 years old I wouldn't say it classic. Classic imho are settings published under TSR.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:31 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Is this a clue we can use to deduce Eberron would be the «classic» setting published in 2018? Even though its 15 years old I wouldn't say it classic. Classic imho are settings published under TSR.
I think it seems likely that they are referring to Eberron. I recently heard someone group 3E as one of the "older editions". I guess time flies! :D

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:44 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:31 pm
shesheyan wrote:

I think it seems likely that they are referring to Eberron. I recently heard someone group 3E as one of the "older editions". I guess time flies! :D

-Havard
Never bought into Eberron. So that would be two new settings for me! :cool:

It does fly. 5E is already in its fourth year. 3E came out in 2000. That is 18 years. In 15 years D&D had gone from Original D&D to 2E...

Corsair14
Hobgoblin

Post by Corsair14 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:41 pm

Doubt it will be Eberron. This already sounds like a techno-magic world plus its not hard to run as is. They wouldnt do that twice. I expect either Dark SUn or Spelljammer, both require a large amount of material to bring up to date to 5th. This setting doesnt really help me much except maybe for some ideas for Sigil. I will wait and see whats in it before I buy in if I buy in.

finarvyn
Bugbear

Post by finarvyn » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 pm

I don't know much about the Magic setting, but I did read some of the books in the Weatherlight Saga (flying ship). Anyone know if Weatherlight is at all connected to Ravnica?
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Discussion player Since 1975
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:25 am

Well, is not what I was expecting but, if is plunderable, I'll dig in. I do prefer Trantor or Coruscant for "planet-city" settings.

As for Dark Sun, I guess is a setting we cannot have yet. I mean, if this Eberron stuff is just playtest, that means they still have problems with Psionics.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:12 am

rabindranath72 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:52 am
Interesting. The setup screams 13th Age to me, more than D&D, though. I think I'll get it for my 13th Age games.
You may have answered this question on Facebook already (I saw a similar statement over there earlier today), but for the benefit of those who are reading this thread, why do you say that?

FaerieGodfather
Shroompunk Warlord

Post by FaerieGodfather » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:32 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:25 am
As for Dark Sun, I guess is a setting we cannot have yet. I mean, if this Eberron stuff is just playtest, that means they still have problems with Psionics.
That is a clever insight and rings true based on the various UA attempts.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:53 pm

finarvyn wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 pm
I don't know much about the Magic setting, but I did read some of the books in the Weatherlight Saga (flying ship). Anyone know if Weatherlight is at all connected to Ravnica?
Not whatsoever. Ravnica was the second MTG setting ever invented which has absolutely zero connection to the Dominaria storyline (other than retroactively being visited by Planeswalkers who have also been there).

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:33 pm

Despite my despising MtG I would not hold the settings origins against it. If it has sufficient novelty to hold my interest and good PC options that tie to the settings novelty I’d play. As for buying the book and DMing, we my dance card is too full already.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:03 am

Coronoides wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:33 pm
Despite my despising MtG I would not hold the settings origins against it. If it has sufficient novelty to hold my interest and good PC options that tie to the settings novelty I’d play. As for buying the book and DMing, we my dance card is too full already.
In the latest episode of Dragon Talk, the designers explained that they wrote the new Ravnica sourcebook as a setting for D&D that happened to have its origins in MtG, not as a D&D game designed to appeal to MtG players. The example that they used was that magic colors are never mentioned in the book. If they'd written it to appeal to MtG players, they would've used the magic colors throughout the book as a touchstone that those players could return to, rather than excluding it.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:51 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:03 am
The example that they used was that magic colors are never mentioned in the book. If they'd written it to appeal to MtG players, they would've used the magic colors throughout the book as a touchstone that those players could return to, rather than excluding it.
Curious. If they have all ten guilds, then I wonder how they will avoid mentioning the color identities thereof. And if they leave the guilds out of Ravnica, how much will be left?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:35 am

willpell wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:51 pm
Curious. If they have all ten guilds, then I wonder how they will avoid mentioning the color identities thereof. And if they leave the guilds out of Ravnica, how much will be left?
They gave the example of a guild that is red/blue. I'll paraphrase it as best I can. While the sourcebook won't refer to red or blue magic, it will explain that the guild is aggressive and taps into the energy of invention to create gadgets. So it's hinting at the sources for red and blue magic -- fire and lightning -- and explaining them in the context of what that passion (red) and energy (blue) brings to the guild.

Guilds will definitely be in the book. They briefly talked about all ten of them. They also talked about how an example guild -- a circus of demonic creatures, if I recall -- could be used in Sharn (Eberron) or Waterdeep (Forgotten Realms).

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:35 am
They also talked about how an example guild -- a circus of demonic creatures, if I recall -- could be used in Sharn (Eberron) or Waterdeep (Forgotten Realms).
The Cult of Rakdos, red and black. The problem with leaving the MTG colors out is that the Izzet (the red/blue guild) and the Rakdos have about a third of their spells in common. Both of them can set you on fire; the Izzet can teleport their friends out of the fire to safety, while the Rakdos can raise the charred corpses of their friends as zombies, but both of them are into fire magic, and use it largely the same way.

If I had written this supplement, I would definitely have tried to color-classify all the corebook spells and restrict them to specific guilds. Fireball would be a red spell, so all four red guilds would have access to it, but Animate Dead would be restricted to black, and an Izzet mage could never cast it. Some spells would be two-colored, and thus only a single guild would have access to them - for instance the Rakdos would probably be the only guild who would use the bard spell Vicious Mockery, since the concept of literally hurting someone with words is pretty much exclusively a Red-Black concept.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm very encouraged by the way they are presenting Ravnica. It makes it so much more palatable to me. I might even postpone my fall Forgotten Realms campaign and switch to Ravnica. I have to talk with the players.

As for Guilds, all they have to do is put spell lists of what is legal for each, similar to what they do for classes in the PHB.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:42 pm

I pre-ordered the book and map kit today. Our new DD5E Fall campaign has been postponed until December to give me time to digest the book. Instead we will prolong my Coriolis campaign and do one-shots of Modern AGE and Esper Genesis.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:02 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm
zontoxira wrote:

Image.

It wouldn't be. That's a list of the campaign settings that have been released for 3rd party content creators on DMs Guild.

It's only relevant, because WotC have chosen to send Eberron straight to DMs Guild on the same day they also chose to announce a full-blown Magic: The Gathering D&D product.
shesheyan wrote:
It's more of a leak than a clue.

Amazon leaked that D&D Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica was getting published and DriveThru RPG leaked that Eberron had been added to the DMs Guild program.

You would think that Wizards of the Coast would actually announce these things themselves. Instead they got Nathan Stewart and Greg Tito to pretend that Spelljammer was about to be published shortly before the two leaks.
Corsair14 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:41 pm
Doubt it will be Eberron. This already sounds like a techno-magic world plus its not hard to run as is. They wouldnt do that twice. I expect either Dark SUn or Spelljammer, both require a large amount of material to bring up to date to 5th. This setting doesnt really help me much except maybe for some ideas for Sigil. I will wait and see whats in it before I buy in if I buy in.
Too late. That was a confirmed leak, when the screen shots were going around.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”