[MtG] Plane Shift: Dominaria available

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

[MtG] Plane Shift: Dominaria available

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:40 pm

The latest installment of Plane Shift is here. I guess Magic fans can tell me more about Dominaria.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2018-07-31

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: [MtG] Plane Shift: Dominaria available

Post by willpell » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:37 pm

A pretty disappointing entry. Dominaria is a gigantic planet with dozens upon dozens of major regions, and we hear about five. They include like three monsters, a couple of variant classes, and most of the rest is just inspiration (tables of suggested Ideals and such). Similar in quality to Plane Shift Zendikar, the first of these that they made; they're still not making much of an effort, which is admittedly fair since these are free, but still - you're really getting what you pay for.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:41 pm

Dominaria is (more or less) the first planet introduced in Magic: the Gathering and it witnesses several major changes (cataclysms, climatic changes, etc.), so it has the potential to be the background of many campaigns at different times of its history.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:53 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:41 pm
Dominaria is (more or less) the first planet introduced in Magic: the Gathering and it witnesses several major changes (cataclysms, climatic changes, etc.), so it has the potential to be the background of many campaigns at different times of its history.
And that would have absolutely been a great way to handle the book or booklet for it. But the Time Spiral set, which would best support this idea, was ten years ago, long before any of this came up.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:39 pm

Hem... actually I was thinking about Unlimited, Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Fallen Empires, Dark, Legends, Ice Age... the ages of the wars between Mishra and Urza... each expansion set mentioned could almost be an age of Dominaria on its own...
They were launched about twice as many years ago compared to what you menton, but there are many D&D settings that came from XX century and are still perfectly fine to play.

I would like to have an official guideline for card creatures into D&D creatures and also a storyline that connects all the blurb texts in the cards in a logical and straightforward way, perhaps with some extra detail... that would breath a lot of life in these new settings... :)

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:43 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:39 pm
Hem... actually I was thinking about Unlimited, Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Fallen Empires, Dark, Legends, Ice Age... the ages of the wars between Mishra and Urza... each expansion set mentioned could almost be an age of Dominaria on its own...
Actually, Arabian Nights doesn't belong in that set; it's not set on Dominaria. The setting of Arabian Nights was originally conceived literally as just the setting of Alf Layla Wa-Layla, from the real world's Islamic and pre-Islamic mythic traditions; this was before the company publishing Magic felt any strong need to have their own consistent setting. When that idea did come along, all of the other expansions prior to Tempest were declared to occur on the plane of Dominaria, with two exceptions - Homelands, which was set in a pocket plane called Ulgrotha, and Arabian Nights. The setting of AN was then declared as being a separate plane - or rather 1001 very similar planes - known as Rabiah the Infinite.

That technicality aside, you're right about the rest. The Antiquities era, the Dark Ages, the Fallen Empires, the Ice Age, and several other eras that fit around these (such as the Thran civilization, long before Antiquities, and the setting of the Alliances expansion, in which the Ice Age's glaciers have melted and left severe flooding in their wake), as well as later revisitations of the planet - the Mirage setting, Urza's Saga, the Invasion story arc, and the continent of Otaria from the Odyssey and Onslaught story blocks, and finally the postapocalyptic Time Spiral - those could ALL be separate settings, albeit with a fair amount of overlap.
I would like to have an official guideline for card creatures into D&D creatures and also a storyline that connects all the blurb texts in the cards in a logical and straightforward way, perhaps with some extra detail... that would breath a lot of life in these new settings... :)
It sure would, but it's not as profitable for Wizards of the Coast as continuing to peddle their cardboard crack, in which a creature can just be released as a 3/3 with no abilities, and fill booster packs with that "limited staple", instead of having to go through the whole process of designing a D&D statblock that represents a mammoth or a centaur or a hill giant or whatever.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:11 pm

You're right about Rabiah, but there are quite a lot of cards from that expansion that are in the Unlimited list, that is canonically set in Dominaria, and... if you have the Serendib Efreet in Dominaria, you should also have Serendib there (and therefore not only in Rabiah as a separate plane), and so on with the Mahamoti Djinn, etc.
Or not?
Last edited by Yaztromo on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:14 pm

willpell wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:43 pm
it's not as profitable for Wizards of the Coast as continuing to peddle their cardboard crack, in which a creature can just be released as a 3/3 with no abilities, and fill booster packs with that "limited staple", instead of having to go through the whole process of designing a D&D statblock that represents a mammoth or a centaur or a hill giant or whatever.
Well... if they don't do it, amateurs will do it.
So, why not providing at least a conversion guideline as a free on line content (just like this introduction to Dominaria and previous D&D+Magic contents released) so that anybody can do it consistently? I think it would be nice.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:35 am

Yaztromo wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:11 pm
You're right about Rabiah, but there are quite a lot of cards from that expansion that are in the Unlimited list, that is canonically set in Dominaria
There are no cards from Arabian Nights that are in Unlimited (other than Mountain, which was printed on the Arabian Nights sheet just because they had extra space). You're probably thinking of Revised, which does have reprints from Arabian Nights, but that doesn't make those cards canonically Dominarian. It's debatable whether all the Unlimited cards are canonically Dominarian, although most are generally assumed to be so.
and... if you have the Serendib Efreet in Dominaria, you should also have Serendib there (and therefore not only in Rabiah as a separate plane), and so on with the Mahamoti Djinn, etc.
Or not?
Serendib is probably the only one of the Efreet and Djinn names which represents a place (and thus is the name of both an Efreet and a Djinn). Who knows what the other names represent.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:11 am

Hmmm... now you make me doubt and probably you're right about Unlimited and Revised card list (sorry for the confusion), although I'm almost sure that the Mahamoti Djinn was also in the Unlimited list (I think I used to own it).
I am also almost sure that in the small rulebook accompanying the Revised decks (that included quite a few Arabian Nights reprints) Dominaria was explicitly mentioned.
For good or for bad, I don't have that stuff with me anymore, so I can't double check.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:49 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:40 pm
The latest installment of Plane Shift is here. I guess Magic fans can tell me more about Dominaria.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2018-07-31
There are a few existing Piazza topics about Dominaria, that might help you: The first one dates all the way back to 2012.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:50 pm

willpell wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:37 pm
A pretty disappointing entry. Dominaria is a gigantic planet with dozens upon dozens of major regions, and we hear about five. They include like three monsters, a couple of variant classes, and most of the rest is just inspiration (tables of suggested Ideals and such). Similar in quality to Plane Shift Zendikar, the first of these that they made; they're still not making much of an effort, which is admittedly fair since these are free, but still - you're really getting what you pay for.
There is no "they" about it.

This is all stuff that James Wyatt (who used to work for D&D before switching to Magic: The Gathering) does in his personal time.

And, in my opinion, his work, donating his own time to make these things for fans is largely responsible for Wizards of the Coast finally (after 3.0, 3.5 and 4e failed to do it) delivering a Magic: The Gathering D&D book.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:07 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:50 pm
willpell wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:37 pm
There is no "they" about it.

This is all stuff that James Wyatt (who used to work for D&D before switching to Magic: The Gathering) does in his personal time.

And, in my opinion, his work, donating his own time to make these things for fans is largely responsible for Wizards of the Coast finally (after 3.0, 3.5 and 4e failed to do it) delivering a Magic: The Gathering D&D book.
Acknowledged. Like I said, it costs nothing, so I can't expect much...I'm just saying that my expectation was not exceeded.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:14 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:14 pm
willpell wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:43 pm
it's not as profitable for Wizards of the Coast as continuing to peddle their cardboard crack, in which a creature can just be released as a 3/3 with no abilities, and fill booster packs with that "limited staple", instead of having to go through the whole process of designing a D&D statblock that represents a mammoth or a centaur or a hill giant or whatever.
Well... if they don't do it, amateurs will do it.
So, why not providing at least a conversion guideline as a free on line content (just like this introduction to Dominaria and previous D&D+Magic contents released) so that anybody can do it consistently? I think it would be nice.
Conversion guidelines would be great!

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”