[MtG][Ulgrotha] Homelands as inspiration for tabletop games

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

[MtG][Ulgrotha] Homelands as inspiration for tabletop games

Post by Boddynock » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:52 pm

MODERATOR NOTE: Split from the [MtG] How does the Magic: the Gathering universe work? topic.

A favorite of mine when talking about turning something into a table-top setting is based off the card set: Homelands

Granted, there is was a comic series that I've never read, so my thoughts and ideas for a setting is based only on the cards and flavor text. But here are the neat things one can infer or port to mix this set with tabletop.

-The Homelands is a far off-plane that are discovered by two Planeswalkers named Feroz and Serra. Taking a D&D nod, these Planeswalkers might also be considered Immortals who, after their disgust from the destructive Brother's War over in Dominaria, decide to move to Ulgrotha. Feroz, a powerful magician (and in D&D terms perhaps an immortal whose portfolio is magic) creates Feroz's ban to keep other Immortals from entering Ulgrotha. On one hand, it perhaps keeps other Immortals from coming and messing with things, on the other it effectively traps all who live on Ulgrotha on the plane. Game effects wise, this perhaps could mean a D&D character is unable to palneshift while the ban is up.

-Through the cards we learn the following factions/human ethnic groups/races hold sway in Ulgrotha. We definitely see the Folk of An-Hava, a predominately forest dwelling group of Humans that worship Ulgrotha's own Immortal: The Autumn Willow (her purview would probably be life, healing, and nature); the Samite, a sort of roving human band that have trading caravans and study alchemy; the Aysen, people who live in a theocratic state that worships Serra as a Immortal of justice and protection; and the Rogues- people of independent city states that dwell on the fringe. We have Minotaur, with a major tribe/clan known as the Anaba that deal a lot in shamanism (cards include such as the Anaba Shaman, Spirit Crafter, and Ancestor. So they draw their power less from an immortal it seems, but more from their ancestors and just the spirit world in general). There are Dwarves, both land-based types that deal in mercantile pursuits (the most prominent Dwarf named is a merchant named Helena) and the Sea Clan Dwarves that battle the undead Reef Pirates. So to sum up: We have roughly 4 groups of Humans, 2 groups of Dwarves, & Minotaur. There are smaller hints in the cards (like that of Goblins) but there are so few I would leave them off in this hypothetical Homelands-D&D mashup.

-Villains? Well the set does introduce at least one big one, and one that could be more of a rival rather than a true villain. The true villain is Baron Sengir. A powerful vampire whose title suggests he is a Baron (thus his land might be called the Barony of Sengir). Cards tied to the Baron include his immediate 'children' (the Sengir Vampire), Grandmother Sengir (an ancient vampire who possess a dangerous artifact known as the Apocalypse Chime), Irini Sengir (the daughter of the Dwarf King of a now ruined city known as An-Zerrin. The cards and everything suggest that either the Dwarves of that realm built too close or opposed the Baron. So he slew them and at least turned the king's daughter, Irini into a vampire. Perhaps the other Dwarves now serve as ghouls or zombies). We also see cards such as Veldrane of Sengir (who appears to be a Human huntsman working the Barony), Ihsan's Shade (the shade of a Paladin who either serves the Baron or is just a powerful, but cursed undead. His art looks very Deathknight-like). Finally the Sengir Autocrat suggests to me that the barony is a dark place with whatever humans are terrorized by the undead and monsters such as the Greater Werewolf. Even Sengir Bats draw their strength from blood, perhaps its mortal blood that suits their palate.

The other 'villain' could serve more as a rival or antagonist that could be dealt with by diplomacy over just fighting. Eron the Relentless is a Mage who, despite being killing multiple times as his text suggests, has been able to regenerate and continue on. Cards such as Joven and Chandler suggest people steal artifacts and items from Eron. If the players go that route, they may also find themselves being chased by a red colored wizard who has the strange power to regenerate.

-One of the main plots hinted is that the Feroz's Ban, the ban that is keeping the other planes out of Ulgrotha is fading. Serra, who is said to have died after her lover Feroz was killed in a magical accident is philosophized to return. The Autumn Willow continues to hold against the encroaching darkness while Baron Sengir plots to blacken the world. From that, I could offer a couple of story ideas.

-The players might be trying to figure out a way to either break or restore the ban. By breaking the ban, the Players might be able to contact more help or gain greater power/artifacts to fight Baron Sengir. Then again, the Baron will also have a chance to reach out and draw who knows what to his cause.

-The players may be helping the folk of An-Havva and the Autumn Willow fight back against the forces of the Baron, yet, how can one hope to stop such encroaching darkness?

-Raid Castle Sengir! It's sort of like Castle Ravenloft, but with a crazy grandmother-vampire who might chase after you or detonate a weapon of mass destruction.

-Battle Reef Pirates (which, according to text/creature types) are zombies and help the Sea Clan Dwarves. Also deal with sea trolls and other monsters while hunting for buried treasure.

-Either rob, deal with, or mess around with Eron the Relentless in some manner that is financially beneficial or perhaps amusing. Just take care about killing him, he regenerates.
Check out my blog

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [MtG] How does the Magic: the Gathering universe work?

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Boddynock wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:52 pm
A favorite of mine when talking about turning something into a table-top setting is based off the card set: Homelands
I looked up Homelands on MTG Wiki. That actually says it is set on the plane called Ulgrotha.

I'm actually looking to wokr out how the Magic: the Gathering universe works in this topic, so I'll ask the local moderator to move your post off and make it into a new topic.

I would like to know where the PCs could fit into a game set here.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Re: [MtG][Ulgrotha] Homelands as inspiration for tabletop games

Post by Boddynock » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Yeah, I'm trying to work out how that relates also. I don't know if at the time I got carried away explaining how the Homelands set differed from the Standard MTG universe and got carried away or what... but, yeah, I guess that year was just a time for going off topic.

As for how the PC's could be involved? Well the context clues given by the cards setup a couple of organizations the PC's could work for or belong to.

-There is the Church of Serra, a good-aligned organization devoted to the Planeswalker known as 'Serra'. Creatures such as the Serra Inquisitors and Serra Angel are tied to this character. In a plane that is plagued by the machinations of a Vampire Lord, you could make a campaign where the PC's either are members of the church or are paid to help the Inquisition battle Baron Sengir.

-Red Cards suggest an area frequented by Minotaur and Human outcasts known as Rogues. Players may be adventurers who come from here, plundering the world for treasure and then falling into a plot. Also a good place if anyone has PC Minotaur stats to introduce a Minotaur character.

-There is a village known as An-Havva that is depicted. They are shown as good folk who are under the protection (and in turn they venerate) a being known as the Autumn Willow. Characters could be townsfolk looking to defend their lands from evil depredations.

-Dwarves are featured as being members of a Sea Clan (which I, in headcanon, took as them being a combination of pirate and merchant). Also included are the undead in the form of Reef Pirates. So, players could be pirates or buccaneers helping Dwarves fight zombie pirates.

So, those are some ideas. I imagine a lot of this is spelled out in a series of comics that were done as tie ins to Homelands (or Ulgrotha, as it is indeed known). At the time I was just waxing with excitement about the card set a lot of players seem to dislike that I really found neat for the flavor text. Then again, I was also not the best MtG player. So, sorry if I derailed the previous thread.
Check out my blog

My Wattpad Profile

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”