Unearhed Arcana: Races of Ravnica (5E)

"There are some who call me...Tim!" Discuss Magic: The Gathering campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Unearhed Arcana: Races of Ravnica (5E)

Post by Havard » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Came across this on Twitter:
Jeremy Crawford‏ @JeremyECrawford wrote: August's Unearthed Arcana features four races from the world of Ravnica: loxodons, Simic hybrids, vedalken, and viashino. Follow this link to learn more about playing them in D&D: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearth ... es-ravnica … #DnD #MagicTheGathering
Get the download document here:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearth ... es-ravnica

Apparently Loxodons now look like the Pachydermions of Mystara

Are you excited to see these races? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Unearhed Arcana: Races of Ravnica (5E)

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:46 pm
Get the download document here:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearth ... es-ravnica
Here is what they say on the Races of Ravnica, in case they ever take the page down:
Wizards of the Coast wrote:Races of Ravnica
By James Wyatt, Ari Levitch, Jeremy Crawford - 08/13/2018

A group of races from the world of Ravnica have arrived in Unearthed Arcana: loxodons, Simic hybrids, vedalken, and viashino. While native to Ravnica, these folk could potentially be used in any D&D world. They are destined for the upcoming book Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica, out this November. Now is your chance to help shape their final forms!

Later this month, a survey will appear on the D&D website. Please let us know in that survey what you think of today’s Unearthed Arcana.
  • This Is Playtest Content

The material in Unearthed Arcana is presented for playtesting and to spark your imagination. These game mechanics are in draft form, usable in your campaign but not refined by final game design and editing. They are not officially part of the game. For these reasons, material in this column is not legal in D&D Adventurers League events.
It's interesting that they are going to do a survey between now and November...and apparently still have time to edit the book before it goes to press.

I've not seen the names Ari Levitch and Jeremy Crawford in connection with Magic: The Gathering or Plane Shift before. Has anyone seen either of them mentioning working on Magic: The Gathering?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:27 am

I gather from comments by Mike Mearls on his Happy Fun Hour show that Jeremy Crawford is (among other things) the design team's mechanics expert--one of the people in charge of double-checking everyone else's work. So I would be more surprised to NOT see his name on a 5e treatment of M:tG material, now that James Wyatt's Plane Shift work has been upgraded from a side project to a hardcover release.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:56 pm

The new version of Powerful Build (seen on the Loxodons) utterly sucks. Who even tracks carry weight? They might as well not have bothered.

"Simic hybrids" is an extremely generic concept for a race; the version they included here has 9 possible permutations, and only 3 exist for your first four levels. This is unsatisfying to me in much the same way as the Rock Gnome's ability to build one of three useless mechanical trinkets; a lot of potential can be spliced in here without much effort, but so far I'm not impressed.

I like the fluff they gave the Vedalken here, but I'll never stop being somewhat sore about the fact that the Vedalken turned into generic blue humanoids when they were first brought back for Ravnica. The original Vedalken showed up in Mirrodin as fishy-faced creatures with four arms, who spent all their time wearing a diving helmet full of intelligence-enhancing "serum". It was later retconned that this was a mutation they induced in themselves, and that they naturally just look like blue-skinned humans with a slight Alien Rubber Forehead. It's pretty late to cry over that spilled milk, but I always have been sad about it.

I love what they did with the Viashino, but then I've always loved lizardmen so that was a pretty easy sell.

I hope to see another article like this one, assuming the missing content isn't already in the book. There are so many creatures we haven't seen yet - Boros minotaurs, Orzhov thrulls, Eidolon spirits, Selesnya "husks", Izzet weirds, and the age-stealing psychic vampires called the Moroii, just to name a few.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:16 pm

willpell wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:56 pm
The new version of Powerful Build (seen on the Loxodons) utterly sucks. Who even tracks carry weight? They might as well not have bothered.
I make my players track carry weight, but only if they abuse it. If I had a Loxodon PC I would treat this as "you can abuse the weight tracking rule all you want." :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

HenshinFanatic
Goblin

Post by HenshinFanatic » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:32 am

willpell wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:56 pm
Except it isn't really that new, the Firbolg and Goliath races from Volo's Guide to Monsters already had that version of Powerful Build, heck Goliath had it back in the Elemental Evil Player's Guide. If you mean new compared to 3.X, then I don't know what to tell you because in 4E, Goliaths didn't even get Powerful Build, but rather Powerful Athlete, which was basically just advantage on Athletics checks to jump or climb. No playable race in 4E had anything like 3.X Powerful Build.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:24 pm

HenshinFanatic wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:32 am
If you mean new compared to 3.X, then I don't know what to tell you because in 4E, Goliaths didn't even get Powerful Build, but rather Powerful Athlete, which was basically just advantage on Athletics checks to jump or climb. No playable race in 4E had anything like 3.X Powerful Build.
4E is borderline not even D&D, so I don't know much of anything about it. I did in fact mean new since 3.5, which is where the Goliaths were introduced. 5E depowering the heck out of 3E materials is nothing terribly new, and occasionally it goes in the other direction (Half-Elf is one of the worst 3E races and one of the best 5E ones); I was just pointing out one more specific example. I didn't know about it before since I only know 5E from the corebooks.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”