[13th Age][Dragon Empire] What is Starport?

Discuss Pelgrane Press's 13th Age rules here. Discussion of the Dragon Empire campaign setting can also be held here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[13th Age][Dragon Empire] What is Starport?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:07 pm

Tim Baker just said in his live 13th Age Q&A that the Dragon Empire from 13th Age has a location called "Starport".

How much information is there about this place?

Is it just mentioned in one book or does more than one book cover this location?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: [13th Age][Dragon Empire] What is Starport?

Post by agathokles » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:37 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:07 pm
Tim Baker just said in his live 13th Age Q&A that the Dragon Empire from 13th Age has a location called "Starport".

Is it just mentioned in one book or does more than one book cover this location?
Not much. Here is the quote from the corebook:
Starport reaches all the way up to the overworld. Stars dock there for rest and refitting. Details available on site.
I don't know if there are mentions in other books.

GP

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:28 am

There are only a few lines written about Starport in the core book. However, there's an entire adventure dedicated to Starport in the 13th Age organized play series. You can download it for free if you create a Pelgrane Press account: http://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php ... -starport/.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:30 am

It looks like Pelgrane Press posted a direct link, so you don't even need an account: http://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/19471-2/

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:49 am

agathokles wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:37 pm
Starport reaches all the way up to the overworld. Stars dock there for rest and refitting. Details available on site.

GP
What are Stars like in 13th Age? Are they anything like Stars in 4E, which I understand are entities?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:41 am

Havard wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:49 am
What are Stars like in 13th Age? Are they anything like Stars in 4E, which I understand are entities?
There's literally nothing more in the corebook (I checked all the instances of "stars" in the corebook PDF file).
I think the adventure mentioned by Tim may be the only source, and from a quick scan of it there's nothing more even there -- the idea is that a comet which is actually a conglomerate of "living dungeons" dispatches one living dungeon to Starport (which is a mountain, AFAIU). The PCs investigate monsters coming out of the dungeon and follow their trail back to the living dungeon, and kill it.

If you're not familiar with the concept, living dungeons are essentially a way to explain the presence of underground dungeon complexes without a clear ecology (they simply "spawn" monsters). It's 13th Age formalisation of a relatively popular concept in the OSR megadungeon circles. Since the living dungeon can reorganise itself, the DM and players can avoid keeping track of the actual map, and just play it as a sequence of encounters.

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Havard wrote:
agathokles wrote:
Sounds like some sort of spelljammer dry dock facility to me. :?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:30 am
It looks like Pelgrane Press posted a direct link, so you don't even need an account: http://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/19471-2/
Thanks Tim.

I took a quick skim (searching ASH LAW's 82 page adventure for the word "Starport") and it seems that Starport is very similar (in concept) to Stardock from Lankhmar (in that both of them are mountains with an association with space).

I'll have to have a look to see if ASH LAW explains the concept of stars coming down to the mountain to "rest and be refitted".

But this certainly seems to be a hook that could be used to sneak a Spelljammer link into a game set in the Dragon Empire. :cool:

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:02 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:08 pm
Havard wrote:
agathokles wrote:
Sounds like some sort of spelljammer dry dock facility to me. :?
Heh, not surprised that you would take it in that direction. :D It is a fair interpretation, but it depends on what stars really are or if its just people who think they are stars and that they are really ships :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Matchstick
Goblin

Post by Matchstick » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:58 pm

agathokles wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

GP
For information related to Stars in the Star Mask Saga (the end of Season One and all of Season Two of Organized Play) there is also the entry on Star-Masks on page 255 of the Bestiary 2.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:15 am

Matchstick wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:58 pm
For information related to Stars in the Star Mask Saga (the end of Season One and all of Season Two of Organized Play) there is also the entry on Star-Masks on page 255 of the Bestiary 2.
Here's a snippet from the Bestiary for those who don't have it:
13th Age Bestiary 2 wrote: A long time ago, in a past age, an Archmage gathered up the worst of the living dungeons and the most pernicious of monsters and hurled them deep into the cosmos. To prevent his enemies from using the exiled monsters against the Dragon Empire, that Archmage erased (almost) all memory of what had happened. . . . because that always works.

In the astral void the living dungeons found each other, merging and growing together until they formed a small moon. The monsters of the living dungeons battled each other, and interbred. After long strange eons had passed what was left was the star-mask “race.”

Now in the current age the Dungeon Moon has returned. It wanders across the sky like a comet, turning this way and that and shedding meteorites that rain down on the Dragon Empire. From these meteorites crawl the star-masks.

Matchstick
Goblin

Post by Matchstick » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:10 am

Thanks Tim! I wasn't sure if I should post an excerpt like that or not. :)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:46 am

Matchstick wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:10 am
Thanks Tim! I wasn't sure if I should post an excerpt like that or not. :)
When it's a few sentences and it's part of a discussion like this, I think it's fine.

Matchstick
Goblin

Post by Matchstick » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Matchstick wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:58 pm
agathokles wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

GP
In addition, the Book of Ages has an Age called the "Age of the Blazing Meteor" which has a lot of information that would apply to this. There's five and half pages of applicable info: monsters, background, and even an awesome illustration.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:31 am

Thanks for all those extra things.

I'm not sure how many of them would be connected to Starport and how many would have nothing to do with Starport. (And I'm guessing a lot of it would come down to GMs choice, so might not be written down.)

But, from what you are saying we have several things going on here:
  1. An Archmage of the past identifying dangerous living dungeons and hurling them into the astral void,
  2. The living dungeons and somehow coming together to form a moon, called the Dungeon Moon,
  3. The Dungeon Moon being able to move through the astral void "like a comet" and being able to turn in different directions,
  4. The Dungeon Moon shedding meteorites that rain down on the Dragon Empire,
  5. The star-masks being a race that evolved on the Dungeon Moon that comes to the Dragon Empire via meteorites and
  6. The "Age of the Blazing Meteor" being an Age of the Dragon Empire (one of the 13 Ages, I'm guessing).
So we have a name for 13th Age's analogue of wildspace (the "Astral Void").

I don't know when the "Age of the Blazing Meteor" was (out of the 13th Ages) but the Archmage that tossed living dungeons into the Astral Void would have been doing that in an earlier age.

I don't know how far apart the "dungeon tossing" era was and how many eras it would have been before the "Age of the Blazing Meteor", but the Astral Void might have been free of living dungeons before that time. Would there have been any life in the Astral Void in the 1st Age? Or did the Archmage seed life in space?

If the Archmage created stars in space and they came together, would that be the sort of thing that could come down to Stardock? Are the stars of the Dragon Empire some sort of cities floating in space?

If the living dungeons in the Astral Void combined to form the Dungeon Moon, did they have motive power (a 13th Age answer to spelljamming) or did they all get tossed out in different directions and eventually bump into each other?

Are the "living dungeons in the Astral Void" true stars, or are they more like asteroids (star-like objects, rather than true stars)?

How similar would the Dungeon Moon be to Atropus from Elder Evils?

How would the Dungeon Moon move and why would it be sending out meteors?

There are probably enough hooks there for a 13th Age product similar to Children of the Void, if not a full-blown clone of Spelljammer.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:45 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:31 am
I don't know when the "Age of the Blazing Meteor" was (out of the 13th Ages) but the Archmage that tossed living dungeons into the Astral Void would have been doing that in an earlier age.
In appropriate 13th Age fashion, the previous ages aren't given a precise order. Instead, they're given a randomizer, so they'll fall in a general range. In this case, the Age of the Blazing Meteor is the "d6th age." So it's anywhere between the 1st and the 6th Age. The 1st Age is measured from when the Emperor established the Empire, defeating the Wizard King (who became the Lich King). So there's still a "pre-history" in ages prior to the 1st.
Big Mac wrote:
I don't know how far apart the "dungeon tossing" era was and how many eras it would have been before the "Age of the Blazing Meteor", but the Astral Void might have been free of living dungeons before that time. Would there have been any life in the Astral Void in the 1st Age? Or did the Archmage seed life in space?
I don't thing the length of the ages has been set. So the amount of time that's passed is up to the table. Similarly, whether or not there was life in the Astral Void prior to this time is up to the table.
Big Mac wrote:
If the Archmage created stars in space and they came together, would that be the sort of thing that could come down to Stardock? Are the stars of the Dragon Empire some sort of cities floating in space?
Again, undefined in the books. They could be. Or they could be living beings, similar to those in the Midgard setting (a concept I've used in my version of the Dragon Empire in a campaign). Or they could be windows into the phlogiston.
Big Mac wrote:
If the living dungeons in the Astral Void combined to form the Dungeon Moon, did they have motive power (a 13th Age answer to spelljamming) or did they all get tossed out in different directions and eventually bump into each other?
I certainly think it's more interesting if they were able to join together on their own. Maybe they developed some sort of psionic ability over time. Or they shot tendrils of dark matter across the Astral Void to attach to one another. But it would be equally valid if some sort of unlikely celestial convergence led to the living dungeons colliding ages after the Archmage hurtled them away.
Big Mac wrote:
There are probably enough hooks there for a 13th Age product similar to Children of the Void, if not a full-blown clone of Spelljammer.
Agreed. There's just enough skeleton already available for a group to base a whole campaign on.

Return to “13th Age”