[13th Age] Playtest for expansion splatbook: Dark Alleys & Twisted Paths

Discuss Pelgrane Press's 13th Age rules here. Discussion of the Dragon Empire campaign setting can also be held here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

kinokopress
Goblin

[13th Age] Playtest for expansion splatbook: Dark Alleys & Twisted Paths

Post by kinokopress » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:39 am

Hi!

I’m currently working on my second 13th Age compatible book. The first one, Dark Pacts and Ancient Secrets, contained six new classes for the game.

The new one will focus on the existing classes and offer new talents, spells, maneuvers and so on.

Here’s the playtest doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SwU ... FtlCrMB0Q0

The original goal was to double the existing options for every class in the Core Book and 13 True Ways, which I’ve passed by now. There’s still a bunch of work to do, especially for the Druid and Wizard. I’ve also got a bunch of races that may end up in the book, and some ideas for alternative rules. Of these, the novice rules, meaning level zero characters, are probably the most interesting and they’ve worked quite well in playtest.

I’ve got comments enabled in the g-doc so feel free to drop me a note there. I’m also here to answer any more general questions (unless I get ninja’d by Mr. Baker).
Author of Dark Pacts & Ancient Secrets (new 13th Age classes)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [13th Age] Playtest for expansion splatbook: Dark Alleys & Twisted Paths

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:39 am

This is filled with great stuff. If you're a 13th Age player, there's a slew of valuable options packed in here. I've used these options in several games that I've run/played, and really appreciate the additional flexibility added to PCs as well as new ways to play 13th Age (e.g., Novice Tier play).

I'll do my best not to ninja answers to questions on this thread. ;)
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Matchstick
Goblin

Post by Matchstick » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:21 pm

More options are always better. I appreciate them having simple classes for sure, but I do like the option to make those simple classes a bit deeper.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:30 am

kinokopress wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:39 am
The first one, Dark Pacts and Ancient Secrets, contained six new classes for the game.
I take it that is this: Dark Pacts & Ancient Secrets (13th Age Compatible):

You might want to put a link to that (or your website - do you have a website?) in your forum signature. That way anyone who likes talking to you about 13th Age will be able to find your stuff, without having to hunt around.

Anyhoo, Dark Pacts and Ancient Secrets has 136 pages. Are you aiming for a similar size for Dark Alleys & Twisted Paths?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:02 am

Big Mac wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:30 am
I take it that is this: Dark Pacts & Ancient Secrets (13th Age Compatible)
Yep, that's the one. It's one of the only 3rd-party supplements I allow my players to use without reservations. They can build characters with the classes in DP&AS just like they could any of the official Pelgrane books. I've run several games with warlocks as well as a savage and an abomination.

Matchstick
Goblin

Post by Matchstick » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:24 pm

Agreed Tim, the classes in Dark Pacts are very colorful and well designed. It's a great supplement.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Sounds like you two are impressed with this book. :-)

Have you considered doing reviews, Tim?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

kinokopress
Goblin

Post by kinokopress » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:45 pm

Thanks guys *blush*

Regarding page count, it’s always hard to tell before final layout. I haven’t checked the word count lately but DPAS was around 60k and DATP will probably clock in around 80k so we’ll see :)
Author of Dark Pacts & Ancient Secrets (new 13th Age classes)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:56 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:17 pm
Sounds like you two are impressed with this book. :-)

Have you considered doing reviews, Tim?
I've done a few reviews on DTRPG, but don't have the time to do them regularly or in as much depth as many products deserve. Here's the one I provided for Dark Pacts & Ancient Secrets: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_re ... _id=219473

While I would be happy to include reviews if someone in the community wanted to submit them to Escalation, we've focused thus far on content that was new (e.g., monsters, adventures, classes, races, magic items, advice on running the game, icons, locations). The Iconic podcast has been really good about providing reviews, and while that wouldn't prevent us from including our own, I'm glad the 13th Age community already has a source for product reviews.

Return to “13th Age”