[Gods and Icons] Brightvarna Red and Other Tales

Discuss Pelgrane Press's 13th Age rules here. Discussion of the Dragon Empire campaign setting can also be held here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Gods and Icons] Brightvarna Red and Other Tales

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:55 pm

Dread Unicorn Games have a freebie, called Brightvarna Red and Other Tales. Here is the blurb:
Dread Unicorn Games wrote:Brightvarna Red and Other Tales

A short collection of fiction that illuminates the world of Gods and Icons.
  • Two icons who serve the same emperor struggle over a town corrupted by hell.
  • An old sailor sees too much in the mists.
  • A mage labors to craft magical spectacles that will let him see the trapped spirit of his dead lover.
Best of all, it’s free.
I don't know the rest of the Gods and Icons product line, and I had not heard of Dread Unicorn Games, before I saw the topic about the Iconic Podcast interview, with John Marvin. But if you like 13th Age, you might want to check this out to see if the commercial Gods and Icons might appeal to you.
Last edited by Big Mac on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Gods and Icons] Brightvarna Red and Other Tales

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:40 am

Good tip! Thank you for sharing.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:00 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:40 am
Good tip! Thank you for sharing.
Thanks Tim.

I don't know exactly how the stories fit in with the various Icons in the setting. They may well not tie into all the aspects of the setting. But any pointers are good.

I think a GM might be able to raid one of the story plots, to create a tabletop plot...or they might be able to set up a tabletop plot that follows one of the stories (and get the players to read the story, as a lead-in to their campaign).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:32 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:00 am
I don't know exactly how the stories fit in with the various Icons in the setting. They may well not tie into all the aspects of the setting. But any pointers are good.
The first story demonstrates the relationship between two of the icons, Hierophant Glasyra and Lord Ikal. It also touches on how they both seek to influence the Emperor.

The second story focuses on Lady Akuma, with a couple references to Thrice-Wise Mercurius sprinkled in.

I like these stories because they're short enough that it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask a player to read one. This could help establish the flavor of one of the PC's icons. Glasyra is willing to go to great lengths to save her followers. Ikal wants to defeat the demons at all costs, and it's better to be safe than sorry if a nearby village is at risk of being tainted. Lady Akuma is subtle, relying on temptation.

There are ten other icons in the setting, so this paints an incomplete picture. It might serve to motivate readers to think of icons as personalities, not just game mechanics, however.

It's also worth noting that while Dread Unicorn Games has begun fleshing out a setting of their own through the details provided in their books, these details are largely compatible with 13th Age's default setting, the Dragon Empire. Each of the icons in Gods & Icons has an analog in the Dragon Empire. You can either swap them out or use the details found here to add personality to the Dragon Empire icons, who are largely left to the gaming table to define. Similarly, the multi-planar aspects of The Overworld and Beyond don't conflict with the tidbits of information found in the core book, so you could easily insert that content into your Dragon Empire game.
Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:00 am
I think a GM might be able to raid one of the story plots, to create a tabletop plot...or they might be able to set up a tabletop plot that follows one of the stories (and get the players to read the story, as a lead-in to their campaign).
Agreed. Maybe the PCs arrive at Brightvarna, unaware of the negotiations going on at the palace, and are faced with a choice. Do they work against Lord Ikal's forces and try to free the people themselves? Do they gather evidence to prove the people are not a threat? Do they trust that the people would only be captives if they were a risk to the empire, and move on? It could lead to an interesting adventure. Perhaps the GM shares the story only after the adventure is complete. Maybe they solve the problem, and at that moment Ikal is suddenly willing to negotiate because he's already let the people go free – but Glasyra doesn't know that.

John WS Marvin
Kobold

Post by John WS Marvin » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:41 pm

Over at Dread Unicorn Games we love 13th Age! Check out our cards, adventures, and source books!
https://www.dreadunicorngames.com/store ... y=13th+Age

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:49 pm

It's good to see you on here, John. For those who aren't aware, John WS Marvin is the mastermind behind Dread Unicorn Games. John, you may want to say hi over on the Introduce Yourself Here thread.

Also, you can update your signature to link to your store and inform folks that you're a designer for 13th Age, Numenera, and D&D.

Return to “13th Age”