Iconic Podcast S3E10: Gygaxian Rock Opera

Discuss Pelgrane Press's 13th Age rules here. Discussion of the Dragon Empire campaign setting can also be held here.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

johnsonny
Orc

Iconic Podcast S3E10: Gygaxian Rock Opera

Post by johnsonny » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:31 pm

This week we welcome Benjamin Feehan onto the show to talk about his experience with the campaign idea of “What if there was a party of just bards that put on performances and delved dungeons to pay their bills?”
https://iconicpodcast.com/2019/08/12/s3-e10/
Listen and subscribe to the Iconic Podcast, which is about all things 13th Age.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Iconic Podcast S3E10: Gygaxian Rock Opera

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:20 pm

Sounds like a blast! I look forward to listening to this. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:27 pm

An all-bard party is an unusual idea for any rules system. :-)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:17 am

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:27 pm
Turns out the party is all "bards" (by profession), but aren't all bards (by character class). A bit of a cheat, if you ask me. ;)

I found the musical performance overlay/feats an interesting addition. It made me think about how easily a social overlay might work in the system.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:52 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:17 am
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:27 pm
Turns out the party is all "bards" (by profession), but aren't all bards (by character class). A bit of a cheat, if you ask me. ;)

I found the musical performance overlay/feats an interesting addition. It made me think about how easily a social overlay might work in the system.
It might be a cheat, but it's an excellent background story for a group of PCs to be hanging around together.

I did a fantasy LARP, at a place called Labyrinth, for a few years and we were a cult that thought the world was about to end. The focus was priests, but there were warrior priests (Labyrinth had a number of classes that went between the priest class and the warrior class in steps). That one was about half-way through and a bit more like the D&D Priest or Cleric. Anyhoo, not every PC was a priest, but they all had ties into the priesthood.

I wonder if it would be possible to do the same sort of thing for every character class. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:41 am

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:52 pm
not every PC was a priest, but they all had ties into the priesthood.

I wonder if it would be possible to do the same sort of thing for every character class. :)
I think that would be doable. Sounds a bit like the way backgrounds are handled in 5th Edition D&D. You could have a party where everyone has the acolyte background, for example, and could all serve as priests to some degree.

In 13h Age, you could similarly customize your own backgrounds, which would give mechanical bonuses to "priest-y" thing. In 13th Age, they wouldn't even have to be the same. You could have different characters approach the divine from multiple angles. One may have been raised in the faith. Another is a recent convert who had a life-altering experience. Still another married into the faith and is skeptical, yet can't deny the miracles she observes (the Scully character). But they can all have an overlay of the background mechanic so that they're intimately tied to the church/pantheon.

Return to “13th Age”